Spare Wheels and Tires at Walmart

I bought some General tires through Walmart that I need to have mounted on separate new rims.
I'm switching from 19" summer tires to 18" all-weather tires.
I have an appointment for next week. I was thinking that I would just take the new rims in and install them on the car at home instead of having them do it. I don't want to get into a situation where they tell me that they can't put 18" wheels and tires on my car.
Am I over-thinking here? Does anyone know their policy on wheel swaps?

I've had multiple tire/wheel purchases through Walmart over the years. My experience has been that each location seems to enforce their own set of rules depending on who's managing the TLE at the time. Some are very easy to deal with; others not so much. The only way you'll know is to ask at your preferred location.

Perfect example from my personal experiences, all at the same store:

- Got some OE wheels as a spare set and bought winter tires for my F250; same size as OE. It was early fall at the time. They told me that to have the warranty intact, I had to have the tires/wheels installed on the truck when I drove out. Yes; what a PITB. I had to drive home on the snow tires, and then swap the others back on until winter rolled around.

- Same truck, about a year later. I needed new all-season tires. I decided to go up "one size" from the OE that came on the truck. They installed them and didn't blink an eye.

Last edited:
I bought some General tires through Walmart that I need to have mounted on separate new rims.
I have an appointment for next week. I was thinking that I would just take the new rims in and install them on the car at home instead of having them do it. I don't want to get into a situation where they tell me that they can't put 18" wheels and tires on my car.
Why not call them and ask....

You usually get the worst result when calling vs being there in person.
Also, don’t they have multiple people? I mean, it’s all shift work, so if you call on Monday you get person A, you go in on Friday it’s person C.

And they might not be on the same page as to policy.

Like most responses indicated above, each WalMart TLE service center will be different based upon how tight the management enforces the corporate policy and the specific individual(s) that you deal with on your visit. Their "official" policy is that the tire size must match the manufacturer's sticker in the door jamb. The load rating must match or exceed the sticker.

They are not even suppose to allow fitment of optional OEM approved sizes as I found out a few years ago. I performed the popular DePAX conversion on a 2006 Honda Odyssey (Touring trim) to change the run-flat tires with unconventional 17-1/2" rims to the non run-flat 17" tires/OEM rims found on the EX & LX trims. WalMart refused to install the new 17" tires because the size did not match the sticker info. I returned a few days later with the four rims off of the van and told them it came from a EX trim Odyssey and they installed them no questions asked.

Like most responses indicated above, each WalMart TLE service center will be different based upon how tight the management enforces the corporate policy and the specific individual(s) that you deal with on your visit. Their "official" policy is that the tire size must match the manufacturer's sticker in the door jamb. The load rating must match or exceed the sticker.

They are not even suppose to allow fitment of optional OEM approved sizes as I found out a few years ago. I performed the popular DePAX conversion on a 2006 Honda Odyssey (Touring trim) to change the run-flat tires with unconventional 17-1/2" rims to the non run-flat 17" tires/OEM rims found on the EX & LX trims. WalMart refused to install the new 17" tires because the size did not match the sticker info. I returned a few days later with the four rims off of the van and told them it came from a EX trim Odyssey and they installed them no questions asked.
This is my main concern. Door jam only list 19" wheels and tires. Model below has the size that I will put on.

Last edited:
This is my main concern.

Just look up the the OEM fitment vehicles for the new 18" tire size on The Tire Rack website and tell WalMart that is the application when you carry in the new rims to have the tires mounted. Otherwise, you can tell them they are going on a small utility trailer.

My Genesis Coupe came with the optional 19" wheels and tires and I went to the standard 18". But the door sticker says 19" so most places balk around here.

I wonder if you can get new door stickers?

On the other hand, one place locally on my sons car they put mismatched sizes on the rear, then nobody would do an alignment.

Walmart corporate policy is only mount whats listed on the door sticker. Whether they enforce it probably can change by the hour.

They will mount anything loose you want - or at least they will here.

My Genesis Coupe came with the optional 19" wheels and tires and I went to the standard 18". But the door sticker says 19" so most places balk around here.

I wonder if you can get new door stickers?

Yes, there are online companies that can reproduce stickers for vehicle restorations but you must provide the corresponding VIN and it is pricey (~$65/sticker).

https://www.ecsvin.com/index.html

http://www.vehiclevinstickers.com/

Since my DePAX conversion was permanent on the Odyssey, I was able to replace the tire pressure sticker with one that I sourced from a '06 Odyssey EX doorjamb in a Pick and Pull recycling yard. It was easy to remove with a razor blade in the summer heat.

I've not had good results with "shops" installing aftermarket rims on my cars, and have done the complete opposite. Ordered online, had them shipped to my house, and installed myself.

This has changed after SD v. Wayfair i.e. internet purchases having sales tax applied. Now I have to drive to the DC in DE and pickup myself. But this action eliminates shipping as well. Long line and cars from all over, VA, MD, DC, PA, NJ.

No, I don't think the OP is overthinking. I had a Goodyear shop (I guess they are franchises it does not exist today, someone else at that location) damage 4/4 brand new aftermarket rims. When I pointed the damage out, this was the response: "Do you know how stiff the sidewalls are on the tires you asked us to mount? Why don't you try to mount them yourself without scratching the rims."

They were 235/40-18, hardly out of the ordinary but maybe this was 2014 or so.

I have no experience with Walmart as far as shop services, and I do have experience with Costco. I'd go to Costco.

With Walmart, I've always just dropped the bare rims off and had them mount/balance the tires on them.

I had different size tires put on my F-150. The only thing they cared about was getting paid.

I had different size tires put on my F-150. The only thing they cared about was getting paid.
To illustrate your point, when 4/4 rims were damaged, they got paid. For this shoddy work.

The online eTailer reimbursed me for the cost upon review of the receipt, and they shipped me 4 new rims, and call tags for the damaged ones.

I had to pay at a subsequent shop, for dismount, mount, balance. The eTailer paid the dismount as well. What a hassle.

But the original shop got paid. So what do they care at all? Maybe today social media reviews, but down to the tech level no.

I think I'm leaning in this direction.
To me, it's just easier. You don't have to wait around if you don't want to. They'll do the mount/balance and stack them off to the side for you to pickup when ready.

I buy tires from Walmart.com, much cheaper. Take them to my local car dealer for mounting, don’t trust WM with my vehicles. Less expensive, road force balance and they allow me in shop to watch.

I buy tires from Walmart.com, much cheaper. Take them to my local car dealer for mounting, don’t trust WM with my vehicles. Less expensive, road force balance and they allow me in shop to watch.
That's an idea, too.

Back