LG Washer finally said no more, I can't.

Maytag does make a commercial grade top load washer you can buy direct from them delivered to your house that has old school construction with heavy duty components.
It’s based on the Vertical Modular Washer design but built for commercial use. It’s recently been updated and you can now select water levels, like an old fashioned washer and it has new fancy knobs. I like it. Price jumped quite a bit though, it’s as much as a Speed Queen TC series

Our circa 2013 LG washer and Dryer have been decent. The washer needed a drain pump, a rock appears to have gotten past the filter and guessing that's what broke it. The dryer has needed rollers and a cycling thermostat replaced. I preemptively replaced the belt with a new one while I was in there and fought issues with the drum slipping after the new belt so reverted back to the original belt, which looked perfect anyway, and all is now well.

I actually had to do the rollers twice, the first time I used economy rollers since the LG ones were out of stock. Well those only lasted 6 months or so and ended up getting hair and stuff wrapped in them, similar original rollers. The new ones are an updated design that seems to prevent that issue which I assume becomes worse once the felt seal starts to wear.

They seem fairly easy to work on and come apart logically. We are pleased with them, it pained me to not buy a made in USA set though most/all of those front loaders got poor reviews back then.

I bought these to save water, our old set would use 75 gallons on a heavy duty wash with extra rinse and at the time we were doing ALOT of laundry. I was afraid the septic wouldn't hold up. especially due to that particularly wet spring. There were days we were running over 200 gallons of wash water into the septic. The typical load on these uses 10 to 15 gallons of water, I think with all options maxed out it still will only use 30 gallons for a load and thats with pre-wash and 3x extra rinse.

Maytag = Whirlpool. FYI. Whirlpool bought Maytag in 2006.
Yes, and near the tail end of Maytag's pre buyout years the management started lowering the price point and in some cases quality of their machines to compete with Whirlpool instead of offering a premium product. In the end I believe some of those decisions are what led up to the buyout happening.

There is a really good book called Boom, Bust, Exodus written about the Galesburg Illinois Maytag plant, its history and its closure and even follow the production to the new plant in Reynosa.

Not saying there are not good Whirlpool/Maytag products, its just a facinating story. We have a 2010 Maytag/Whirlpool French door frifge that has been an absolute unit, they thing had been great. It did need a board at 12 years old after countless power blink events and surges over the years, the Caps failed on the board, but other than that its solid.

Our circa 2013 LG washer and Dryer have been decent. The washer needed a drain pump, a rock appears to have gotten past the filter and guessing that's what broke it. The dryer has needed rollers and a cycling thermostat replaced. I preemptively replaced the belt with a new one while I was in there and fought issues with the drum slipping after the new belt so reverted back to the original belt, which looked perfect anyway, and all is now well.

I actually had to do the rollers twice, the first time I used economy rollers since the LG ones were out of stock. Well those only lasted 6 months or so and ended up getting hair and stuff wrapped in them, similar original rollers. The new ones are an updated design that seems to prevent that issue which I assume becomes worse once the felt seal starts to wear.

They seem fairly easy to work on and come apart logically. We are pleased with them, it pained me to not buy a made in USA set though most/all of those front loaders got poor reviews back then.

I bought these to save water, our old set would use 75 gallons on a heavy duty wash with extra rinse and at the time we were doing ALOT of laundry. I was afraid the septic wouldn't hold up. especially due to that particularly wet spring. There were days we were running over 200 gallons of wash water into the septic. The typical load on these uses 10 to 15 gallons of water, I think with all options maxed out it still will only use 30 gallons for a load and thats with pre-wash and 3x extra rinse.
I think our dryer might have the same problem with the thermostat but it's weird because the thing still puts out tons of heat but the drying times are all over the place. Sometimes a load is dry in an hour and sometimes it takes two cycles. The duct is clean & clear and even after all this time original set of rollers. I might just take it apart to see anyway.

I think our dryer might have the same problem with the thermostat but it's weird because the thing still puts out tons of heat but the drying times are all over the place. Sometimes a load is dry in an hour and sometimes it takes two cycles. The duct is clean & clear and even after all this time original set of rollers. I might just take it apart to see anyway.
I would (Carefully!) try to run the dryer with the door open and apply some resistance to the rotating drum, after I had put the new belt on we experienced longer and/or incomplete dry cycles. Since it happened right after replacing parts I took it back apart and checked everything and found no problems. I finally checked to see if the drum was slipping and it was, heavier bulkier items made it worse and the clothes were not tumbling like they should resulting in uneven drying.

I replaced the new belt with the old one which I had saved and all was well. The two belts seemed to be of Identical length or really close, however returning to the old belt solved the problem so you may make sure your drum isnt slipping form a stretched or worn belt, and if you do replace it make sure the new one is the exact same size.

@Thermo1223 sorry if I missed it, but which washer did you wind up going with? Older thread here, but I'm in the same boat today. It seems anything you see online sort of leans towards LG for you standard homeowner grade front load washer.

Our LG TROMM WM2077CW, that I bought from Lowes back in 2005 or 06 started howling from it's bearings today. Family of 6 use most of it's life. I haven't had to replace a single thing on it with nearly 18yrs of use! I clean the bellows regularly and have checked the pump strainer a bunch of times, never finding even a hair ball in there. We always leave the door open on it when not in use.

I watched a few youtube videos on replacing bearings on these. I don't want to even try given the age. I can get a new LG front loader delivered from one of the local box stores for just under $800+ tax. I think I paid around $600-700 for my 18yr/old LG.

Maytag does make a commercial grade top load washer you can buy direct from them delivered to your house that has old school construction with heavy duty components.
Yep, commercial technoloy. Wife got a set about 5-6 years ago. The new to us house we bought has a pair of Samsung w/d in it so we're just waiting on them to go tatas up and then we'll move the Maytag stuff into place.

everything made these days DONT last + costs MORE!! my 16 YO whirlpool front loader died, control panel. about $500 + ONLY ONE load a week!! i liked the front loader water savings especially using hot water + simple LOOKING dial controls have ELECTRONICS behind them!! bought a GE simple-cheap top loader before seeing the good priced LG front loader + like everything its the overall cost to buy + operate. i am handy + the internet helps but not with more complicated electronics + replacing a costly part on an older unit is not smart IMO. i can say my laundry LOOKS cleaner + wonder if like recommended thin oils that add a 1/4 mpg a front loader DONT really clean as good as a top loading waterhog!!! you surely cant believe all that is advertised!!! your LG surely outperformed the COSTLIER whirlpool i HAD!!

[QUOTE="I Yep, commercial technoloy. Wife got a set about 5-6 years ago. The new to us house we bought has a pair of Samsung w/d in it so we're just waiting on them to go tatas up and then we'll move the Maytag stuff into place.
[/QUOTE]
I was looking at those online. Looks like they can be had for $1034+tax, free delivery. The problem is, the water use and the reduced load capacity. I'm not sure how it would compare real world to a front loader. I'm on a 50yr/old septic system, so the waste water volume put down the drain is a concern for me. The water factor (IWF) for the Maytag commercial is 6.5 for a 3.5cu/ft capacity machine. If those numbers really mean anything, that's pretty bad. For the ~$700 LG front loader, the water factor is 2.9 and the machine's capacity is 4.5cu/ft. I assume the IWF ratings are determined using the most efficient setting? I always use the extra water setting on our old front loader, but my wife and kids typically do not, so I'm not sure how much that

@Thermo1223 sorry if I missed it, but which washer did you wind up going with? Older thread here, but I'm in the same boat today. It seems anything you see online sort of leans towards LG for you standard homeowner grade front load washer.

Our LG TROMM WM2077CW, that I bought from Lowes back in 2005 or 06 started howling from it's bearings today. Family of 6 use most of it's life. I haven't had to replace a single thing on it with nearly 18yrs of use! I clean the bellows regularly and have checked the pump strainer a bunch of times, never finding even a hair ball in there. We always leave the door open on it when not in use.

I watched a few youtube videos on replacing bearings on these. I don't want to even try given the age. I can get a new LG front loader delivered from one of the local box stores for just under $800+ tax. I think I paid around $600-700 for my 18yr/old LG.
Ended up going with these;

GE Washer

GE Dryer

I liked it for the auto dose detergent feature from a recommendation by another BITOG member. I am pretty sure both I & the wife use too much on any given load.

Maytag is now branded as the commercial-quality companion to Whirlpool. Talking to appliance guys there seems to some substance behind this assertion. We have a new Maytag front-loader on order - they were even on sale.
Maytag is a powerful brand name, and a heavy advertising campaign was done using the “ lonely Maytag repairman” . I hope they live up to the assertion of quality. Whirlpool owns Maytag.

New home, new appliances, went LG with the Refrigerator, washer and dryer. Researched it as much as possible, very happy with our choices.
With that said, I see you like front loaders and we like top loader for the washer. I also like the agitator though the same exact model can be bought without the agitator for within a few dollars and actually saw them at the same exact price.
IMG_5497.JPG

IMG_5498.JPG

Frigidaire is owned by Electrolux. I haven't had any problems with their products and we have 2 homes with two friges and two dishwashers and one dryer.