Are snow tires needed for SE Michigan winters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NO2

A recent consumer reports article has me a bit confused on whether we need snow tires.

We have an Accord and an Outback (AWD). The Accord has V rated Michelin Primacy A/S currently installed, rated 'better than average'in dry, wet, and snow conditions but 'worse than average on ice. The Outback has the same tires in "H" rating, with 'better than average' in dry, wet, and snow and average on ice.

We are considering getting a set of Michelin XI3 tires. rated 'much worse than average' in dry & wet and 'much better than average' on snow and ice. We only get about 5-10 days of snow per season, most of the rest of the time it is dry, wet or slushy road conditions.

To XI3 or Blizzak WS80 owners: Have you noticed any difference in cold weather winter performance vs high end all-seasons? Is it worth the hassle of tire changes?

That's a call you're going to have to make...snows are much better in the snow and ice, no comparison....but worse performing in the dry.. I change my own on 2 cars, takes me about 45 minutes to an hour per car.

My wife is much happier in the winter knowing we have snows on both the minivan and the Outback

It depends where you live in SE Michigan. Some areas get more snow than others, some areas are flat, some have hills, etc. This is the first winter of having winter tires on the Fusion, and it is a night and day difference. I'm never going back to all seasons during the winter again. I have some very snow-capable all seasons that I used last winter, and even my cheap set of Chinese winter tires blow them away.

My in laws live nearby and have Blizzak WS70s on both their vehicles, and they make a huge difference.

Last edited:
I would say if your wife is a top notch driver I would be okay with all seasons, if she is a spaz maybe u should go with snows.

Also if you are rural snows might be a better choice.

I recently bought my first set of snows after driving 29 years in upstate NY. I too have had a couple Subaru AWD cars, and the snows made a world of difference. Better steering and stopping on ice and snow. The average on snow you're seeing is against other all-seasons, not snows.

As far as if they're needed ? It's a tough call. I got caught out in freezing rain last year, and I'm certain they saved my bacon. I'm a believer. I didn't have any bad-weather problems before, but I've had much more pleasant and comfortable bad-weather driving since, and don't think twice about driving my kid out to Rochester in the winter. If you don't run into that, you may not need them.

I think they are cheap insurance.

I have never had a problem with my current or previous Accord in the winter with all season tires. I'm sure winter tires are nicer, but not necessary.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I would say if your wife is a top notch driver I would be okay with all seasons, if she is a spaz maybe u should go with snows.

I've always found these types of responses odd.

IMO, the entirety of life involves risk various risk assessments. If you have assets that you don't want to lose in an unlikely event, you pay to insure against it. I may drive well in the snow, but when someone cuts out from a side street or any other number of unforeseen events occur, snow tires may be the difference between a scrape, a dent, a smashed in fender, a totaled car or a dead occupant and stopping or swerving to avoid said event.

Neither my wife nor I had issue driving in the winter with all-season tires, but we have both had close calls. We're lucky enough to be able to afford snow tires, so we run them, with the knowledge that our risk has been lowered. I was actually pretty blown away about how much better snow tires reacted on both my Civic and previous Subaru.

Some don't assess the risk to be as high here in CT as I do and that's there prerogative, but we got a ton of snow last year and there were many people who got into accidents who might not have. I know I was only able to drive safely to work a couple of times, because I had snow tires.

With that said, I wouldn't own snow tires if I lived somewhere that gets snow less frequently, like Maryland or some other mid-Atlantic state. So, if you rarely get snow and ice, and feel that you can avoid the worst days by staying home, going in to work late, or whatever other way, then all-season tires may make sense. If that's not the case, and snow tires will provide even a small amount of additional grip when you need it, and you can afford it, then it's not even a question in my mind, to absolutely get snow tires.

Do you have to get out those 5-10 days at peak of storm before roads cleared/treated enough to get around? How comfortable are you driving around in it. Do you heed the warning to stay off roads?

I used to own them(once) and and understand the benefits but back on decent in snow all-seasons coupled to a Subaru and common sense.

How much is your collision deductible?

If you rear-end someone because you couldn't stop in time, your insurance rate may get increased

Maybe consider Nokian WRG3 as a year-round tire

Another aspect that many don't consider,

even if there's no snow or ice on the pavement, all-season tire rubber compounds harden up and loose some grip when
ambiant temps get close or below the freezing point, handling worse and increasing stopping distances in the cold.

Originally Posted By: NO2
...We only get about 5-10 days of snow per season, most of the rest of the time it is dry, wet or slushy road conditions.

I think by narrowing it down to this you could do without. EsPECIALLY on the Outback.

I live in SE Michigan (metro Detroit area) and haven't run snow tires in over 30 years. Haven't had a problem. It helps to drive slower in bad conditions.

Put a set of Michelins on the wifes car 4 years ago ,never took them off. She drives less than 5k per year.Noisey in the summer,great in the winter. Saved over $520 in yearly change over. Ordered a set of Michelins for my new car(2016) with wheels for about $800.After last years winter here in ct. i will always put winter tires on my cars.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: Brybo86

I've always found these types of responses odd.

IMO, the entirety of life involves risk various risk assessments. If you have assets that you don't want to lose in an unlikely event, you pay to insure against it. I may drive well in the snow, but when someone cuts out from a side street or any other number of unforeseen events occur, snow tires may be the difference between a scrape, a dent, a smashed in fender, a totaled car or a dead occupant and stopping or swerving to avoid said event.

Neither my wife nor I had issue driving in the winter with all-season tires, but we have both had close calls. We're lucky enough to be able to afford snow tires, so we run them, with the knowledge that our risk has been lowered. I was actually pretty blown away about how much better snow tires reacted on both my Civic and previous Subaru.

Some don't assess the risk to be as high here in CT as I do and that's there prerogative, but we got a ton of snow last year and there were many people who got into accidents who might not have. I know I was only able to drive safely to work a couple of times, because I had snow tires.

With that said, I wouldn't own snow tires if I lived somewhere that gets snow less frequently, like Maryland or some other mid-Atlantic state. So, if you rarely get snow and ice, and feel that you can avoid the worst days by staying home, going in to work late, or whatever other way, then all-season tires may make sense. If that's not the case, and snow tires will provide even a small amount of additional grip when you need it, and you can afford it, then it's not even a question in my mind, to absolutely get snow tires.

One can take risk assessment to the Nth degree and upgrade all the safety and vehicle control systems on their vehicles to the current state of the art. That would include professional emergency driving courses on winter tracks. If you don't do all this, then you're compromising safety. Even the most upgraded vehicle with the world's best winter tires and brakes won't protect you from the 80% of US drivers in the snow belt that are on all season tires, or balding/old winter tires. Maybe you won't plow into the guy in front of you. It doesn't help you from the guy behind you or coming straight at you, or on your side who will plow into you. If it were mandatory then at least there would be a more even playing field. 40 years driving in CT on all season tires. I drive based on the traffic and conditions. The CT coastline in my region tends to get a lot more rain and slush vs. snow. And the plows in this region are pretty darn quick. For me at least, last years CT winter (ie snows) lasted 6-8 weeks (late January to mid-March). What about the other 45 weeks of the year?

Here's another thought. Do we put as much emphasis on superior wet (or dry) traction during the warmer months? Of course not. But then again, why not if safety (all year round) is of such a concern? A $1000-$1400 set of the very best rated dry/wet summer tires should be on every vehicle during non-winter months.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I live in SE Michigan (metro Detroit area) and haven't run snow tires in over 30 years. Haven't had a problem. It helps to drive slower in bad conditions.

Ditto here....20 years for me.....

Having no issues with my Cooper CS5s in any weather here yet. If my Balt can't handle the weather out there, I'm not going out either....

I drove around the Detroit area for years with a V8 rear drive cougar on all seasons. With no problem, but winter tires would've made things easier.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

+1, There's a "shoulder territory" where the weather is mild enough snow tires are optional. Where this is varies depending on who you ask. But there are places where so few other drivers have good tires or know how to drive it's better to stay off the roads when it's bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back