New GE washer & dryer

We replaced an old GE washer & dryer with a new GE washer & dryer. New washer is WIFI enabled and gets occasional software updates.

The reason for starting this thread is to give a big thumbs up for auto detergent dispenser. It's cut our detergent use in half. You tell the machine the brand and specific detergent so it can add the proper amount to each load.

This tells me that we were probably adding 2x what was needed. Wife measures by eye so probably always adds too much.

Too much detergent wastes money, not good for clothes (not all gets rinsed out) and excess detergent gets left in the machine and can cause mold.

Were the appliances in stock when you bought them?

I bought a dryer about a year ago and they said take the floor model or wait 9 months for our next delivery.

Some liquid detergent brands are more concentrated than others. For example, Tide, OMO and Persil are on the thicker side, almost gel like, so I use less. Arm & Hammer and L.A.'s Totally Awesome are like water, you might need more.

Another thick vs. thin thread :ROFLMAO:

Funny you mention detergent use. After moving to the new house which has a well and water softener I've had to cut my detergent use in half. I used to have hard city water; well not anymore! The first load of laundry was uhh interesting... :ROFLMAO:

Also did the same thing with shampoo and body wash the first couple times... :oops:

Some liquid detergent brands are more concentrated than others. For example, Tide, OMO and Persil are on the thicker side, almost gel like, so I use less. Arm & Hammer and L.A.'s Totally Awesome are like water, you might need more.

Another thick vs. thin thread :ROFLMAO:
The GE washer knows all that based upon the setup you do.

GE will be on my short list when the time comes. Could be sooner rather than later, but who knows. My current GE washer and dryer are 20 years old and still going strong. *knock on wood*

Funny you mention detergent use. After moving to the new house which has a well and water softener I've had to cut my detergent use in half. I used to have hard city water; well not anymore! The first load of laundry was uhh interesting... :ROFLMAO:

Also did the same thing with shampoo and body wash the first couple times... :oops:
I always notice this when traveling home (softened water) from my apartment (hard water that's not softened at all).
It seems like double the shampoo and body wash are needed with the hard water. Bar soap leaves much more scum on the tub, and gives a waxier/greasier sensation on the skin than it does when used with soft water (it feels "squeaky clean," I guess). Dish soap seems less effective at a given amount used, so naturally more is used to achieve the typical results.
The flip side is that it seems harder to fully rinse shampoo and such out with soft water, particularly if you use the larger portion that would be needed for harder water.

We probably use a bit too much soap, but we also set the water level to high and an extra rinse on our low tech washer, so it works out ok. I just hope they continue to make and sell low tech appliances... Or a manufacturer would step up and offer a useful warranty on the whiz bang stuff... We have a half decent bbq now where the whole thing is warrantied for 15 years and the burners and grills are lifetime.

I always notice this when traveling home (softened water) from my apartment (hard water that's not softened at all).
It seems like double the shampoo and body wash are needed with the hard water. Bar soap leaves much more scum on the tub, and gives a waxier/greasier sensation on the skin than it does when used with soft water (it feels "squeaky clean," I guess). Dish soap seems less effective at a given amount used, so naturally more is used to achieve the typical results.
The flip side is that it seems harder to fully rinse shampoo and such out with soft water, particularly if you use the larger portion that would be needed for harder water.

That’s the problem with anything that uses traditional fat based soap. The soap bonds to calcium and magnesium in water, which is soap scum. I have relatively soft water but even then I’ll find soap scum because it’s not deionized. Most shampoos use detergents that don’t form soap scum. I’ve used bar cleansers that contain no soap. A water softener would substitute sodium ions for the calcium or magnesium, which won’t form soap scum.

A lot of bathroom cleaners contain EDTA which is a chelating agent that pulls out the calcium and magnesium. I remember when I used to wear contact lenses, it was an ingredient in saline and disinfecting solutions, where it was supposed to prevent calcium and magnesium deposits from sticking to the lens surface.

I have nothing against GE appliances and highly respect their higher end Cafe' brand of kitchen appliances.

Most, not all, laundry detergents contain optical brighteners which fade clothes. If you claim you don't notice any fading, well I guess you've never owned black jeans. I could go into great length about optical brighteners and laundry detergents.

I have nothing against GE appliances and highly respect their higher end Cafe' brand of kitchen appliances.

Most, not all, laundry detergents contain optical brighteners which fade clothes. If you claim you don't notice any fading, well I guess you've never owned black jeans. I could go into great length about optical brighteners and laundry detergents.

I've seen what they do. I've been in certain filtered windows or maybe lit by blacklight where I could see my socks or T-shirt almost look it was giving off a bluish glow.

whiteshirtsuvpng.png

They're not recommended for military clothing because they might be easier to spot at night - maybe with night vision? I think this list here might be old, because newer versions of Cheer do contain optical brighteners.

Does APS set it to 80 for you in july?

Twisting a couple wires together would solve that problem! 🤣

I actually have SRP but I didn't buy it through their program, just picked it up at Home Depot. I like being able to turn it up when not at home and setting it to where I want just before returning home.

I’m a bit skeptical now that GE Appliances is owned by a Chinese company.
Well for us it came down to the people who service appliances working on GE and parts availability. The service for LG and Samsung is disorganized and for us in Sussex County it comes from Philadelphia.

Back