1st snow with Falken Rubitrek tires

I see the Wildpeaks discussed a lot, but not the Rubitreks, so I thought I'd give you some very early thoughts on these. They're a tire to consider I think due to the price difference.

I replaced my OE Michelin LTX AT2's on my 2020 Tundra a few weeks ago at 48,500 with some Falken Rubitreks. I wanted something a tad bit better suited for low maintenance gravel and rock roads, logging roads and pastures that I drive better than half the time. The LTX's performed admirably, but they were starting to get pretty cut up and I was at the wear bars on the fronts and a 32nd away on the rears, They were getting louder on road seams, I was loosing traction in situations that I had not in the past, etc.

I considered Wildpeaks and its equivilent from other brands like Cooper, etc. but they were just a little too aggressive for what I felt I needed and I wanted to keep them as quiet as possible. I had it narrowed down to Michelin LTX M/S2's or these, but at $220 ea for the Falken's, I thought I'd try them. So far I hear a little more noise than the OE's, but not much. Enough to notice a difference, but not annoying. I drive the truck every day and notice every new squeek, shake, noise, etc.; my passengers do not. I'm sure you all are the same way. The LTX M/S2's would have been quieter for sure, but they were about $70 more; so I saved $280. I'd still put these in the quiet category; we'll see how that goes the more they wear and if the savings made sense.

So yesterday we finally got some much needed snow here (about 5-7 inches). Nothing terrible (by my standards; not by the standards of the general public in my area however), and I was very happy with their performance. Didn't need 4 high at all, even on the hardpacked mixed with ice. Now I am realistic as well and I suspected it would probably be a bit of an easy task for them since they have less than a 500 miles on them. However, I took my wife's recently aquired 4Runner out for a comparison with it's OE Nitto Terragraplers. They have a little over 5,000 miles on them. I was less than impressed in comparison. Even though they are two very different vehicles with regard to weight, weight distribution, tire size, etc, they are still rear-wheel-drive trucks and there was a snow performance gap that shouldn't have been that noticeable IMO. Worth noting - the Nittos are M/S rated; the Falkens 3 peak. If the performance stays good with the Falkens, I definitely will consider them for replacements of the Nittos when the time comes.

Last edited:
Falken has really been killing it lately. Ive had their Wildpeak AT Trail tires on my Highlander for about 4 years and just adore them. Of course I run their RT660 on my racecar

These are the first set of Falkens I have purchased. Did a lot of research before buying and I'm comfortable with what I did.

We’ve had good luck with Sumitomo tires. I could not find any glaring faults with their passenger car, light truck or motorcycle (under the Dunlop name) products on family member’s vehicles.

It’s been a while since I’ve owned Sumi/ Falkens, and the only thing I didn’t like about them was the fact they didn’t age well (harder-loss of traction) Otherwise they were great handling tires. I definitely would like to know more about these…..

We’ve had good luck with Sumitomo tires. I could not find any glaring faults with their passenger car, light truck or motorcycle (under the Dunlop name) products on family member’s vehicles.
Goodyear has neglected the Dunlop brand - Sumitomo voided their agreement and took back the rights for Dunlop bike tires in the US(as well as the Buffalo, NY plant). SRI still allows Goodyear to market and support Dunlop car tires for Japanese OE fitments and replacement in the US.

Some 20-30 years ago, Dunlop did have a decent lineup for cars.

Back