CR: Best Tire Brands

....In total, four brands had above-average satisfaction: Continental, Michelin, Pirelli, and Vredestein. Significantly, nine brands were rated below average...

....The key factors that were most associated with high satisfaction were handling, value, wear, winter grip, and reliability....

....There are substantial differences between the most and least satisfying tire brands, according to our recent survey of more than 23,000 Consumer Reports members who reported on tire purchases from 2019 to 2022....

Surprised to see Vredestein in the top four.

1. Best All-Season Tire: The Michelin Defender T+H---CR's top choice for new cars, larger SUVs, and trucks due to its superior dry surface braking, road handling, and all-weather grip.
2. Best Performance All-Season Tire: Michelin CrossClimate2-
3. Best Ultra-High-Performance All-Season Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4-
4. Best Ultra-High-Performance Summer Tire: Michelin Pilot 4S
5. Best Winter/Snow Tires: The Bridgestone Blizzak WS90
6. Best Performance Winter/Snow Truck Tire: Bridgestone Blizzak LM005

Last edited:
No big surprises in tire dealer ratings.

Consumer Reports surveyed members who bought tires in the preceding 12 months and asked them about their overall satisfaction and about their purchase experience. More than 5,000 members responded to the survey conducted in the fall of 2022.

Among name-brand retailers, Les Schwab Tire Centers, Kal Tire, Discount Tire, Tire Rack, and America’s Tire were among the tops in the ratings. As a broad category, our members rated independent retailers they bought tires from as even higher than these leading chains. Car dealerships as a group landed just behind the leaders, with a strong, above-average overall satisfaction.

Same. They are comfort tires.
Vredestein HiTrack make a high pitch whirl noise on my car when exceeding 40MPH. Me and my shop couldn't figure it out. It's more obvious when on newly paved road and get quite annoying.
On the other hand, Pirelli is awesome on my car, just wear out a little fast.

I am a bit also, however they are a great tire and I am glad. I've used Vredestein's since the 80's as they supported a few orphan sizes and I just put a set of their Sprint + on our 993/911. Glad to see their more recent wider market offerings are doing well.

I was surprised CR didn't test the Nokian Hakka r5 for cars ( they tested the r5 SUV tire ). Not sure what the difference would be, but.

I bought r5's for one of our cars but opted for, another, set of Blizzak WS 90, for my work car ( out early before plows out ) until I see just how well the new r5s perform.

Really no snow/ice here yet to judge the r5's ( except much quieter on dry pavement ) so far.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure I trust the ratings of OE tires. Besides the fact that the same tire will behave differently on different cars, I have seen people buy (what they thought to be) the exact replacement tire and literally get half the mileage of the originals. Think of the "TPC spec" that GM uses on OE tires. If I'm not mistaken, that spec encompasses every aspect from rubber compound to uniformity.

I am not brand loyal, I use the reviews as a guide and then make my own mind up.

Where I live, the largest tire retailer pushes Nokian ( cult religion ) and says "they are the best , always".

That thinking is what made me tell the guy to give me 4 Blizzak WS 90's until more reviews are available comparing them to other winter tires.

Not bashing Nokian ( had them before, just put 4 r5s on one of my 3 cars ) but no brand is the best ( or tire ).

Last edited:
I am not brand loyal, I use the reviews as a guide and then make my own mind up.

Where I live, the largest tire retailer pushes Nokian ( cult religion ) and says "they are the best , always".

That thinking is what made me tell the guy to give me 4 BLizzak WS 90's until more reviews are available comparing them to other winter tires.

Not bashing Nokian ( had them before, just put 4 r5s on one of my 3 cars ) but no brand is the best ( or tire ).

Agreed. It isn't about the brand, but about the performance.

I have no experience with Vredestein, but I would have to say that the tires I have been most happy with have been Continental, Michelin, and Pirelli. So the CR statement rings true for me.

The local Point S indi tire shop is big on Nokian. When the Continental Control Contact Sport tires on my E350 were due for replacement, the store owner recommended the Nokian One, as what he felt would be an upgrade from the Continental. They are my first set of Nokian tires. I have been mostly satisfied with the One tires, but not necessarily wowed. Would I put Nokian in my top 3? Not yet.

Last edited:
Way back when I was a little shaver, people bought Firestones, Goodyears, and US Royals. and maybe Generals.
Yup. I can relate to that. Add BF Goodrich to the mix. Michelin was the premium tire brand when I was a kid. That is what went on all the American iron that was on the road. It wasn't that they were bad tires. But the European and Asian tire companies were hardly even marketed in the US at the time.

even among brands performance can vary with different styles. my new 2001 jetta had mich MXV4 OE a low rolling resistance tyre that STUNK in the rain!! of course they were $$$ being a mich which i consider a better brand BUT OVERPRICED!!! they were removed before worn out for a cheeper BETTER dunlop street performance tyre!!

Oh, this thread is going to trigger some folks for sure, lol

IMG_5488.jpeg

That thinking is what made me tell the guy to give me 4 Blizzak WS 90's until more reviews are available comparing them to other winter tires.

I do not know whose marketing is more shameless: Liqui Moly, Nokian, or Subaru.
The last Nokian I had was R2, and could not wait to get rid of them.
I have WS90 on BMW and Tiguan. They are excellent tires. I think I would still take Continental VC7, especially on BMW, considering that Continental is much better in dry, and more refined. But WS90 does have a slight edge in wet over VC7. Considering that VC7 is excellent in wet, it was really a surprise.

Back