best budget tire

I put these on a older Passport. Unreal for the money from America's/Discount Tire. Mail order store of these company probably sells them as well. Smooth ride, decent handling, quiet, decent in the rain. I only put 12.000 miles if I recall before we sold the vehicle. No problems at all

Your Size
PROVIDER ENTRADA HT
P 235 /75 R15 108T XL RBL
40,000 mile warranty
$58 plus

Dextero DHT2 tires from walmart are good. I have several friends that run them and they brake fine in the rain and hold up over the miles.

Walmart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tenderloin
I put these on a older Passport. Unreal for the money from America's/Discount Tire. Mail order store of these company probably sells them as well. Smooth ride, decent handling, quiet, decent in the rain. I only put 12.000 miles if I recall before we sold the vehicle. No problems at all

Your Size
PROVIDER ENTRADA HT
P 235 /75 R15 108T XL RBL
40,000 mile warranty
$58 plus

+1 although I only have a pair of these on my trailer in this size. Have had for 4-1/2 years, no problems.

Our 2015 Sonic came with Hankook tires . By the time it rolled around to 30,000 miles , I started to think about tires . By close to 40,000 miles , it really needed tires . After a lot of internet research , I ended up with 4 more Hankook tires , from Walmart .

Now , at around 75,000 miles , I am guessing they may have another 10,000 miles left ? I am satisfied .

Still like my Walmart only General Exclaims. Wearing well, maybe a bit noisier with wear but still good. When will their auto and tire centers reopen-- hope Canada isn't a precursor.

Girlfriend likes Starfire Solarus she also got at Wally ('17 Optima). Very quiet, don't think it will match the Exclaims in treadwear. Cooper's economy brand made in Mississippi.

I've had good luck with Delta Tires. The contract through manufacturers like Cooper, so they are good tires on the cheap.

Originally Posted by cb_13
235 75r15 you can still get the Goodyear Wrangler(just Wrangler not adventure or ats). There's nothing special about them but they're cheap, safe and will last 30-40k. There are tons of square body Cherokees and Ford Rangers out there driving around on those tires.

I see old square body C/K1500's on these tires around here … actually a decent tread design

Old stock or used tires are never any value, since these are separation hazard.

No tire should ever be put on if older than 3 or 4 years and you know you'll wear them in a year or so.

I take lots of maintenance shortcuts, but never on tires.

Lately I run Michelin PSS and PS4S on my cars, and they are much tougher than those basic OEM 35 psi top pressure tires.

I'd be looking at used deals on CL. I'm not sure if demand is up on used tires or not, but all things considered, I'd be tempted to go as cheap as possible while saving up for a decent set of tires. All the used cars that I bought came with used tires... not sure if some of the corner shops have some good deals, if they are low on business.

I'm not against cheapie Chinese tires as much as I'm dubious that they offer true budget performance--no cost savings if they cost half as much but wear out 3 times faster, or get sketchy in the rain sooner. Only if they will age out. I get it the premise of not having money, but "budget" can mean either low up front cost or low lifetime cost. Anyhow. It's an older vehicle and we're not given much info. I'd probably get the cheapest from a tire shop that I'd want to return to for any sort of warranty work, road hazard or the like, Walmart might be a good place since they're all over the place. I was tempted to run Douglass a couple of times but always have had the coin to go better--but IIRC their main complaint was fast wear, and that might be acceptable here. No end to the choices, which is why it might be easier to pick a tire shop instead, see what cheap options they have, and then pick the one that hits the sweet spot (be it price, longevity, wet traction, whatever).

Originally Posted by jsfalls
I have had good success with Ironman tires, and we usually put them on used cars at work that need tires. They are in that price range. No complaints. Their truck/"mud" tires are pretty dang good (for the price point).

I did not feel good about it but recently bought two Ironman tires to make a matching set.
Made in Taiwan. That's what I didn't care for.
Local shop said " oh you don't want those "
Umm yeah actually I do
From eBay, two days to my door ( actually my neighbors door thanks to a careless fedex driver ) free shipping.
Mounted and balanced at my local Midas for $15 a wheel.
One tire balanced out with one 1/4 ounce weight.
Smooth and very quiet for a chunky truck tire.

Originally Posted by Triplicate
I looked for tires online for about a week, looked at indy mechanics, chains, big box stores, and online retailers.

Best price I saw was at the wholesale clubs like Costco/Sam's/BJs. Uniroyals and Bridgestones.

I wouldn't drive on or let my family drive on dangerously cheap tires.

Cheap tires are not neccssarily dangerous. Depends on the brand. Just FYI.

Originally Posted by Fattylocks
I have had good success with Ironman tires, and we usually put them on used cars at work that need tires. They are in that price range. No complaints. Their truck/"mud" tires are pretty dang good (for the price point).

I did not feel good about it but recently bought two Ironman tires to make a matching set.
Umm yeah actually I do
From eBay, two days to my door ( actually my neighbors door thanks to a careless fedex driver ) free shipping.

Iroman are not a bad tire for the price.

My son is in So. Cal. so winter driving is not an issue. He went with Cooper at my recommendation and those of BITOG
The "American Made" is what sold me
smile.gif

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Fattylocks

Umm yeah actually I do

Iroman are not a bad tire for the price.

Ironman are a bad tire at any price. I've seen them wore out in 15k. Bulges on the sidewall. Frequently out of round.

Back