Tires wearing evenly. Do I need to rotate?

walterjay

Site Donor 2023
My 23 Tucson AWD has 10,300 miles on the factory Michelins. Checked with tire guage and found all tires wearing very even. I am inclined to not rotate the tires as recommended. What would I accomplish?

Your thoughts please.

I haven't had non-directional tires in >20 years. All I do is a front-to-rear and vice versa swap as needed. With non-directional tires, I would rotate them regularly if I want to wear them all out at the same time or if I see uneven wear patterns (ie shoulder wear from frisky curve-driving) that should be addressed.

One more thought on why I am no longer all that much in favor of front-to-rear and vice versa swaps either: Our potholes are held together by intermittent pavement only. The front tires take a lot of impacts every day and I'm not crazy about the idea of putting the front tires that may have unknown impact damage on the rear axle. A blowout on the rear is more of a concern than one on the front axle.
I now tend to wear the front tires down, buy two new tires and put them on the rear, and put the old rear tires on the front.

Last edited:
You rotate if you want to even out the wear from an alignment issue or normal wear rate between front and rear being different. Even if one pair wore more than the other, you could just as well skip the rotation and replace the pair that wears out first instead of all 4 at once. From your description, I wouldn't bother doing it and risk a shop messing something up.

Rotate as needed. If you are attentive you’ll see an edge starting to wear. Recreational rotations open the door to warped rotors in my opinion.

Yes. Front tires always wear differently than Rears. The differences may not be apparent at this point, but if you leave them this way for 30K, they will be apparent.
Your tires last 30k miles? I don't have that problem. :ROFLMAO: Partially that's the case because I may need some snow traction year-round. Lots of places in the Sierras and Oregon have a bit of snow and ice even in the summer. A few years ago I ended up driving through Lassen in June and it was snowing.

Last edited:
On my sierra I don't rotate my tires. It's aligned and stays aligned since I'm the only one that drives it so it never hits a curb so they wear evenly until they're completely worn down. Different story on the two suv's though.

Yes. Front tires always wear differently than Rears. The differences may not be apparent at this point, but if you leave them this way for 30K, they will be apparent.

This is the right answer, as the front wheels typically bear the brunt of a vehicle's braking and turning. I rotate (generally in a forward-cross pattern) every oil change (6-7K miles). Just replaced the Cooper CS5 Tourings on my 2005 Caravan -- 66,950 beautifully worn miles. Would have never gotten that kind of mileage without consistent rotation.

On the other hand, some folks prefer to not rotate their tires and replace in pairs in lieu of complete sets. To each their own.

My 23 Tucson AWD has 10,300 miles on the factory Michelins. Checked with tire guage and found all tires wearing very even. I am inclined to not rotate the tires as recommended. What would I accomplish?

Your thoughts please.
walterjay

Thanks for Posting!
I have plenty of experience on this Subject.
I have a 2011 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 King Ranch with 376k miles in my signature. I drive lots of highway miles, and rotate my tires @7500 miles.
I recently bought my 6th set of Michelin Defenders. They come with 12/32" of Tread when they're brand new. I run them for 75k miles, down to 6/32" and sell them for $300-$350 on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist. This 7500 mile tire rotation strategy has served me well for the last 10+ yrs.
Best of luck to you

Your thoughts please.
I rotate regardless unless multiple readings per tire center, inside, outside are ALL consistent.

I rotate 2x per year. Winter tires on steel rims go on in November, and stock alloys with all season factory rubber go back on. Easy to see which were in the rear, they have the most stones in the treads. I mark then inside the hub with a Sharpie simple example, '23 PR, means the tire was removed in 2023 from passenger side rear. The other tires would be:
'23 PF
'23 DF
'23 DR

My future DIL '21 Tucson AWD was showing front edge wear at about 15k. I did the cross rotation for her. She has the factory Michelin's. Shop that did her oil changed didn't rotate them when it was in for OCI. I could see it visually, confirmed with depth gauge. I think she has about 20k on the vehicle now.

I find that my FWD will feather rear tires, and rotate at 5k. Wifes new car isn’t as bad, but the problem gets worse with time, regardless of recent alignment. The older the car, the more they feather. But if wear is even, as measured and as felt by lack of feathering by hand, yeah I’d skip the rotation.

Back