Tire troubles on multiple vehicles

I would have thought there weren't 'potholes' in Arizona with the climate there....but I guess the lack of road maintenance has gone national.
Our roads are usually decent, but after a rainy spell (which we just had) it seems to soak in weak spots and we get big potholes.

That was Sunday, re-read that paragraph again lol.

This:
Sunday (today) I drove on the freeway and notice my steering wheel is a little crooked. Decided to rotate the front tires to see if it was a pull due to having a new tire or likely an alignment issue from the pothole. Went to lower the car down on the left side and didn't see what was clearly in front of me my jack stand which put a hole in the plastic rocker panel and dented it out. Great. Went to the right side and my 1,170 ft/lbs Ryobi 18V impact can't remove one of the lug nuts. It was slightly turning but I stopped, Discount Tire can figure it out tomorrow.

I thought the same thing as Rand and AdmiralYoda. Our freshly fixed roads around here look like that. The sewer covers are that deep in some places.

@Nick1994 - rocker panel plastic or metal? Can you warm it up with heat gun / hair dryer and pop it back out? Some bondo/silicone to seal the hole maybe. shot of touch up paint? Bummer on that.

My daughter felt a screw needed a new home yesterday so she took it in. Can I start another "is this fixable" thread? Nope, no thread, no fix. Just not sure on replacement yet since it's the 5 year old snows with 7/32" left. Would have been good for next season most likely and then replacement. Full size spare doesn't have the TPMS sensor so now system warning light is on and can't figure how to shut it off (without installing a sensor) '19 Pilot EX-L AWD.

My daughters '08 CRV will not let you turn off stability control if TPMS system issue is on. I'll need to check if Pilot lets you use snow/mud/sand or turn off nanny controls. Might be good to know for future on the beach off road etc.
IMG_5271.jpg

IMG_5273.jpg

I thought the same thing as Rand and AdmiralYoda. Our freshly fixed roads around here look like that. The sewer covers are that deep in some places.

@Nick1994 - rocker panel plastic or metal? Can you warm it up with heat gun / hair dryer and pop it back out? Some bondo/silicone to seal the hole maybe. shot of touch up paint? Bummer on that.

My daughter felt a screw needed a new home yesterday so she took it in. Can I start another "is this fixable" thread? Nope, no thread, no fix. Just not sure on replacement yet since it's the 5 year old snows with 7/32" left. Would have been good for next season most likely and then replacement. Full size spare doesn't have the TPMS sensor so now system warning light is on and can't figure how to shut it off (without installing a sensor) '19 Pilot EX-L AWD.

My daughters '08 CRV will not let you turn off stability control if TPMS system issue is on. I'll need to check if Pilot lets you use snow/mud/sand or turn off nanny controls. Might be good to know for future on the beach off road etc.
View attachment 201290
View attachment 201291
It’s plastic, but too damaged to try to pop in and out

To update this thread, Monday I took the Genesis to Discount Tire and they were able to get the lug nut off, by snapping the stud. They tried to give me a voucher for Brake Masters to replace the stud, told the manager that “Sorry, but there’s only 2 places that will work on my car. The shop next door or the dealership” so they paid for the shop next door to replace it, just got it back today.

And today I took the Sonata to Walmart for the install on 2 new tires.

Next Monday the Genesis goes to the dealer for an alignment.

@Nick1994 - it’s hard to have nice things. I’m laughing so hard. “…Rhymes with truck” I’m glad you got it sorted. Hopefully the city doesn’t give you much trouble.

We had a recent massive freeze here with about 1” of solid ice and there are some large potholes here. I’ve got 65 series tires here than absorb pretty well, but grit my teeth every time. A smaller vehicle with high-po wheels would suffer hard.

I had filed a claim with NYS DOT when I hit a crater, bubbled the tire, bent the rim. I was looking for rim repair and cover alignment. Tire was covered under road hazard. They claimed they were not notified of issues prior in that area. I guess the news reports, DOT filling holes 24 hours a day, cars broken down everyday in that area was not enough. 6 months later with approved grants they repaved like 25 miles of the expressway because of all the issues. I re-submitted and it was denied again.

I hope you have better luck.

Between all the lanes was like this for miles in both directions. Changing lanes was a hazard, had to be planned further out and not to be done at night. I got the night time in that one when raining because somebody swerved to avoid another car with flat tire on side of the road. The asphalt layers are about 8" thick when they redo them around us on the highways.
1707019886467.jpg

That pothole wasnt much of a hole by Ohio standards.. rubber band tires dont help of course.
Another reason why people like trucks... at least the ones with normal wheel sizes.
When you drive on roads with potholes that could be mistaken for bomb craters.
I remember growing up in Cleveland we called them chuck holes..

Back