Well the BMW puked a water pump

That's physics, an inline 6 has primary and secondary balance. I've seen over the years people trying to argue a V6 is as smooth or smoother--I always wondered do they have both in their garage to compare, or just making that up? lol

My LS is a 4.3 V8, it's silky smooth, despite not having primary balance, they are inherently balanced. I've never owned a V12 to compare--that would have primary balance.
I've driven V12's from Aston, BMW, and Mercedes, absolutely beautifully smooth in their operation. The 4.6 V8 in my GX460 is also a very nice engine in regards to NVH.

tractors as in big rigs are all inline 6, I'm guessing so the power and torque go to doing work, not ways to try to smooth out a rough engine...
Low end torque.
They are not confined with lack of space so I6 makes sense.
Many manufacturers, Lexus especially, are cutting corners using same or close derivative of appliance engines. Toyota must use V6 bcs. Transverse applications, minivans etc. They are too cheap to go VR6 (that is only VW thing). That is bcs. they figured after first IS that fighting 3 series is fruitless, so they focused on clientele that got pissed with Buick’s, and they also offer bit sportier model like IS, and call it a day. Makes great business sense, but strictly car speaking, it is far cry from Mb, BMW or Audi.

Back