Favorite budget tire?

I've had great luck with GTRadial tires on a few different vehicles.

The GT Radial Adventuro AT3 on my truck have aged out. I'm going to replace them with another set probably. They just work well. The GT Radial Champiro Icepro on my Focus baffled me with how good they were.

....The GT Radial Champiro Icepro on my Focus baffled me with how good they were.

Same here. I mail ordered a set of those for one of my minivans some years back. They were under $50/ea IIRC. I ran them for 2 seasons and sold them on the marketplace after we sold the vehicle.

My minimum requirement for a tire is, a speed rating of H or higher, a tread life index of at least 500, and a traction rating of A A or AA A. Except summer tires for the Corvette, where I will go down to a tread life index of 300, and a speed rating of 168 mph minimum.

And I avoid Run Flat tires. Ride too hard, too hard to mount, too heavy. I have a AAA Premier card for a flat bed tow in the event of a flat.

That will weed out a lot of truly terrible tires.

And I avoid Chinese brands entirely.

Hercules tires, manufactured in the US by Cooper.
Mastercraft tires, also made by Cooper
Douglas tires, made for Wall Mart and manufactured by Goodyear.
Multi Mile tires which was Sumitomo .

Have used all 4 of those over the decades without issue in all weather and road conditions.

The Discount Tire house brand Sentry tires are a decent tire for the money. They are a touring all season tire.

Hankook Kinergy. Most of them are made in Tennessee too.

I was going to try the General Altimax, but a flat tire and low tread in the middle of winter changed those plans, and I bought the Nokian Encompass tires that Discount Tire had in stock.

The Nokian Encompass, which cheaper than Michelin or Bridgestone, I would consider too expensive for a budget tire.

I am happy w/the Nokians.

Hankook Kinergy. Most of them are made in Tennessee too.

I was going to try the General Altimax, but a flat tire and low tread in the middle of winter changed those plans, and I bought the Nokian Encompass tires that Discount Tire had in stock.

The Nokian Encompass, which cheaper than Michelin or Bridgestone, I would consider too expensive for a budget tire.

I am happy w/the Nokians.

Ehhh, Hankook Kinergy's were on our Camry when I bought it and I had to replace them almost immediately they were so terrible. Spun in dry weather with just the 4 cylinder and wasn't even driveable in the rain. Not to mentioned sounded like I was driving a truck with super swampers.

Ehhh, Hankook Kinergy's were on our Camry when I bought it and I had to replace them almost immediately they were so terrible. Spun in dry weather with just the 4 cylinder and wasn't even driveable in the rain. Not to mentioned sounded like I was driving a truck with super swampers.
The Hankook Kinergy GT reviews on Tire rack are frightening there on my daughter's GMC terrain she picked up a few weeks ago.

The Hankook Kinergy GT reviews on Tire rack are frightening there on my daughter's GMC terrain she picked up a few weeks ago.

You typically have to take Tire Rack reviews with a grain of salt, but this time they are spot on. Even the like new ones they had to throw on the front before they sold the car to me were terrible.

As I've purchased or helped advise on purchase of three sets, Milestar Tires has been my go to "budget brand". Two sets of Milestar MS932 Sport for a neighbor and family member. Weatherguard AS710 Sport for myself for a 7th gen Accord. The AS710 made in US. All purchased at DT.

^ I had some MS932s in 185/65r15. They wouldn't balance. One wasn't even round. DTD took it back though, good on them. May be good in a different size.

^^^^ Two different size MS932 Sport used, one 7th gen Civic, one 17 Rogue, no balance or ride issues with either. And infinitely better than the replaced Sumitomo tires on the Civic. Curious where the shipped DTD MS932 balance attempt done?

^ I had some MS932s in 185/65r15. They wouldn't balance. One wasn't even round. DTD took it back though, good on them. May be good in a different size.
MileStar is a good budget tire. Tires from any manufacturer can be off spec or take a lot to balance every once in a while. Manufacturing while better than ever-is still not 100% quality.

I just the got the set of Primewell PS830s installed on the Versa today. $215.19 for the 4 and $87 mount/balance. ~$302 is about as budget as it gets for new rubber. Nice looking tires. Rode like a brand new car home from the tire shop. I have my standard expectations of 30K miles max out of them.

When I was at Walmart the installer did a good job. The "service writer" didn't know how to use their software

Back