Nokian R5 winter tires, what is your experience?

Curious what people think of the new Nokian Hakka R5 SUV tires?

I have them on our 21 Subaru Ascent and they replaced a set of Nitto SN2 winter tires that I sold to a buddy of mine. I only had the Nittos on for 5-6k miles and they had winter great traction. But would track with the lengthwise grooves on the interstate and would sway back and forth as it follow those grooves. That was a really un-easy feeling when the road was partially snow covered without knowing if it was the grooves in the road or loosing traction on the snow-covered portions causing the sway. The Nokians on the other hand are fantastic on dry roads and very quiet. But I'm on the fence for winter traction?

Here's my experiences with the Nokians...
I always "test" the road conditions before hitting the main roads or get out when the weather is bad to play around when there is very little traffic. Not like a hooligan teenager, I just having a little middle age fun in the family hauler. lol

The Nokians seem to brake well in snow and other wintery conditions, no complaints there. But acceleration grip and lateral grip seem to be lacking or at least not what I expected. When accelerating from a stop while turning, the rear end wants to kick out more easily than I expect it would given the throttle input at the moment. While I do prefer oversteer vs understeer, the VSC is very sensitive on the Ascent and cannot be turned off. So just when I am starting to correct for oversteer, the VSC kicks in and that causes me to over-correct since the VSC is fighting my natural rally driving instincts. haha Turn-in at constant speed is decent, but not as good as I expected. At constant speed when somewhat simulating emergency avoidance maneuver (not excessively yanking the steering wheel, just faster than normal), the rear seems to loose grip somewhat unpredictably. I don't know if it's Subaru's AWD Active Torque Vectoring doing this or it's the tires? I don't recall the Nitto's being this unpredictable in snow last year, nor do the Falken AT Trail tires react that way on gravel. I haven't tried the Falkens in snow though to compare behavior.

I was between the new Michelin X-Ice Snow and the Nokian R5 to replace the Nitto's before the snow started flying. They were the same price but the Michelins were going to take 3 weeks longer to get, so I chose the Nokians. The studless Nokian Hakka 9's on our 2012 Ford Fusion FWD really impressed me and exceeded my expectations. All of the tire tests/reviews I found put the Nokian R5's at the top or top 3 out of all studless snow tires. So I guess I expected more given previous experience with Nokian and great reviews.

Pictures for viewing pleasure.

IMG_5220.jpg

IMG_5229.jpg

It seems like we reached the pinnacle of winter traction several generations ago..

Then they started focusing on ice traction with hardly any tread voids.. this lead to slush planing etc.

Now they are on a tear to make them last longer and be better in the wet and dry.. soo.. the ultimate winter traction is slightly sacrificed.

Just my 2 cents.

I will say I have been immensely impressed with the conti viking contact 7.

Standard touring tire feel but great in snow and ice.. would not recommend for sports car or A performance BMW..
but great on an accord or outback.

Michelin xice snow.. seem decent but its on a new car so no real comparison.

It seems like we reached the pinnacle of winter traction several generations ago..

Then they started focusing on ice traction with hardly any tread voids.. this lead to slush planing etc.

Now they are on a tear to make them last longer and be better in the wet and dry.. soo.. the ultimate winter traction is slightly sacrificed.

Just my 2 cents.

I will say I have been immensely impressed with the conti viking contact 7.

Standard touring tire feel but great in snow and ice.. would not recommend for sports car or A performance BMW..
but great on an accord or outback.

Michelin xice snow.. seem decent but its on a new car so no real comparison.

That does make more sense with the tighter void channels. So far slush and wet hasn't been an issue that I have experienced. Ice and compacted snow (practically ice) has been pretty good. Fresh snow and lightly compacted snow seem like the area I was expecting more. I agree with goals to make them longer lasting is something that isn't the most beneficial to winter tires. Same with the trend towards low rolling resistance.

The Viking Contact isn't available in 245/65r17 or that would have been on my original list too. I was hoping the Nokian Hakka 10 would have been available in a studless option since that design resembles the Hakka 9's I was happy with. But those are only available with studs.... Well, that has changed since I just looked and Discount Tire now offers the Hakka 10 STUDLESS, just my luck! haha

The X-Ice Snow voids seem a little wider than the R5's so I would think they would do slightly better. Also it was right on top of all the tests along side the Viking 7 and Nokian R5. I considered the Blizzak DM-V2 since they are always a solid choice. But Blizzaks seem to wear pretty fast in my experience and I didn't want to deal with that.

the dm-v2 is an old design(similar to ws80) the ws90 is improved.
the dm-v3 should be out now.. or soon.

I had both ws-80 and the suv size the dm-v2. esp on the larger dm-v2 the sideways traction would give way suddenly.. with no warning.
Overall they were fine but you might get surprises.. they were also slow to recover traction after sliding sideways.

My all time favorite in snow was the continential extreme winter contact.(2 gen back) Had them on an elantra touring and the traction was massively better in snow than the yokohama ig 20 I had to replace a pair with after hitting road trash.

Also as far as snow I found the reverse order for blizzaks is more their snow ranking ws-50>ws-60>ws-70>ws80.. the ws90 may have turned this around but I dont own a set of those.

Not to say the ws-50's were a dream in anything but bad conditions they were poor.

Had a set of nokian wrg2 suv on a 2013 outback with stick shift.. they were amazingly better than the oem tires even worn to 4/32 in winter.

I havent had a set of R5's but the pattern looks pretty busy solid siped center rib.. not too many voids
compare to the tread pattern of the viking contact 7.

With subaru they should be adequate at worst in fresh snow.. looks like they are more designed around ice and packed snow.
image_2023-02-08_190028497.jpg
image_2023-02-08_190201986.jpg

Last edited:
Is your experience one snowstorm or multiple? There are many different types of snow wetness, consistency etc so they may not work as well in what you went to however better in other types.

I found the best slush tires I have owned were all season winter rates Nokian WR G2s. No pure winter tire could touch them in that aspect. Snow and ice they were mediocre compared to pure winters .

Is performance winter tire aka Central European winter tire "pure winter tire"?

If yes then WR GXs series do have competition in slush.

Tires like Blizzak LM, Continental TS (810 for sure), Pilot Alpin trade ultimate snow and ice performance for better dry and wet. And slush seems to have more in common with fluid water than snow.

Krzyś

Is performance winter tire aka Central European winter tire "pure winter tire"?

If yes then WR GXs series do have competition in slush.

Tires like Blizzak LM, Continental TS (810 for sure), Pilot Alpin trade ultimate snow and ice performance for better dry and wet. And slush seems to have more in common with fluid water than snow.

Krzyś
It is a pure winter tire. I had numerous snow tires from that category that were better than Nordic tires in pretty much everything, including ice and snow.

As for Nokian, as I stated numerous times, it is IMO a second-tier manufacturer. They always lack something. R2 had really good ice and snow performance but was horrid in dry and actually dangerous in wet. They were impossible to balance without a ridiculous amount of lead, and the noise and comfort were like having A/T tire.
I am sticking to Michelin, Continental, and Bridgestone from now on. Done with experimenting. I would not mind getting Nokian R5, but as long as the price is equal to performance and quality.

Probably should of kept the SN2's. They are a great winter tire. They do loose a little lateral grip initially, and then grips, like if ESP kicked in. The SN2's were also a nice long-wearing tire as well, but a little noisy on the dry, with a definite tread hum. Too bad the SN3's are not available in the US, they are for the Canadian market. They definitely had a lot of siping, leading to the squirmy feeling.

Nitto SN-2 by thisistan, on Flickr

rokblokz install by thisistan, on Flickr

Sorry it's been a minute, was more busy than I expected these last few days!

@Rand the Conti isn't available in 245/65r17, otherwise that would have been a contender as well. One of my favorite winter tires was the General Arcticmax back in 2008 time frame. Had those on a lowered (2") 08 Scion xB and thatcar made it through way more than it probably should have. But they were squishy in corners and noisy, so I'm not so sure I'd be as happy with them now as I've gotten older. The worst winter tire I had was the Goodyear WRT Ice. Barely better than a good all season.

I think another thing that maybe misleading to my opinion is how intrusive the TCS and VDC is. It almost seems like VDC is far too sensitive and I end up fighting it because I'll react just a split second before it does when I am anticipating a slide or traction loss of some type. I can turn off TCS but I cannot disable VSC, at least with a button.

@andrew_j the first experience with them was wet dense snow (7-8") that compacted very quickly which as you're aware is almost like ice at times. The following snow storms have been less wet, not quite what I would consider dry though. The first storm is when I wasn't sure if I liked them, but I reserved judgement until we had another storm because it was more wet that normal for NW IA. Slush performance hasn't been any better or worse than other winter tires I have used.

If driven gently they do very well. But it seems like they break traction with less predictability than I am used to with previous winter tires I have used. I wished the Hakka 9's I had on the Fusion were available for this car as they seemed to be more predictable and more traction. But the Hakka 9 and 10 are only available with studs for my size, which I have no desire to have studded tires. The WR G4's are available but I didn't consider those since they are an all weather tire so I expect an dedicated winter tire to perform better.

@edyvw I suppose I have not ran across your statements about Nokian tires before. I would agree that in all segments that Nokian is a 2nd tier tire, with the exception of winter tires though. I can see how the WR series tires, R2 and R3 could be noisy. But my experience with the Hakka 9 (non-studded) and R5 is pretty darn quiet, smooth and not super squishy feeling on the road. The Hakka 9's looked great after 3-4 winters and about 25k on them. Though I absolutely understand what you're saying about experimenting with tires. No doubt that Michelin and Bridgestone are always a well rounded tire choice. My experience with Continental has been middle of the road, but I haven't driven on the winter tires. I don't consider the Nokians as an experiment in my case since my previous experience was fantastic! I have driven vehicles with Blizzaks in the past, but it's been a long time and I don't remember what model they were.

@UG_Passat the Nitto SN2 was an absolute beast in the snow, no doubt about that!! Do you have the same issue I had where the tires made the car sway back and forth on roads with lengthwise grooves in them?

I had about 6k miles or so on them before I sold them. Anytime I was on a clear interstate (I-29, I-80, etc) the car would have a light sway back and forth as the tires tracked with lengthwise grooves, I assume it was the center block that was causing this. On some stretches of interstate where the grooves were poorly done it would make my wife car sick and I could see rear seat passengers heads swaying a little. I consider myself to be a pretty experienced driver overall and I really don't get nervous in bad weather, more nervous of other drives to be honest. But when the interstate was partially snow covered, I couldn't discern if the SN2's where swaying like normal or if it was beginning to loose traction on the snow/ice. This was especially bad in turns at 70mph when you don't know if the car is sliding or not.

I should elaborate a little bit. I don't mean to say that the Nokian R5's are absolute junk. I think my expectations were higher based off my previous Nokian Hakka 9's and the Subaru AWD reputation.

Though I have done a little more digging on the Ascent Forums. It seems other people notice that the Ascent tends to push on turn in, rear comes out fairly easy and feels more like a FWD car in terms of handling. I think a lot of it comes down to the weight distribution, AWD logic and the VDC intruding far too easily. It seems like older Subaru's without VDC/VSC or systems that were less intrusive did a lot better. They allowed for a little more wheel spin and sliding before cutting power. The programing on the CVT and throttle mapping probably don't help either. That's a whole other conversation...

The Nitto's do have a quite squirmy tread and produces a noticeable growl. But the swaying, nope, I didn't feel that on my Tiguan.

If Nokian were so good with winter tires they would not have cheated.

Krzyś

PS They admitted to it 7 years ago.

The Nitto's do have a quite squirmy tread and produces a noticeable growl. But the swaying, nope, I didn't feel that on my Tiguan.

I wouldn't mind if they were a little squirmy for turn in or at the limit dry handling. But my issue was driving straight on clear roads where they would sway. Not sure if thats because of the tall side wall or what the issue was?

If Nokian were so good with winter tires they would not have cheated.

Krzyś

PS They admitted to it 7 years ago.

That was 2015 that they identified the issue and reported on in 2016, also that happened with a different CEO. Almost a decade is a long time in the automotive world. While it certainly isn't admirable what the company did at that time, I would assume it is not happening now. Mainly because tire reviewers buy tires from suppliers instead of from the manufacture like they did during that time according the the TireReview story you posted. Falken tires used to be a cheap no-name tire brand 15yrs ago, look at them now. BFG K02's were the AT tire to beat a decade ago, but many other AT tires have far surpassed K02's since then as well.

Either way, Nokian has always been known for their winter tire performance and multiple recent tests seem to put the same 3 tires at the top with the R5 being one of them. The other two are the recently updated Michelin X-Ice Snow and Continental VikingContact 7 that seem to be on the top 3.

I am not trying to defend my performance observations, I am just looking to see if anyone has had real world experience with the R5's. Looks like I'm the only one so far.

Curious what people think of the new Nokian Hakka R5 SUV tires?

I have them on our 21 Subaru Ascent and they replaced a set of Nitto SN2 winter tires that I sold to a buddy of mine. I only had the Nittos on for 5-6k miles and they had winter great traction. But would track with the lengthwise grooves on the interstate and would sway back and forth as it follow those grooves. That was a really un-easy feeling when the road was partially snow covered without knowing if it was the grooves in the road or loosing traction on the snow-covered portions causing the sway. The Nokians on the other hand are fantastic on dry roads and very quiet. But I'm on the fence for winter traction?

Here's my experiences with the Nokians...
I always "test" the road conditions before hitting the main roads or get out when the weather is bad to play around when there is very little traffic. Not like a hooligan teenager, I just having a little middle age fun in the family hauler. lol

The Nokians seem to brake well in snow and other wintery conditions, no complaints there. But acceleration grip and lateral grip seem to be lacking or at least not what I expected. When accelerating from a stop while turning, the rear end wants to kick out more easily than I expect it would given the throttle input at the moment. While I do prefer oversteer vs understeer, the VSC is very sensitive on the Ascent and cannot be turned off. So just when I am starting to correct for oversteer, the VSC kicks in and that causes me to over-correct since the VSC is fighting my natural rally driving instincts. haha Turn-in at constant speed is decent, but not as good as I expected. At constant speed when somewhat simulating emergency avoidance maneuver (not excessively yanking the steering wheel, just faster than normal), the rear seems to loose grip somewhat unpredictably. I don't know if it's Subaru's AWD Active Torque Vectoring doing this or it's the tires? I don't recall the Nitto's being this unpredictable in snow last year, nor do the Falken AT Trail tires react that way on gravel. I haven't tried the Falkens in snow though to compare behavior.

I was between the new Michelin X-Ice Snow and the Nokian R5 to replace the Nitto's before the snow started flying. They were the same price but the Michelins were going to take 3 weeks longer to get, so I chose the Nokians. The studless Nokian Hakka 9's on our 2012 Ford Fusion FWD really impressed me and exceeded my expectations. All of the tire tests/reviews I found put the Nokian R5's at the top or top 3 out of all studless snow tires. So I guess I expected more given previous experience with Nokian and great reviews.

Pictures for viewing pleasure.

View attachment 139419

View attachment 139420
Viewing pleasure?

I wouldn't mind if they were a little squirmy for turn in or at the limit dry handling. But my issue was driving straight on clear roads where they would sway. Not sure if thats because of the tall side wall or what the issue was?

That was 2015 that they identified the issue and reported on in 2016, also that happened with a different CEO. Almost a decade is a long time in the automotive world. While it certainly isn't admirable what the company did at that time, I would assume it is not happening now. Mainly because tire reviewers buy tires from suppliers instead of from the manufacture like they did during that time according the the TireReview story you posted. Falken tires used to be a cheap no-name tire brand 15yrs ago, look at them now. BFG K02's were the AT tire to beat a decade ago, but many other AT tires have far surpassed K02's since then as well.

Either way, Nokian has always been known for their winter tire performance and multiple recent tests seem to put the same 3 tires at the top with the R5 being one of them. The other two are the recently updated Michelin X-Ice Snow and Continental VikingContact 7 that seem to be on the top 3.

I am not trying to defend my performance observations, I am just looking to see if anyone has had real world experience with the R5's. Looks like I'm the only one so far.
Nokian was not always known for its snow tires. That is what marketing does: "first snow tire," etc.
20-25 years ago, you could not identify them on the European market, which is by far the largest snow tire market in the world. Even Bridgestone, which is a household name here, was always a mediocre performer there and, actually, still is.
Nokian was present in their local market. The reason why they were mediocre performers is that the largest snow tire markets have very complex demands around performance, and Noakian was never good at delivering in every category. That cheating scandal happened during that over-the-top marketing push, and they desperately wanted to take away market share from manufacturers that "own" the European winter tire market: Continental, Good Year, Michelin, and Pirelli.

Finnish premium tire company Nokian Tyres is introducing a new flagship range of winter tires by renewing their Central European winter portfolio. The extended and upgraded Nokian Tyres Snowproof family includes four tire models and covers a large variety of sizes from small family cars to large and heavy SUVs. A special new introduction to Central European drivers is the SilentDrive™ Technology.

The new Nokian Tyres Snowproof family is developed for Central European drivers ensuring uncompromising performance on snow, slush, and heavy rain. The tire family's most important characteristic is excellent safety in all driving conditions; the tires offer controlled and predictable driving feel whether you drive on speedy autobahns, busy urban traffic, or scenic Alpine roads.

The new Nokian Tyres Snowproof range comes with a comprehensive size selection and will be available to Central European consumers in autumn 2023.

Back