Can this tire be patched and other tire questions?

I had a slash like that, but even worse, and drove from FL to MI with it before replacing. The sidewall, though, condemns the tire in my opinion.

Could this tire be patched? Maybe if it where not for the bulging sidewalls. Is the bulge from being run flat?

Wife hit something on the interstate she did not see anything. The tires are michelin defenders with 40k miles on them looking for advice on a new set of tires for a CRV in VA all seasons it seems michelin defenders are no more and now are michelin defenders 2. Usually buy from Costco.

It is kinda my fault for being cheap and never fixing the TPMS as it is always on. It is one of the older ones that don't show PSI.

View attachment 209904

View attachment 209905
Absolutely no. I had a bulge way smaller than that and it made me very uneasy. Discount Tire confirmed that it was from a belt that shifted upon impact.

I'm guessing that tread cut and the sidewall bulge are in close proximity to each other. If so, then the cut caused a belt edge separation, which is what the bulge is. It was not caused by running the tire flat!

Are you sure your wife hit something? Perhaps she just said that as in: "I don't know, honey, maybe I hit something, but I didn't see anything!".

The reason I ask is that the cut seems to have cracks at the end of the cut and that would have taken quite a while to develop. Plus, the bulge would be best explained if the cut had been there quite a while.

And was the tire actually run flat? It doesn't show any evidence of it.

I'm guessing that tread cut and the sidewall bulge are in close proximity to each other. If so, then the cut caused a belt edge separation, which is what the bulge is. It was not caused by running the tire flat!

Are you sure your wife hit something? Perhaps she just said that as in: "I don't know, honey, maybe I hit something, but I didn't see anything!".

The reason I ask is that the cut seems to have cracks at the end of the cut and that would have taken quite a while to develop. Plus, the bulge would be best explained if the cut had been there quite a while.

And was the tire actually run flat? It doesn't show any evidence of it.

It has multiple sidewall bulges on both sides, i just figured it was from her driving while it was completely flat but what do i know! just seems like that would destroy a side wall.

Some how the steel rim looks to be fine.

It had what looked like part of decal remover blade stuck in the cut.

What year/trim is the CRV?

Many all-weather choices out there if you want better winter grip. If you were happy with the all season you had then you could stick to that. Costco has choices from Michelin, Bridgestone, sales alternate like every other month or 2. Not to be taken badly but from looking at what you have, you don't look to be a consistent tire maintenance person. I would advise against a directional tire like Micheline CC2 and recommend more like Bridgestone Weatherpeak or Michelin Defender 2 so you can cross rotate as needed to help even out wear.

Costco will put new sensors in and program for your for about $50/sensor. They can check yours if still good so you only need to replace the bad/dead ones. Most places don't change batteries on them anymore.

Can this be patched? I slit it on an offroading trip and it survived 60 highway miles home (at 65mph)

It just needs some flex tape right?

IMG_20240323_182100677.jpg

Back