Tires wearing evenly. Do I need to rotate?

If you must pay for a rotation each time and you drive a AWD then I say no-just my experience over many 100 of thousands of miles in several vehicles like my CX5, a Subaru and a Volvo. "Your results may vary:" -:))
AWD vehicles here and always will be uneven front to back without rotation in my experience. I don't do a cross...just front to back. Current Michelin PSAS4 on awd Sportwagen with less than 20K miles on them are 2/32" more worn front to back. Have to rotate.

Last edited:
Can I replace just two tires with AWD?
My recent experience is that a tire shop may not replace just two if the other two will have a tread depth difference of maybe 4/32" from the brand new tires.
So, you may have two perfectly serviceable tires with life left in them that will have to be replaced too. AWD systems supposedly need to have all 4 tires basically the same circumference so as to not strain the mechanical system.
That said, it seems like the best way to get the maximum life out of all 4 tires is to rotate them and have them all need replacement at the same time.
My problem is I'm getting a little too old to be kneeling and rotating tires and you can't go anyplace on a weekend to get it done without it turning into at least 2 hours, and then having the hard sell thrown at you for all the other "issues" that they find, either real or imagined.

Do you measure wear across the entire width of tire?

In normal driving right turns are generally sharper than left turns. Therefore you may get more wear on the right front tire.

That's another reason to rotate. Assuming your tires are not unidirectional.

Your tires last 30k miles? I don't have that problem. :ROFLMAO: Partially that's the case because I may need some snow traction year-round. Lots of places in the Sierras and Oregon have a bit of snow and ice even in the summer. A few years ago I ended up driving through Lassen in June and it was snowing.
On my RWD 335, interestingly, the factory OE RE050A RFTs lasted 40k but the rears were to the west indicators while fronts could go more. 3/4 were plugged my me (a no no I’ve been told) so it was time to get rid of them.

They were staggered and non directional, so it would have been possible to go left to right etc, but I never did

I don't rotate wires. My car wears our the rears faster than the front.

Its not worth the cost or effort. Only if its free, go ahead.

I only rotate once, halfways through the tires life. Usually at 25K miles or so. This strategy has saved money and time, and made zero difference in the tire sets lifespan.

Back