Well the BMW puked a water pump

Had a number of water pumps fail on me, including a water pump fly wheel that became detached (broke at retaining point with pump shaft) on a Boxster S at around 75mph. No coolant spilling, just instant high temp. Fly wheel flung around the engine. Horrendous noise, but fortunately limited collateral damage, other than to the wallet. What was your failure point, water pump gasket or housing? Just curious as an owner of a 2016 BMW 328i (manual trans) rear wheel drive. 61K on it so far and all good!

Based on suggested expected lifetime, thinking I should be proactive, as in before 100K. Anyone else had BMWs with water pump failures?

Is this a performance model, or your plain jane grocery getter? the more performance, the more you pay to buy—and the more likely to have issues. Always been that way. Expectations change based on the purpose and all.

I don’t understand how a $45 pump that takes 45 minutes is $900 though?

I really like BMW styling and if I could afford one it would be an M8 Competition coupe.

In terms of reliability….. I know my Honda with 120K miles would easily outlast a new M8.

Is there somewhere in this thread that 45 min. is the stated labor time to R&R?

2001 Hyundai Sonata V6 Aisin water pump $49.
2001 BMW 325i HEPU water pump $45.

Well, of course. And OP’s vehicle is 2012-2015 model.
But, since someone had to mention nonsense like that, just to clarify price. Also, to replace water pump on 2001 BMW, it takes 45 minutes.

Shoot, I think the OP has a 2016 340i, so I may well be wrong here... reading too fast for my own good. Sorry! reading comprehension fail on my part.

Had a number of water pumps fail on me, including a water pump fly wheel that became detached (broke at retaining point with pump shaft) on a Boxster S at around 75mph. No coolant spilling, just instant high temp. Fly wheel flung around the engine. Horrendous noise, but fortunately limited collateral damage, other than to the wallet. What was your failure point, water pump gasket or housing? Just curious as an owner of a 2016 BMW 328i (manual trans) rear wheel drive. 61K on it so far and all good!

Based on suggested expected lifetime, thinking I should be proactive, as in before 100K. Anyone else had BMWs with water pump failures?
Do it at 100k.
What you ALWAYS have to pay attention on all N engines (except V8) is serpentine belt. If that breaks it can get sucked into engine through front crank seal. Leak on OFHG will damage belt if it is neglected.

I wonder what percentage of those water pumps were in good enough condition to keep going.
I left mine alone, along with the hydraulic tensioner plunger. I can't remember the exact mileage but I was late doing it. The 1MZ-FE was still running perfectly at 265k Kms when I sold it, headed for a shipping container. ;)

Shiny new water pump.
$450 parts
$350 labor
$80 tax/misc
Runs like new again.

C20A3E27-45E1-4D84-B9C6-09C3D607BD24.jpeg

DB06ABC9-8ACB-4591-BE85-D4C3AACB6210.jpeg

Love that car. I test drove a 328 with the I4 and loved the power delivery. Was nervous about the scheduled 40k walnut blasting, and decided against the 328 based on my fit into the interior. Still kinda want one, but should probably look at the 5 someday. How’s life with that DI I4?

Love that car. I test drove a 328 with the I4 and loved the power delivery. Was nervous about the scheduled 40k walnut blasting, and decided against the 328 based on my fit into the interior. Still kinda want one, but should probably look at the 5 someday. How’s life with that DI I4?
It isn't an I4, it's a DI turbo 3.0L I6.
Completely different experience.
2016 340i

Last edited:

water pump "fly wheel"? You mean impeller- was it the OE Pierburg plastic? Was there any bearing noise warning before this happned?

As far as I remember, they don't last that long.
But, Lexus is not BMW. That is why you can't find them on tracks. You might see somewhere IS500, maybe. It simply is not a performance vehicle, regardless of what Lexus claims. 0-60 times and similar stuff does not mean a performance vehicle. So yeah, it is simpler, but it is generally designed for audiences in Florida retiree homes.
yes, for ppl that value a smooth, quiet and reliable car...

Shiny new water pump.
$450 parts
$350 labor
$80 tax/misc
Runs like new again.

View attachment 111788

View attachment 111787
Seems reasonable.

The B58 seems fairly reliable other than the rare event when the secondary cooling circuit (air/water intercooler) develops a leak at the cap or intercooler. That pump is electric.

I just turned 65k miles on my '15 435i (N55) and still have original pump/thermostat. I really want to do the work myself when the time comes.

Back