Washer/dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.
When our Whirlpool FLW imploded, we bought a Samsung with steam cycle that was on sale at Home Depot. It was basically on sale everywhere for $650. It got terrible reviews for reliability but it's been good to us so far. Oxiclean plus steam cycle gets out stains very well.

If you are doing that much laundry, a gas dryer is a no brainer.
More $ going in, but the amount of money saved is substantial.
We have had a gas dryer for years, and would never go to electric unless unavoidable.
As far as brands, the repair people that I have talked with unanimously endorsed the Whirlpool brands, not that they are that much better, but that part accessibility is better than any of the other brands.

No, she does a load of wash a day, but there's always a drying rack out. She just indicated that she uses the dryer once or twice a week--pretty sure it's more than that--but I know the washer is used more often. [She and the daughter do ballet, and that clothing is too "delicate" for the dryer. My stuff, sometimes I think she just sets it on fire to dry it out.]

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I dont suggest you read the reviews because you will not want to buy any washer or dryer.

Reviews read.."best ever..then the next one says avoid" Its like reading a bipolar fictional story!

So true, haha! We had to buy a new washer last year and after doing a bunch of research (online reviews), I didn't want to buy any of them!

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by PimTac
If you are determined to get a Kenmore then check the individual models for who made it and where. I believe Whirlpool makes most of their stuff but LG makes some as well. It's a grab bag of contracts.

I would read Consumer Reports for what is most reliable. I would think Whirlpool or Maytag (same company I believe). Keep in mind that like many things Kenmore can get a washer built to their specs. So its matter less who builds it.

My guess is no great savings for gas dryer vs electric. The heating of the water is what consumes the energy for washing clothes.

The gas stove is not to save energy rather that top chefs prefer gas.

We wash 99.9% with cold water , so that is not necessary an issue .

We had a gas dryer , once . Thought I would save a ton of money . Can not say I could ever tell the difference . But I liked it , any way .

Gas dryers may be more difficult to locate .

We have always had top load washers . Would think front loaders would be more prone to leaks ?

I usually get most of my appliances from Lowes. If it's in stock and you order by 3pm, they will deliver it the next day. Too bad they're laying off a bunch of employees, they also closed a bunch of stores so I guess they're not doing as well vs Home Depot. Price wise, they're about the same, only Home Depot takes a couple weeks to deliver. Last time I got a special buy at Home Depot, delivery was going to take two weeks then it got rescheduled. When Sears stopped offering free delivery and started charging $75, I kinda knew that was going to be the end for them. Basically made their appliances $75 more expensive. As for the gas vs electric dryer, depending on the cost of electricity in the area, gas is much cheaper especially if you use it a lot. All you have to do is compare the energy labels on the front. In the northeast, electricity isn't cheap, they burn gas to make electricity so it's cheaper just to burn gas. For those worried about gas leaks, you can also buy natural gas leak detectors just like smoke alarms.

Originally Posted by supton
I dunno about my new septic but my current one has not had any issues with overload. Not sure what it'd cost to put in a dry well, don't think it'd be cost effective.

We do hang a fair amount up to dry, either inside or out, when it can be done.

Dry wells are illegal to install new. They typically are a band aid to a failing septic system.

Originally Posted by tony1679
No experience, but I hear Speed Queen is legit. I'll be looking for a set in 6-8 months, and those will be my first look.

What's so special about Speed Queen ?

My washer and dryer last 15 years without any problems....

I've heard that Speed Queen is not the same as it once was. There was a discussion here about that some while back.

There are a handful of manufacturers that make all the brands. Whirlpool makes several brands. The nameplate means very little these days.

Speed Queen is the only one that still uses metal gears in transmission that i know of.Just replaced a 6 year old Whirlpool with Speed Queen difference between the two is night vs day, The speed Queen is much better form rinsing of soap out and cloths are dryer comming out

I've heard that Speed Queen is not the same as it once was.

True.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Originally Posted by Donald
If you are determined to get a Kenmore then check the individual models for who made it and where. I believe Whirlpool makes most of their stuff but LG makes some as well. It's a grab bag of contracts.

I would read Consumer Reports for what is most reliable. I would think Whirlpool or Maytag (same company I believe). Keep in mind that like many things Kenmore can get a washer built to their specs. So its matter less who builds it.

My guess is no great savings for gas dryer vs electric. The heating of the water is what consumes the energy for washing clothes.

The gas stove is not to save energy rather that top chefs prefer gas.

We wash 99.9% with cold water , so that is not necessary an issue .

We had a gas dryer , once . Thought I would save a ton of money . Can not say I could ever tell the difference . But I liked it , any way .

Gas dryers may be more difficult to locate .

We have always had top load washers . Would think front loaders would be more prone to leaks ?

Door leaks aren't an issue with front loaders.

Here are the issues with FL washers:

Will walk, make a lot of noise on soft subfloors (second floor installs).

The door seal retain some water and it will eventually grow mold if you don't give it a quick wipe with a towel.

Mold growth in the drain piping or tub. Manufacturers recommend you leave the door ajar.

Due to low water usage you must use HE detergent and avoid liquid fabric softener (softener will coat the inside and provide food for mold growth.)

Sanitizers are available to keep washers clean.

Long run times due to low water usage.

Due to reduced water usage you can have poor hot water performance if the washer doesn't have a built in heater and/or your water heater is at the far side of the house.

Other than the control panel they're non-repairable because the cost of parts and repairs are almost the cost of a new washer.

My two cents

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by supton
I dunno about my new septic but my current one has not had any issues with overload. Not sure what it'd cost to put in a dry well, don't think it'd be cost effective.

We do hang a fair amount up to dry, either inside or out, when it can be done.

Dry wells are illegal to install new. They typically are a band aid to a failing septic system.

You don't want bleach and lint going into a septic new or old.

Its relatively clean water no phosphates.

Remember when at Grandma house in the '60's the just had a wash machine hose out to the driveway and it went down the DW into the town sewer drain
smile.gif

Illegal. Ya. OK arrest me. I Selectively ignore silly laws. My life, my rules.

But a good note for supton we dont want him in the slammer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back