Which tire and why for my wrx

Falken azenius fl460
Nitto Motivo
Kumho ecsta pa51
General g max as 05
hankook ventus v2 concept 2 H457
falken ziex ze960 a/s

nitto has the best warranty at 60,000 I believe the rest are 45,000 - 50,000 miles
All of these tires fall into the 900-1100 range out the door
Mind you my cost is $550-750 ish. I get tires at cost and will mount and balance them myself. I could get the continental dws06 which is what's on the car now but they're more money as are the Michelin offerings. No doubt they're probably a little bit better tires. That being said I'd like to stay around this price point and will sacrifice a little bit of performance of tread life to do so.
Please share your experience with these tires and any other great input you have. I've owned a set of generals on a different car. The RT43 actually it was average kind of soft but ok. I've owned falkens but never for an extended time. I was happy with them while I had them though. Never have had nittos. I've owned a hankooks and been satisfied as well as kumho. Seems like some kumhos wore out kind of fast and some have been pretty decent. Anyway let me know what you guys think. I appreciate it.

Just paid $97 for that same Hankook from Amazon. Cheaper than any wholesale price you will find.
They're 129 on Amazon for my size. not much different than what I can get them for and where i get them I'll have a nationwide road hazard warranty as well.

You might also consider the Conti DWS06 Plus; excellent tire that I cannot compliment more. Great grip under all conditions; quiet; nice ride; decent wear. All around winner in my book. So much so that I have them on my Taurus and my MX-5.

out of those
my vote would be the gmax as-05

They are sporty with excellent traction but not punishing

Hankook was a tire I've always wanted to try, but have never owned.

I have a friend who bought a Buick Envision maybe 5 years ago--believe it or not, Michelin Premier LTX was the standard tire, and a Hankook was the optional tire, which I woulda thought would be the reverse.

I feel as though some didn't even read my post. I'm not looking for random tire recommendations I'm asking about the tires I listed specifically. I'm also not going anywhere to get them other than my supplier and installing them myself.

MICHELIN Pilot® Sport All Season 4.
You can catch them on sale at Costco for usually $150 off.
I have these tires and can't say I'm pleased with them overall. They work fine, and grip well, but have otherwise been a nightmare. Took 5 tries to get them balanced at different shops (shop said it was common with them, no wheel damage), and they are definitely noisier than any of my previous tires. They just aren't worth the premium in my opinion. A friend has an almost identical car to mine (2006 325i) with the General G-Max and they handle just as good but are quieter and cheaper.

I have these tires and can't say I'm pleased with them overall. They work fine, and grip well, but have otherwise been a nightmare. Took 5 tries to get them balanced at different shops (shop said it was common with them, no wheel damage), and they are definitely noisier than any of my previous tires. They just aren't worth the premium in my opinion. A friend has an almost identical car to mine (2006 325i) with the General G-Max and they handle just as good but are quieter and cheaper.
I have these on my LS and love them. They are almost $100 cheaper than Michelin alternatives. Standard on the base Corvette. Dunno about shop saying common to not be able to balance, I’d question their gear

I did the Hankook Ventus 2's and did not like them. I purchased them for the softer sidewalls as my Turbo S2000 Honda with aftermarket shocks had an absolutely punishing ride, and in that way, they did deliver a better ride. But they required more tire pressure to "feel" responsive. And in the end, I just hated them. I'm not kidding when I say that pulling 0.75G's on my off-ramp test was about the limit with these tires.

My current car has Pirelli P zero's and they fall short of the Michelin Pilots.

My advice is this, if you are a performance driver, pick the best performing tires you can afford. Tire Rack has a nice graph with customer ratings. I found it to be pretty accurate.

I love the Falken Azenis 615 or 660. I would expect the 460's to be excellent based my past experience with Falken's performance tires and on the reviews.

Falken azenius fl460
Nitto Motivo
Kumho ecsta pa51
General g max as 05
hankook ventus v2 concept 2 H457
falken ziex ze960 a/s

nitto has the best warranty at 60,000 I believe the rest are 45,000 - 50,000 miles
All of these tires fall into the 900-1100 range out the door
Mind you my cost is $550-750 ish. I get tires at cost and will mount and balance them myself. I could get the continental dws06 which is what's on the car now but they're more money as are the Michelin offerings. No doubt they're probably a little bit better tires. That being said I'd like to stay around this price point and will sacrifice a little bit of performance of tread life to do so.
Please share your experience with these tires and any other great input you have. I've owned a set of generals on a different car. The RT43 actually it was average kind of soft but ok. I've owned falkens but never for an extended time. I was happy with them while I had them though. Never have had nittos. I've owned a hankooks and been satisfied as well as kumho. Seems like some kumhos wore out kind of fast and some have been pretty decent. Anyway let me know what you guys think. I appreciate it.
1686842789823.png

Because Subaru WRX has a rich rally heritage.

Back to the question.
The Nitto's I don't hear too much from. The Motivo is the oldest design in this group.
Of the 2 Falkens, the Azenis line is their "UHP" line. Where as the Ziex is more their "premium touring" line, even though previously the Ziex were more UHP tires, back in the days of the Ze612 (a popular stretching tire) and Ze912 (which I had), where both now live under the Ohtsu brand. But I would go with the Azenis over the Ziex since WRX is a performance car. A normal impreza would get the Ziex.

TireRack does generally like the Kumho's for the "value" UHPAS

If you want to compare generals to Kumho's....

The Kumho's are a better tire when new, but... since TireRack doesn't do long term testing, that is a question.

TireRack puts the Hankook in a lower performance category

Umm save up for PS4s
imho ridiculous bang for buck, tires in that family. If they were not affordable, I would not have the as. Yet standard on a new Corvette base model. I felt the same about the Pilot Super Sports on my other car, they were cheaper than the OE tires they replaced. It's not always the absolute number, it's marginal cost v. marginal benefit, with overall factored in.

Last edited:
Vredestein ? Hi Trac or other of their tires . Good ratings . May give them a try further down the road .

I have these on my LS and love them. They are almost $100 cheaper than Michelin alternatives. Standard on the base Corvette. Dunno about shop saying common to not be able to balance, I’d question their gear
3 different shops said they had issues balancing the AS4s.

3 different shops said they had issues balancing the AS4s.
I've had them for a while now and no issues. It's interesting how powerful negative press can be. So the tires go from excellent to avoid. So be it, Michelin will survive :ROFLMAO:

I've had them for a while now and no issues. It's interesting how powerful negative press can be. So the tires go from excellent to avoid. So be it, Michelin will survive :ROFLMAO:
We have actually ran into this same thing with a few different Michelin products. They're just fight like crazy to get balanced correctly.

Back