Discount Tire - Issue?

Wondering if I’m just being a grumpy old man or Discount Tire needs to rebalance a new tire:
Selected 4 Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 tires (275-55-20 / $1,200+) and had an appointment with the local Discount Tire store. They were fast and efficient. In and out in just over an hour. Truck rides smooth with no vibrations. Found that the right rear has 4.5 ounces of weight. There are a row of 18 1/4 ounce weights on the inside of the wheel. I was taught if a tire had a “heavy spot” while attempting to balance, the tire should be broken down and rotated 180 degrees then rebalanced. Am I being a total jerk for thinking….? 1. Michelins shouldn’t need that much weight. 2. Discount Tire should rebalance this tire. If this was a lower tier tire it may be the norm. Obsessing I know….

I am a grumpy old man too and I would ask them to remount the tire to get some of the weights off. I have found in the many years I have been using Michelin tires is that they dont need a lot of weights to balance. I have even had tires in the past that did NOT need any weights on them. I think what has happened it the person that did the work really did not care or did not know what to do to remount the tire....This is a sad state that many tire stores have now...very little experience people doing the tire mounting and balancing....

They should have spun the tire 180 degrees on the rim and tried again. But yes, the problem here is both 1 and 2.
Apparently, Michelin has some production and quality control issues as well. That much weight just to balance a $300 tire?
Also, did they try to "hide" that tire with all the weight on the passenger rear, or was it just a coincidence?

Last edited:
I am a grumpy old man too and I would ask them to remount the tire to get some of the weights off. I have found in the many years I have been using Michelin tires is that they dont need a lot of weights to balance. I have even had tires in the past that did NOT need any weights on them. I think what has happened it the person that did the work really did not care or did not know what to do to remount the tire....This is a sad state that many tire stores have now...very little experience people doing the tire mounting and balancing....
That’s my thinking also…

Reactions: hrv
Discount Tire has been really good to me and I know if I asked them to check out a tire and try a correction they would do it without hesitation. I always buy the free rotation package and flat repair. I have 4 vehicles and a boat and they all get Discount Tires put on them when needed. I just bought a brand new set of Michelins for our previous Jeep GC and sold it a month later. BTW Michelins are my go to tire however I put new take off wheels and tires on my F150 and went to DT and they sold me the warranty, balancing, and free flat repair package so I am covered.

Discount Tire has been really good to me and I know if I asked them to check out a tire and try a correction they would do it without hesitation. I always buy the free rotation package and flat repair. I have 4 vehicles and a boat and they all get Discount Tires put on them when needed. I just bought a brand new set of Michelins for our previous Jeep GC and sold it a month later. BTW Michelins are my go to tire however I put new take off wheels and tires on my F150 and went to DT and they sold me the warranty, balancing, and free flat repair package so I am covered.
If you buy it, it's not free.

2 thoughts:

1) You don't have a vibration, so the only problem is the way it looks, but only if you look inside the wheel?

2) Are the weights kind of flat and close to the spokes? It requires more weight if the balance weights are there because the weights are closer to the axis of rotation.

That tire's a turkey. The mechanic does care and know what's going on, that's why he put it on the right rear, where its least likely to be felt. For all you know it balanced even worse and he already broke it down and did the 180. The mechanic doesn't choose the car, the tire, or make financial decisions on warranty replacement, so he's probably on your side.

You'll want to find out what the maximum weight for balancing is within Michelins spec, and if you're over, get a replacement under warranty. A 15" passenger tire is usually 2 ounces, so a 20" truck tire could be 4.

Does DT offer a "ride guarantee?" For what you paid, you can be picky. I'd chat them up... nicely.

2 thoughts:

1) You don't have a vibration, so the only problem is the way it looks, but only if you look inside the wheel?

2) Are the weights kind of flat and close to the spokes? It requires more weight if the balance weights are there because the weights are closer to the axis of rotation.
I don’t disagree with you however my belief is when you pay for the highest priced/quaility tire (or anything) there should be some extra care to ensure the installation is done with like effort. The issue stems from the low payed individual that will do only the minimum of what’s required in his specific job. I understand that to a degree but as a consumer I payed their price for the highest quality and expect that through and through.

I just put new tires on the Durango. It took them about 20 minutes with three guys to put the new tires on, I watched them and they were hustling. Hustling too much evidently, because they borked the balancing. The first time I drove on the highway, it shook like nobody's business. I took it back to the tire store and told them to please rebalance the tires. Each tire was a minimum of 2.5oz off!! The second time they balanced the tires they took the time to get it right. Cruising down the interstate, it's as smooth as can be.

At minimum, I believe you should take the tires back and have them check the balance.

Sounds like a perfect candidate for a Road Force.

FWIW, i used to frequent Discount tire a lot around the country - at least at that time almost none of them had a road force balancer and the ones that did i never saw them actually use it for anything other than a regular balance.

I would go back and basically insist they improve that.

You don't mention your wheels, but if you don't want weights on the outside, as CR mentioned it will take more weight.

The last time i talked to Michelin they would not commit to a number for weight or road force as too much...

Even though the "Truck rides smooth with no vibrations" based on the OP and follow up comments, clear you're unsatisfied with 'how' the tire was balanced. Only solution, take it back and tell them you would like to get it rebalanced. Might be a good idea to share why, so it's not done the same on follow-up. As for the "low paid individual", 'imo' I find that to be irrelevant here.

I don’t disagree with you however my belief is when you pay for the highest priced/quaility tire (or anything) there should be some extra care to ensure the installation is done with like effort. The issue stems from the low payed individual that will do only the minimum of what’s required in his specific job. I understand that to a degree but as a consumer I payed their price for the highest quality and expect that through and through.
"Paid."

You chose the truck, the tires, and the location. The mechanic balanced the tires you chose on the rims you own, and the truck rides nicely. Your only question is, could this be better? It can be better if the tire can be broken down to find a sweeter match with the rim, or replaced with a new tire like the other three you got.

And remember, you went to "discount tire" not "full service tire". Where are the discount guys going to save money? If the mechanic is low paid (how do you know this?) did you do anything to rectify this like tipping the guy? Do you consider the mechanic to have the expertise and/or motivation to make this acceptable to you? If he doesn't, is it a systemic problem with how the store is run or an individual problem? Did you communicate to anyone at the store yet that you think this could be better?

If it’s smooth leave it alone. If you could use a clip on weight on the outside it would probably be half that. It’s all about the weight placement and most newer alloy wheels do not have a lip for a weight on the outside. Plus your dealing with a 20 inch monster of a tire. I mount a lot of tires and I’d be willing to bet if they spun it 180 it would take about the same amount of weight.
Michelins are not what they used to be in terms of uniformity (but still a great tire). When I was a kid mounting tires at Sears, a Road Handler Michelin would frequently spin up all balanced with no weight. We were instructed to add a quarter ounce so that the customer didn’t come back complaining the tire wasn‘t balanced.

"Paid."

You chose the truck, the tires, and the location. The mechanic balanced the tires you chose on the rims you own, and the truck rides nicely. Your only question is, could this be better? It can be better if the tire can be broken down to find a sweeter match with the rim, or replaced with a new tire like the other three you got.

And remember, you went to "discount tire" not "full service tire". Where are the discount guys going to save money? If the mechanic is low paid (how do you know this?) did you do anything to rectify this like tipping the guy? Do you consider the mechanic to have the expertise and/or motivation to make this acceptable to you? If he doesn't, is it a systemic problem with how the store is run or an individual problem? Did you communicate to anyone at the store yet that you think this could be better?
Gee, I’m beginning to think I’m wrong in every way here. Maybe I should have gone to that “full service tire” retailer you’re speaking of. Who might that be? I’m not one for tipping merely because I don’t have the extra money to expend for folks (exceptions are waiters) just to do what they are paid to do. No I don’t know if the Discount Tire guys are low paid to sling tires but I imagine if they did pay really well there would be more working over the age of 22. Never see any older guys in these shops??? Yes I chose my truck (mid level options) however I do take care of my equipment and think that a glob of tire weights (all 1/4 ounce totaling 4.5 ounces) is sloppy work. Thanks for your input and dissertation here. Opinions are like buttholes, we all have one….

Sounds like a perfect candidate for a Road Force.

FWIW, i used to frequent Discount tire a lot around the country - at least at that time almost none of them had a road force balancer and the ones that did i never saw them actually use it for anything other than a regular balance.
Last DT I went to was like this. I was watching through the glass and the Road Force balancer actually displayed a warning on the screen for several people's tires that a high RF value was detected. The tech just closed the warning, slapped on weights and moved onto the next tire.

Test the suspect tire for vibrations by mounting it at the left front position on your vehicle, and go for a 70mph drive.

As with any business, you have employees who are competent and conscientious, and employees who are just trying to do the absolute minimum. If there is currently no damage to the wheels, and it rides smooth, I'd probably leave well enough alone.

As @CapriRacer said, it will require more weight attached to the barrel of the wheel to achieve acceptable balance, versus pounding a weight onto the wheel flange, if the wheel has a flange that accommodates weights.

Back