Washing machine/dryer questions?

LG is a pain. Had the HE washer. Between the sensing, load balancing, inch and a half of water for a wash cycle, no agitator, and out of balance shut offs I couldn’t wait to get rid of it. I have a plain Jane Whirlpool with 3 buttons on it. Start, stop, and fill. Grammy lid switch disconnected. Life’s Good again!

I bought LG washer and dryer front loader. I am not going into details other to say we have to wash daily sometimes it is 6 loads and other times one load. We have washed comforters, bedding, jeans full of sheetrock you name it and came out clean. It sends message to my phone when finished or if it has a problem you diagnose with your phone. Direct drive is warranted for 10 years and I bought 3 year extended warranty. We love ours and being mega size I think it's called it holds alot of clothes. With the fill in the front drawer it takes less cleaner. I have the steamer washer and dryer which I thought was a gimmick but have used both. This is just my review of the set we bought. If you have back problems get pedestal.

I have heard Samsungs front loaders to be problematic. I bought a used one for $200 that is 15 years old 2 years ago so far no problems and original owner had no issues. His dryer broke so he opted to get a new set. My kenmore washer bearing went out so I needed only a washer. Washer is blue, dryer is white. They don't match but work great.

Whirl pool conglomerate top loaders or Speed Queen. You pay your money and you take your chances.

My Samsung front loader has been great. If you or the kids get real dirty maybe an agitated top loader is better but for me and the Mrs the front loader is gentler on clothes and gets them clean. Washing our bedding on the sanitize steam cycle keeps the funky odors away in the washer. I read the speed queens have higher utility costs. The front load cycles can be time consuming. Normal load is about 56 minutes and heavy duty is over 2 hours.

We had an LG HE top-loader with the mini agitator and it sucked. I watched multiple loads and was astonished to see that the water level never exceeded the level of the clothes. What was worse, was that what was on the top of the load just stayed there for the entire cycle; it never got moved down or swished around in the load. Even though it was only several years old we let it convey with the condo we sold.

Our Samsung front-loader has been night and day different since we purchased it new with the house a few years ago. The thing seems to use no water at all, but the clothes come out perfectly clean. No issues so far :knocks on wood:

We do have the set in the basement, along with a dehumidifier set to 45%, which keeps the laundry room < 50% at all times. We don't even clean the gasket; we just make sure to maintain the door open at all times while not in use, which has lead us to a funk-free existence.

I bought LG washer and dryer front loader. I am not going into details other to say we have to wash daily sometimes it is 6 loads and other times one load. We have washed comforters, bedding, jeans full of sheetrock you name it and came out clean. It sends message to my phone when finished or if it has a problem you diagnose with your phone. Direct drive is warranted for 10 years and I bought 3 year extended warranty. We love ours and being mega size I think it's called it holds alot of clothes. With the fill in the front drawer it takes less cleaner. I have the steamer washer and dryer which I thought was a gimmick but have used both. This is just my review of the set we bought. If you have back problems get pedestal.
My washer calling me on my phone to tell me it’s finished a wash cycle? No, I can’t do that. I just can’t.

We've got a top load Maytag washer with matching dryer that's probably somewhere between 15-20 years old and still going strong. I've never done anything to the dryer. About 4 years ago I replaced the pump and motor on the washer. New pump, used motor, less than $100 for both and it's still doing fine. If it were me I would probably just go with the cheaper model since you'll likely be replacing it in a few years. From my understanding new washers only have a life expectancy of about 5-7 years.

My washer calling me on my phone to tell me it’s finished a wash cycle? No, I can’t do that. I just can’t.
Once you get use to it then you wonder how you made it without text saying Please unload the laundry. I can wash clothes and cut grass at the same time 😂.

when my mechanical engineer brother was studying this when he was moving a few years ago ( he left his old washer, dryer, refrigerator etc. behind. he had inherited them when he bought the house anyway...) he went with Speed Queen. they just appear to be built better...
we have a Direct Drive Fischer & Pykel washer, and a 15-20yr old GE Dryer. both work fantastically.

that being said, for the time being any appliance purchases for my family will have to be in the whirlpool family....my nephew just got a job at their Freezer factory in Ottawa, OH. (the Former W.C Wood plant)

I have a Speedqueen which I got in late 2016. It has 3.2 CF
The Speedqueen has a small tub which is it's biggest downfall.
So in my opinion, the "most reliable" isn't the best option.
Probably true. My parents had one for 30 years and we have ours for 7 years. Zero problems. We are 74. It will outlast us.

My current washer is a Whirlpool direct drive from 2005. It came with our house. At times, it won't drain. Knowing that it's a good quality washer that is almost 21 years old, I may replace the $40 part and see how long I can keep it going!

We have Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer that’s over 10 years old. Totals repairs: fill valve and shock absorbers costing less than $200
it’s everything they’ll tell you not to buy, electronic controls, lots of settings, front loader but almost no issues. Maybe we are lucky.

My speed queen is for sure+10 and probably +15 yo. Had 1 small repair that was under 25 bucks a few years back.

Option 3. If something were to go wrong, it likely will be in that first year. I have a 26 year old Whirlpool washer and dryer. No problems so far.

Reactions: JTK
We have Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer that’s over 10 years old. Totals repairs: fill valve and shock absorbers costing less than $200
it’s everything they’ll tell you not to buy, electronic controls, lots of settings, front loader but almost no issues. Maybe we are lucky.

My parents have a whirlpool duet front load washer from 2003 and it still works great. The tub seal, door handle, and drain pump have been replaced during it’s 17 years of service. None of the electronics have gone bad either 😄

We are also in the market for a new set. We currently have a Speed Queen set still has the big ugly yellow EnergyGuide stickers on it from 2007. We love the brand we are trying to decide on them or Maytag or a Whirlpool. We have been to Lowe’s, Home Depot and many local appliance stores and every single one of them told us to stay away from LG or Samsung and said they have nothing but problems. So we are still looking for one we are on a budget since we are having to do our roof too. But our dryer is getting worse each time right now you have to dry the clothes about 4 times to get them dry. But they have also done great on my mechanics clothes and stuff that’s probably why they are both so worn out lol.

Family of 6 here as well. We've had an LG front load washer that I bought from either Lowes or Home Depot back around 2006-07. Never an issue with it and no signs of quitting yet which seems amazing based on what I read and hear on people's issues.

Our gas dryer is a Kenmore large capacity that I bought off a local fella who refurbishes washers and dryers. He mostly deals with Kenmore/Whirlpool, but does others as well. I bought it about 5yrs ago It replaced a kenmore that was very old. Late 80's, early 90s.

My suggestion with front-load washers is, they're great if you need to conserve water or are on a septic system. Other than that, go with a top load. I believe they wash better. Front loaders don't use enough water. When I do loads of wash, I always select more water and longer cycles. I know my bride and kids generally do not and the clothes come out not as clean.

Back