What are the worst tires you've used?

Mid 2000's OE Goodyear Wrangler AT. OK when new, but even with rotation, always weird tread wear. They always seemed to get hard with age and were horrible in the rain after a couple of years even with good tread.

These - traded vehicles to get rid of them today - horrible in rain, snow, slush - anything but dry and smooth …
The winter tires are just Hercules tires - but they are far better in snow/slush than these so called all season tires …
(tread seems awfully tight to claim A/S) …

Last edited:
Back in the 1970's I put on a brand new set of Pirelli 155R15's on my SAAB Sonett. Three of the four developed ply separations. Hopefully, around 50 years later Pirelli has corrected the problem.:cool:

Federal SS595.
I liked those, but I never really tried them in a situation where I was trying to get a lot of grip. They made some killer smoke when spun attached to a 2004 GTO.

Had good grip but were unusable by 20K miles.

View attachment 174570
Wholesales Tire Company
These are probably my favorite all season tires I've purchased. I put them on an 2006 Jaguar, but I only had about 10k miles on them when I sold the car. Did the tread wear that fast?

Every new vehicle I've experienced have had disappointing OEM tires.
That's the way the tires were on our Edge. They were Michelin Primacy MXM4s in 265/40/22. They just never wore right and the alignment apparently are spot on. Our Tesla has the EV version of these tires, which I believe are the same thing, but with the foam liner. Those seem fine but we've only put 6,500 miles on them so far.

I'm running Dunlop Conquest Sports on the GTI. The dealer installed those. I'm somewhat on the fence about them. They're a Y rated tire, but an all season and until yesterday I thought they were completely overwhelmed by the Stage 1 tune. Yesterday was warm enough that after a bit of a drive the tires actually hooked up in second gear. You could feel them fighting for traction but it didn't obliterate them like it has every other time. It's been cold otherwise ever since the tune was done. I know I need dedicated summers and snow tires for this car. I just started doing a bit of reading to see what I want to run, which had me finding this thread.

I had a 74 Mustang II that had the Firestone 721s on the front. One tire while driving at hiway speed threw a steel belt, ripped splashguard off car.

So many of these "bad experiences" tires are long gone and not manufactured anymore.

The ContiProContacts that came stock on my car were pretty awful. Felt really unrefined while driving. Hydroplaned pretty bad. Complete garbage in winter conditions (they really shouldn't be allowed to call them "all-seasons"). Cracked and dry-rotted.

I think getting flats are more of a "luck of the draw", than they are having to do with tire quality. A nail can go through a $250.00 tire just as easily as a $60.00 one.
I think you're right but a "performance tire" is going to be more sticky than other tires. I think this stickiness is what gave any road debris a second or third chance at puncturing any tire. Also, I didn't change my driving routes etc. in any way when I owned the D60A2's

Most of my tire experience has been good, with twoish exceptions: One of Cooper's lower end tires (wore out very quickly)- the only time I've had issue with Cooper. The other is sort of with Michelin, who makes a great tire, but turns into the hardest compound ever as they age out. It would be great if they'd just wear out without doing this, but maybe that's the part that makes them good in the first place. if you aren't aware of their tendency to do this, you could be surprised while driving.

What are the worst tires you've used? I haven't driven on much other than michelins.
Anything my parents had on their vehicles that were installed in Arizona where they live. It must be the rubbed compound. If it got below 40f they were like driving on grease.

Pirelli. I had a set on my '85 BMW 325e. That car would slip and slide if it was raining 2 counties away! Went Yokohama AVS U+4. Superb tire.

Back