What are the worst tires you've used?

Firestone Transforce AT 2 Are good tires as long as you stay on dry pavement, Traction is terrible off roads and forget about using them in snow.

Michelin Pilot Primacy (OEM version MY2003 - horrible in wet conditions; OEM MY2008 - improved but still really below average in wet conditions).
It was so bad I threw the 2008 away before they were really worn (5 mm left, legal limit is 1.6 mm). This repeated experience made me stay away from Michelin for 10 years - until I was brave enough to give Michelin another chance (Pilot Sport 4 had excellent reviews and they really impressed in both dry and wet).

I've always had good experience with Michelin tires, both as OEM and as replacements.
Good in the rain and snow and very long wearing. They remain in balance and seem to retain their structural integrity for the life of the tire, typically pretty long, like 72K on the OEM Michelin Energy tires on the HAH, which could have easily gone another 10K, but I wanted new rubber for the coming winter last fall.
The OEM Yokohama tires on the two Foresters we've bought new were pretty okay overall and wore well.
I'll also mention Pirelli. Have had a few sets of them and they worked well overall.
Obviously, opinions vary.

Last edited:
Goodyear Invicta. S rated, loud, not much traction, doesn't stay round, but it is good with mpg. Almost got into accidents a few times, glad they were worn out and I never bought them again.

What are the worst tires you've used? I haven't driven on much other than michelins.
Anything that my parents purchased in Phoenix. I've read that depending on the region tire manufacturers have slightly different compounds. I used my parents vibe, it was like driving on ice below 40 degrees. My neon same thing, I put new tires on it and it drove fantastic in the snow.

The factory tires on my 2007 CR-v were awful. They were Continental cross contact or something of the like. They wore like iron but were the most loudest tire I could ever remember and were not great in any one condition. I replaced them with Falken 710s IIRC they were much better but wore like a pencil erasers.

Never bought anything but lower tier tires but always from common manufacturers. There has been some less than desirable tires in that group. Not so much a manufacturer here but a type: Run flats. Short lived, sloppy ride, and noisy. Run from run flats….

Reading through this thread I think Goodyear has the most complaints, closely followed by Firestone and Bridgestone.

My experiences would have me vote Goodyear is the worst.....but I currently have a set of Goodyear's on my truck that are the best A/T tires I have ever purchased.

If this thread goes on long enough every tire model every produced will get mentioned. Whether or not tires are good or bad can depend just as much on what vehicle they are going on as much as just the tire itself.
I like hearing everyone's opinions and experiences but take it all with a grain of salt, they wont necessary match your own with the same tire.
I totally agree with RS. It seems that no brand escaped being on this list even some of the 'premium' (expensive) brands. Probably the worst tires I ever had were the OE Firestones on my 2008 Corolla...the Bridgestone Potenza (RE92 I think) on my brothers 1993 Outback were terrible too.

Overall, Goodyear takes the cake. In my personal experiences the vast majority of tires I have used from them have been absolute garbage in the rain, snow, and ice. The Tripletred was a good a sedan tire in these conditions. The Duratracs were good in the snow until about 15k then performance went drastically down. I would not buy anything from anymore for these reasons and their comments on LE.

I have much better luck with Michelin as a whole. Can’t ever remember having a “bad” tire from them. I usually research my tires to no end and have had some excellent tires from other manufacturers as well (Toyos and Yokohama to name a few).

I once had a set of Pirelli P3 tires on a car. They wore out super quick. The handling was fair, but not good enough to justify the super short tread life. Fortunately, I got tread wear warranty from DT.

I don't think Pirelli offers the P3 any longer.

OTOH, we replaced the OEM Michelins on our long departed Aerostar with Goodyear Aquatred 3 tires. They were good in everything other than snow, in which they were weak, they drove, wore and rode well and seemed quiet enough. We even had them on the van for a trip to South Florida, by which time they were approaching 50K miles in use and they were fine.

I once had a set of Pirelli P3 tires on a car. They wore out super quick. The handling was fair, but not good enough to justify the super short tread life. Fortunately, I got tread wear warranty from DT.

I don't think Pirelli offers the P3 any longer.
The first versions of the current P7 A/S series were horrible. However the currently available P7 A/S 3's are highly regarded but I still wont try them. My daughter has P7 A/S 2 run flats as OE on her BMW 330i xdrive and they are mediocre.
I think I'd buy a Continental before a Pirelli, I have a set of Conti Pure Contacts on my Chrysler Hemi and they perform and ride superb. They handle more like a UHP tire than a touring tire with excellent grip wet and dry with good steering response. I love them except for some rough pavement road noise, sort of a hollow ringing sound on certain surfaces (not tread noise). Very subtle but they are so quiet you do notice it when you hit the surface that causes it.

Keep in mind that the platform the tires are on have a lot to do with NVH of a tire. Every car has a certain frequency that it resonates at, and no two are identical. Frequencies intersect at certain times and cause NVH. So what might be a quiet and refined tire on one car may not be on another make or model. Here is a good example of this:
This photo is a wheel from a 2020 Accord, That black plastic device attached inside the rim produces a frequency of 215hz (if you zoom in in the photo you will see it printed on the part), specifically to cancel out noise. The car had Michelins on it OE.
In the car industry we call this an "NVH hack'.
IMG_0024.JPG

I've had Remingtons, and currently have Falkens on my truck. I would buy either one again.
Get back to us when you hit 20K-Michel Tires Plus ran a special a few years back in the Ziex 912s, we had several sets in my extended family, NONE of the sets made over 20,000 miles! Other Sumitomo made ones didn’t fare any better.

Get back to us when you hit 20K-Michel Tires Plus ran a special a few years back in the Ziex 912s, we had several sets in my extended family, NONE of the sets made over 20,000 miles! Other Sumitomo made ones didn’t fare any better.
My experience with Sumitomo is they perform well but wear fast. At the price point I think it's a fair trade off. My Sumitomo HTR-P02's were great but lasted only 25K miles.

the Nexen RH8's that came as factory equipment on my Ram were garbage... 2 of them had belt separations in the 30,000 mile range, and the spare had a belt separation with less than5000 miles on it.

Back