All Weather or Winter Tires ?

I also live in a mild climate (Metro Vancouver) and no-one can pay me to run one set all year round. In my case I have the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 that I have mounted from end of Feb through mid-December, and Nokian Outpost APT from mid-Dec to end of Feb. The Outpost APT are all-weather light-duty all terrain.

I hate how the Outpost APTs handle in the dry/warm and as decent in the snow as the PSAS4 is (for an all-season) I still change over when the time comes in Dec.

For my climates, the Outpost APT is sufficient for the times when we do get snow and for trips to the local ski hills (they've proven themselves during the most recent winter). In your case, as you have actual long and colder winters, I'd def recommend true winter tires and any sort of dedicated 3-season tire of your choice for warmer months.

I walked by a vehicle that had the Bridgestone Weatherpeak and had to do a second take I thought they were rocking some sort of winter tire in the summer.

They look very promising. Definitely would give them a try for a year round tire on something not performance oriented

I wavered on the new tires for a special commuter car, a Mazda Miata 1st generation. The generic all seasons were good, but the 3 peak snowflake rated Vredestein Quatrac were outstanding, and they published a rebate of $20 per tire. I can report they are quiet as all hell and track superbly. Had them up to 95, where the 3 year old Kumhos' could never get there. But, haven't tried them in rain or in snow.

I walked by a vehicle that had the Bridgestone Weatherpeak and had to do a second take I thought they were rocking some sort of winter tire in the summer.

They look very promising. Definitely would give them a try for a year round tire on something not performance oriented
User reviews on Tire Rack seem very encouraging, but there aren't that many yet. On the other hand, TR's own testing shows it pretty far behind Michelin CrossClimate2 and Vredestein Quatrac Pro when it comes to dry and wet stopping distances, and of course TR hasn't even tested them in the most important category - winter.

Back