Tire troubles on multiple vehicles

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Well, Thursday I left work in the Genesis for an oil change at the dealer (blasphemy, I know) and hit a pothole at only about 20 mph which put a hole and bubble in my right front tire. Got the donut on in about 10 minutes and made it to my appointment. Called Discount Tire and had them order my tire in for a Saturday appointment.

Friday morning I was going to take the Genesis up North for a 350 mile day trip to see the snow, so I had to take the ol' Sonata. Made it just fine until I was 15 miles from home and my steering wheel started going to the right, knew it must have been a tire so I pulled over and sure enough, the right rear tire is completely flat. It was super hot and is warped so not fixable. Luckily I had just filled up the 17 year old donut the night before my trip so it was ready to go, I've had lots of practice with changing tires in the past 24 hours so once again, 10 minutes and I'm back on the road.

Saturday morning I get up and my sister is helping me drive the Sonata to Discount Tire for a full size wheel/tire for a spare to get us by until later in the week. Had the actual replacement tire on order through Walmart so it matches what I put on it a year ago. The front right tire is flat! Whatever I ran over on the freeway the day before punctured this tire too, but it isn't as fast of a leak. Pumped it up, Discount Tire can't repair it as it's too close to the sidewall. Fine, I'll pump it up until my 2nd Walmart tire comes in and have a matching pair. The Genesis gets its' new tire.

Sunday (today) I drove on the freeway and notice my steering wheel is a little crooked. Decided to rotate the front tires to see if it was a pull due to having a new tire or likely an alignment issue from the pothole. Went to lower the car down on the left side and didn't see what was clearly in front of me my jack stand which put a hole in the plastic rocker panel and dented it out. Great. Went to the right side and my 1,170 ft/lbs Ryobi 18V impact can't remove one of the lug nuts. It was slightly turning but I stopped, Discount Tire can figure it out tomorrow.

So 4 tires bought, 1 wheel, 1 ruined rocker panel, and a stripped lug nut and maybe a stud.

I got the pothole hit on dashcam, but I won't post it on here as I say a word that rhymes with "truck" when I hit it. Will be sending it, pictures, and my receipts to the city for reimbursement. I reported it that same day.

I feel like at this point I have to duel the Michelin Man in a boxing ring or something to get it to stop 🤣. Picture dump below for your viewing pleasure.

011A4202-85CA-4602-B5EC-F58B8A621AA1.jpeg
9797F128-0664-4414-A16F-E806999A0BDA.jpeg
3DBDE8E5-B7A0-4FF1-AA2A-907282814A3D.jpeg

D6794CBA-863A-4E45-80F9-E4241E1DF16F.jpeg

83805FC2-9D9A-4F9A-92CF-F6B7900EABB8.jpeg

047F99A8-EECB-42F8-B317-E98B1CECA378.jpeg
A163E68C-F174-4178-97C6-B3EC9429FDC8.jpeg
1EDF170F-F14C-404C-B93D-56CD6A2FAB43.jpeg
B75F228C-913D-40E6-9880-C558B81FAA79.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like at this point I have to duel the Michelin Man in a boxing ring or something to get it to stop 🤣. Picture dump below for your viewing pleasure.
This line almost made me spit out my coffee. :LOL:

That sucks man! I never had a flat tire in my life until about 2 years ago at my previous job I was driving to school districts all over the state. This one district had a ton of construction going on around 3 of the buildings. I came out and sure enough I ran over a nail and one tire was flat. Luckily I don't believe in BMW's "run-flats only, no spare" BS so I have a donut in the trunk. Threw it on and got the tire repaired. Three days later I was at that same school district and got another nail in a different tire. :mad: I was ready to send the construction crew a bill.

I would have thought there weren't 'potholes' in Arizona with the climate there....but I guess the lack of road maintenance has gone national.

They got a lot of roads for the comparatively smaller fund distribution and some of the federal roads don’t get as much love as others. That and corruptions where the need to hire 6 people to observe the 7th person figuring out how to use a shovel to make a hole to get dirt to fill another hole is the cause. I had been on AZ roads and whole the interstate roads are generally fine due to the lack of snow and freezing weather, there were less than stellar spots. Even the big bad DC metro area with its limitless funding have crappy interstate roads, that are full all the time, making maintenance a much bigger logistic nightmare. Texas does a better job with road maintenance because the state generate a lot more revenues and have politicians knowing how to demands more funding.

So 4 tires bought, 1 wheel, 1 ruined rocker panel, and a stripped lug nut and maybe a stud.

I got the pothole hit on dashcam, but I won't post it on here as I say a word that rhymes with "truck" when I hit it. Will be sending it, pictures, and my receipts to the city for reimbursement. I reported it that same day.

Is reimbursement from pothole damage something that is covered by the govt. in Phoenix? My co-worker hit an 8-inch deep pothole leaving work last year that actually cracked a weld on his rear rigid axle beam! He reported it to the city and they said he would have to claim it on his personal collision insurance. It ended up being a $3700 repair bill on the Nissan Sentra.

Is reimbursement from pothole damage something that is covered by the govt. in Phoenix? My co-worker hit an 8-inch deep pothole leaving work last year that actually cracked a weld on his rear rigid axle beam! He reported it to the city and they said he would have to claim it on his personal collision insurance. It ended up being a $3700 repair bill on the Nissan Sentra.
I think at times of blatant liability (multiple cases and obvious) they’ll give lesser hassle in paying a claim. But usually I’d expect them to tell you to take a hike.

I’d figure if it was anything substantial, either get a lawyers opinion or file a claim on your insurance and ask them about going after the municipality whose neglect caused the loss?

God that sucks.

The city of Buffalo would like to interview that pothole for a position on Delaware avenue.
The worst highway I had ever been one is the one snaking though Pennsylvania. Not sure the name but it is like cobble stone for 60+ miles and connect back to Route 1. I was one it twice because other roads before and after it are great and it is nice to see other states’ cities via their main streets instead of boring interstate. And I thought the interstate right outside richmond, VA was bad as I call it ‘Patches’ for the continuation of patches across 6 lanes. Best roads I know go to parts of Texas, many parts of Florida, and VA. You can drives for miles and sometime a few hundreds of miles of both interstate and state roads in perfect conditions.

So you went back to the scene of the crime, the infamous pothole, and took a picture the day after? 😁

Interestingly, your LA potholes are way different than mine. We throw a 1.5" top coat of asphalt over the existing road, but it chips and gets ripped up by snow plows. Yours just kind of crumbled into itself.

I would have thought there weren't 'potholes' in Arizona with the climate there....but I guess the lack of road maintenance has gone national.
Contrary to popular opinion, the whole state of Arizona is not Phoenix. In fact, most of the state is not. Arizona has LOTS of mountains. I live at 3.600 feet, Flagstaff and many other places are considerably higher. Here we go from highs of up to 110 or more and lows down to 10 degrees. That puts a lot of stress on payment.

Also, Arizona highways tend to be very poorly constructed with not nearly enough ballast under the pavement. AZDOT needs to study how the Romans built roads. So, the roads are not only subject to the stresses of weather, they are also working up and down because of bad design. Hwy 93 going from Kingman to the dam is a good example and I-40 going east to Flagstaff is another.

If you live in Arizona, you need good quality tires.

I feel sorry for you, and for anyone driving in winter (pothole harvest time) with low profile tires. Recipe for easy damage, but I agree they look so nice. I realized after posting the OP is in Arizona. You don't have a pothole harvest season, so your potholes must be imported.

Dealers will be using your experience as a example of why customers should purchase that wheel and rim protection plan

Pennsylvania claims to dump millions into road repair, I'm wondering where they dump it , i could use a few thousand

The Arizona potholes are mostly because the roads are pretty thin (doesn't have to be freeze resistant) so after the asphalt gets a few cracks in it and starts to sink below the rest of the road surface the pothole grows quickly, especially if the dirt underneath gets wet.

05jettaTDI knows what's up. The worst section is the 89 between Flagstaff and page, across the indian reservation. I don't think anyone important cares about that road, though they did smooth out some of the lumps with a grinding machine a year or two ago. It's so bad that I've seen full size toy haulers become airborne on that stretch.

Back