How even is the tread depth on new tires?

I was checking my tire wear. I have 0.5 mm to 0.8 mm less tread on the sides than the middle.

I am thinking I need to increase my tire pressure.

Just like the motor oil I think the factory tire pressure is wrong.

How even is the tread depth supposed to be across a brand new tire? Will a new tire have sides 0.5 mm less depth than the middle?

My brand new tires have slightly deeper tread in the middle than at the edges. I run them with a little extra air pressure for better gas mileage, so the middle will probably still wear out first even though it's deeper. The difference between the middle and the edge of the tread is less than 2mm

I was checking my tire wear. I have 0.5 mm to 0.8 mm less tread on the sides than the middle.

I am thinking I need to increase my tire pressure.

Just like the motor oil I think the factory tire pressure is wrong.

How even is the tread depth supposed to be across a brand new tire? Will a new tire have sides 0.5 mm less depth than the middle?
I was surprised to see that the tread on my new canadian tire winteredge's were near 9/32 on the shoulders and 11/32 in the middle... Seems quite dumb for a winter tire especially, and I haven't seen that before on any tires, but I read that its not uncommon now.
So far they are working pretty well, not obviously worse in any condition compared to the blizzak ws80's I had before, but I'll see how these wear? Seems like I'll probably lose 1 winters usage.
Going forward I will check to see that the tread depth is all the way across the tires, especially on winters...

Will a new tire have sides 0.5 mm less depth than the middle?
Yes! It stiffens the side blocks, otherwise they'd squirm too much.

As your tire wears, the separation between the side blocks will go away and you'll get a very boring looking tread, with still legal central cirumferential grooves.

I treat the factory recommended tire pressure as a starting point. I remember, I think it was Ford with Explorers, about 20 years ago, recommending a low tire pressure to give a softer ride. Instead, it caused overloaded Firestone tires to fall apart at Interstate speeds with a fully loaded vehicle.

A fusspot will take into account the vehicle load, the ambient temperatures, and speed in setting an optimal pressure. And then might change it if conditions change.

Back