Tire rotation for AWD?

Hi Everyone, and thank you in advance for your feedback.

My apologies for asking a question I think I may know the answer to, but just looking for some validation to ensure I am doing the right thing.

Bottom line question: Is it important that regularly I rotate my OEM Bridgestone Ecopia (H/L 422 Plus) tires on an AWD 2023 Mazda CX-9?

A little background: I have always been diligent in rotating tires on all of our cars after I replace the OEM tires with something from DT or Costco, but not so much the OEM tires for some reason. I have had a company car for the last 20+ years, but moved employers to a company who does a car allowance instead of a company car, so I purchased a 2023 Mazda CX-9 (my first AWD vehicle). I have had it for 7 months, and visited the dealership today for its first oil change at 5K miles. The initial service is free, and they also rotated the tires. Knowing that I will be doing 5K mile OCIs, should I plan to rotate the tires every 5K or 10K miles too, or just rotate if I notice any uneven wear?

I would first see if they actually rotated tires, but you should continue to do so as per recommendations.

that being said, i personally havent figured out the secret to keeping oem tires, they all seem to need replacement sooner then later then the set that replaces them

Unless they are wearing unevenly, it's a waste of time except if this is one of those picky AWD systems that can't have one tire with more wear (different diameter) than the other.

Is it a primarily FWD bias awd system (like most)? If so, rotate them like a FWD car.

Rule of thumb to memorize is “Don’t cross the drive wheels”. Meaning:

- bring the rear to the front, and CROSS them side-to-side
- bring the front straight back, not crossing them.

I do this every oil change, ~7,500 mi. You could do 5k or 10k, but I’d do 5k myself and err for caution. Once you get uneven wear going, it’s harder to correct. Don’t let it happen in the first place is the best plan.

I would rotate them every second OCI at least, might as well have all 4 wear out at once.
For me with non-directional tires, like OEM all seasons, every Spring the two with the most tread get put on the front and I don't worry about crossing them over or not. So far I've never had a problem doing this and the tires wear pretty evenly.

We bought a certified previously owned 2019 Lexus RX350 AWD, and the maintenance schedule provides for tire rotation every 5000 miles (!)

You can do it or have it done every second oil change to keep it simple, and if doing it yourself and want it simple, again, just swap tires front to rear, much better than not doing it at all.

Those model same Bridgestone tires came factory on the Durango. I used to rotate between 6k-8k with oil changes and got 63k out of them. Would have went longer (probably 70k plus) had I not been going into winter wanting more tread depth and winter traction.

I rotate once a year or 5 - 10k whichever comes 1st. only all wheel drive vehicle I owned was a 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i which the tires rotated in an X order.

[QUOTE="I I would get rid of those tires asap. They’re absolute trash.
[/QUOTE]
Ha! Agreed. They are not terrible, but I am not super motivated to make them last as long as possible.

Thank you, everyone. They received their first rotation at 5K miles today, I will rotate every 10K from here and see how it goes. I really like the car so far. It is better in every way (except cargo space) than the Ford Explorer company car I had. I really did not want a 3 row SUV, but I could not find a 2 row one that was really talking to me in my price range, and there is no such thing as the Mazda CX-7 (or 70) yet, so here we are.

I was already low-key eyeing some Michelin Cross Climate 2s for when the OEM Bridgestones need to be replaced, but that will likely be a while from now, so we'll see what is available then.

I would first see if they actually rotated tires, but you should continue to do so as per recommendations.

that being said, i personally havent figured out the secret to keeping oem tires, they all seem to need replacement sooner then later then the set that replaces them
Same for me too.

Back