Need a new clothes washer - does anyone make durable appliances anymore?

I've had a basic Speed Queen top loader for almost exactly 9 years. No problems at all to date. Not sold in box stores, only independents for full retail, typically. I think that might have been near the end of old school design/manufacture, but not sure. I recall the mention of steel gears and stainless tub. Basic manual knob controls that work. You can override the nanny water level cutoff. Cleans clothes well. I did briefly glance at their washers online of late and I believe they now source some parts from China but still US produced.

Prior to that I went through two new washers, which each lasted about 5 years, One was a Frigidaire Flair, which was supposed to be quality. Had it fixed 3 times in the first 3 months, then limped on for some years. A washing machine that actually rusted. Prior to all those I had a real Maytag, top loader bought new in 1980. It was still working fine when I left it in a house I sold in 2006.

We have two washers … one fancy Maytag (good machine) and a more basic Kenmore (1 up from bottom) … both wash just fine … like the knobs really … about 50% cheaper …

Even if you have to do a 1 time "fix it" payment, find yourself a good old 1980s top loading steel machine. I'd even pay $100 for someone to fix a broken one. Those things last decades and do a good job.

I've found many, many for free or cheap online.

We had a Kenmore elite. It was made in Germany. Great machine. Still running. A few years back we got a Maytag. Neighbor has one. Sister has one. All good so far.

Is it engineered obsolescence or incompetence or just being cheap?
Inflation.

If real cost of manufacturing (parts, material, etc) are to keep up those $500 appliance would have been $1000-1500 by now vs mid 90s. Wives like new appliance look with touch screen and silence, just like the way they like their cars and phones and furniture. Wives would throw away solid wood furniture for veneer MDF that's in fashion regardless of durability.

So, yeah, that's what we got and what we wanted. My wife told me she want new washer dryer set to match the house and I say no, and soon after her dad's new washer died, and then a few years later the replacement died again. I just preemptively rebuild the whole thing with new FSP parts before she can whine about it. So in theory it should last the same amount of time again (20 years). We'll see.

If you really want good stuff go to a real appliance store and buy coin operated washer dryer, and just don't use the coin operated part. I know for sure they last, even Whirlpool. The last set we have lasted 20 years in a building with 4 units, so in theory it should last you 20x4=80 years. We repaired it here and there of course, everything including the drum has been replaced, but finally the frame rusted out so it is replaced with a Speed Queen.

These guys make one heck of a machine. It's not cheap, but well designed. It's a top loader, with the internals being like a front loader. They are not totally bulletproof, but they are designed to be user repairable.
These machines are so tough, they use them on cruise ships, and some are used in coin op laundries...now that's tough service.

We had one for about ten years before we had an issue. The tub bearings got rough and a bit noisy. Took me about 2 hours to replace them, but it was good as new after that.

Also, MADE IN USA! (Ohio in fact)

Oh yeah, and if you want to save on your water bill this machine is perfect. They use them on ships for that reason.

I remember seeing top load horizontal tumble back in Asia, it was an innovative concept but I haven't seen them recently anymore.

If you really want good stuff go to a real appliance store and buy coin operated washer dryer, and just don't use the coin operated part. I know for sure they last, even Whirlpool.
Whirlpool’s using their new, cheapened modular system for commercial washers. Laundromats these days are using Dexter(based on my observations in Oakland and SF). Dexter uses Delta VFDs/PLCs and off the shelf motors/bearings/belts. Speed Queen’s lost some of that market. Speed Queen’s focused on apartment buildings now, WASH Laundry supports those for multi-family buildings.

Last edited:
Inflation.

If real cost of manufacturing (parts, material, etc) are to keep up those $500 appliance would have been $1000-1500 by now vs mid 90s. Wives like new appliance look with touch screen and silence, just like the way they like their cars and phones and furniture. Wives would throw away solid wood furniture for veneer MDF that's in fashion regardless of durability.

So, yeah, that's what we got and what we wanted. My wife told me she want new washer dryer set to match the house and I say no, and soon after her dad's new washer died, and then a few years later the replacement died again. I just preemptively rebuild the whole thing with new FSP parts before she can whine about it. So in theory it should last the same amount of time again (20 years). We'll see.

If you really want good stuff go to a real appliance store and buy coin operated washer dryer, and just don't use the coin operated part. I know for sure they last, even Whirlpool. The last set we have lasted 20 years in a building with 4 units, so in theory it should last you 20x4=80 years. We repaired it here and there of course, everything including the drum has been replaced, but finally the frame rusted out so it is replaced with a Speed Queen.
My wife and I don't give an F about the esthetics of these appliances - we just want them to work. Just seems like there should be a larger market for the no nonsense consumer that just wants something that works and is willing to pay for it. I guess it's there but you really have t go out of your way to find these companies.

We buy all of our appliances from a local business and that's how I ended up with the Speed Queen dryer. Of course, the only SQ model left for washers is the floor model and the salesman stated all SQ is back-ordered now. Fun times....thanks for everyone's opinion.

Yea, Miele’s machines are much smaller in the US and use a heat pump for drying. Perfect for a “luxury” studio/apartment in Manhattan/San Francisco or a cabin.

Miele’s vacuums rock though. Better than the junk Hoover/Eureka/Shark passes off but be prepared to pay for it.
+1 on Miele canister vacs! Lightweight ,easy to pull along as you vac........not that I use it that much. lol.

We just had to replace a 4 years old Whirlpool Cabrio washer as the bearings got super loud. 4 years seems like a joke to me.

Consumer Reports said the LG Brand washers are in the highest class for less repairs and most consumer satisfaction. Whirlpool was down in the third tier per Consumer Reports.

We just bought an LG from Lowe's. A five year warranty was about $160 and seemed a good buy.

I have a business associate in appliance sales and service. From him....nothing is made like it once was. So no.

Speed Queen. Made in the USA in Ripon WI. Just watch the videos on youtube.com

I have both a SQ washer and dryer.....very durable. They replaced a front loader GE washer, and Maytag (pre-Whirlpool design buyout). I could not not be happier. Stay with the models that use physical knobs instead of the membrane button touch panel controls.
We were close to getting those until we realized our house came with the appliances. My mom has them and loves them although she did have a seal failure on the washer 2 different times, both of which were fixed under warranty.

+1 on the Speed Queen.

I am a personal fan of Whirlpool since ive had no issue with parts and nearly all washers are made in Ohio with US made steel although most plastic parts do come from mexico.

The Roper washer and dryer i bought were both made in Ohio by Whirlpool and have served me well as well as my parents Maytag washer i bought them last year is still holding up very well with no issues.

Maybe you just had a bad apple. Whirlpool seems to rank high across the board. That’s what we chose.

Whirlpool makes a good washer. Bought the house in 2015 and it came with a 3-5 year old Whirlpool "vertical modular washer". It never skipped a beat, sold it on CL to a guy a few months ago when we upgraded.

We just had to replace a 4 years old Whirlpool Cabrio washer as the bearings got super loud. 4 years seems like a joke to me.

Consumer Reports said the LG Brand washers are in the highest class for less repairs and most consumer satisfaction. Whirlpool was down in the third tier per Consumer Reports.

We just bought an LG from Lowe's. A five year warranty was about $160 and seemed a good buy.
I have read the reviews in Consumer Reports where LG was highly rated. But an independent repair guy told me they no longer work on LG appliances. Not sure of the reason.

Back