Well the BMW puked a water pump

70,000 miles is pretty short for a water pump. I would expect better than that.
They are known to fail at 60k or 100k. There are some with 150k. Everything depends on exploitation. ECU drives pump depending on driving situation. City? Higher rpms. Hwy? Lower or not at all (thermostat is also electronically controlled).
But if you like to push car, they are best thing. On 335 you can actually code desired temperature at certain driving parameters. They are really not expensive, but labor is, as they are located below. If it is xDrive, it is more labor intensive.

Which is fine but what I meant was, apples to oranges, no comparison between the two, as you already mentioned.
Well, of course. And OP’s vehicle is 2012-2015 model.
But, since someone had to mention nonsense like that, just to clarify price. Also, to replace water pump on 2001 BMW, it takes 45 minutes.

I had a dispute with a dealer, because on doing the 4 wheel alignment they broke my rear brake sensor wire on the pass side. I thought it was gonna be a bring it back well fix it. They denied it. Well I had just DIY 4 brakes 90 miles prior. Plus if it were already broken it woulda been on the RO on the way in when they read the key.

Long story short I went BBB and dropped their A+ rating to C. Then the director calls what can we do? I said change my water pump. He said you have a problem with your water pump? I said no but I heard that's over $1k so when it happens I'll be covered. They agreed.

Then I said, I don't want them ever touching my car again--it'd be like sending food back to the kitchen then eating it? So I never went back. They also sent me a free oil change. No thanks, I DIY that too. At any rate water pump still going strong '07 335i.

By the way I told them I want them to pay for the sensor wire they broke, they also agreed, how much? I said $12. "That's it? We can do more." That's when I said ok water pump That's the beauty of BMW, OEM is literally $12, original $28. On a Lexus it's probably $100 :ROFLMAO:

They are known to fail at 60k or 100k. There are some with 150k. Everything depends on exploitation. ECU drives pump depending on driving situation. City? Higher rpms. Hwy? Lower or not at all (thermostat is also electronically controlled).
But if you like to push car, they are best thing. On 335 you can actually code desired temperature at certain driving parameters. They are really not expensive, but labor is, as they are located below. If it is xDrive, it is more labor intensive.

That’s understandable. This is a performance car.

I’ve replaced water pumps on a proactive basis when they did the timing belts on previous cars but I’ve never had one go bad on its own.

That’s understandable. This is a performance car.

I’ve replaced water pumps on a proactive basis when they did the timing belts on previous cars but I’ve never had one go bad on its own.
+1
I've never had a water pump leak/fail on my e30 BMW.

FYI its the B58 with mechanical water pump. They went back to those for some reason.

And its still worth it. I could never drive another Asian car, any of them. I know they are more reliable.

I spend a lot of time in the car so, its got to be fun. And comfortable.
The mechanical pumps on the B58 last longer than the electric pumps on the N series engines, yours is likely a fluke.

I've owned BMWs for 25 years. I've always thought of 60K miles as the proper interval for water pump service, going back to the M20 engine from the '80s (which coincided with timing belt service). I've replaced radiators every 120K miles, as the plastic hose nipples can get brittle and break -- which also produces sudden coolant loss.

I don't care to own a bimmer newer than the E39, but even in the older models it pays to keep up on cooling system maintenance.

FYI its the B58 with mechanical water pump. They went back to those for some reason.

And its still worth it. I could never drive another Asian car, any of them. I know they are more reliable.

BMW went back to mechanical water pumps because their electric water pumps were a real problem. Basically, the electric motor was not properly thermally isolated from the pump. As a result, the motors would overheat and die.

This is why people like Lexus so much :D

Even cars with a timing belt have a water pump that last longer than that :sneaky:

(you usually replace a water pump along with a TB)

Last edited:

Even cars with a timing belt have a water pump that last longer than that :sneaky:

That is the usual drill though I wonder what percentage of those water pumps were in good enough condition to keep going.

The changing made sense because they already had it open. It might be a typical service upsell.

It all depended on the vehicle. One car I had required the engine to come out. It made sense in that case.

Yes. They have mechanical water pumps and very complex dual cooling systems. There were a lot of complications with cooling on N54 on track. BMW did not initially deliver 335 in 2007 to the NA market with a heat exchanger or radiator oil cooler. The thinking was that due to speed limits etc. it does not need. Of course, it was a debacle when Motor Trend took it to Willow Springs against G35 or 37 and went to limp mode due to oil temperatures. Later they started to put heat exchangers or radiator-type oil coolers, depending on the package. But, people really, really liked E chassis as it is pretty much indestructible and love N54 to tune as it can handle up to 1100hp. But, cooling became an issue. So on track radiator type cooler was no sufficient, especially in the combo with automatic. I know some people go big CSF coolant radiator+ two oil coolers+transmission radiator type cooler.
So, with B58, they completely redesigned that so that people don't have to go aftermarket for track purposes. So far, I don't know anyone in B48, B58 or S58 having cooling issues on track. Also, B58 is designed with tunning in mind. Biggest complaint about N55 engine were hp limits, although it was far more reliable than N54. So, they offered an engine that can take 1000hp+, and appropriate cooling. The mechanical pump was added bcs. Reliability and they managed to use a more complex thermostat to offer the same operability as the older electric pump. So in theory, it is more reliably, but it is generally more complex with a dual systems and so many coolers.

Yours is a fluke. Mostly issue with B58 cooling system is that they were losing coolant, and no one could identify where.

As far as I remember, they don't last that long.
But, Lexus is not BMW. That is why you can't find them on tracks. You might see somewhere IS500, maybe. It simply is not a performance vehicle, regardless of what Lexus claims. 0-60 times and similar stuff does not mean a performance vehicle. So yeah, it is simpler, but it is generally designed for audiences in Florida retiree homes.

At first I thought $900 to replace a water pump was excessive then I remembered a couple months ago I paid $1000 for a new fuel pump in my 2002 blazer :eek:

Back