Need a new clothes washer - does anyone make durable appliances anymore?

Had a Kenmore Elite He3 front-loading washer and dryer and both lasted 10 years and both pooped the bed within 3 months of each other. I replaced that with a Whirlpool top-loading washer and after 3 years it is shot - needs more work than it would cost to replace it. We do a lot of laundry with three teen boys but three years?

So, I'm looking for your opinions on a durable top loading clothes washer. I'm willing to pay more if it means the thing is not built to be replaced in 3 years. Not a fan of front-loaders and not a fan of Samsung or LG.

I appreciate any comments.

Reactions: JC1
Buy something used. Anything new will have critical parts made in China if the whole thing isn't made there and you're lucky if doesn't need repairs during the warranty period, let alone soon after. Still running an 80's Kenmore washer and dryer.

Sadly, no. Mom had a problem with her washer about 6 years ago and the repair guy told her that she should do what she can to keep the thing running because the new ones are 'fertilizer' no matter what brand.

Speed Queen *may* be an option as I recall reading that they realized that their last redesign was a mistake and went back to the older design, but don't quote me on that.

Is it engineered obsolescence or incompetence or just being cheap?

Sadly, no. Mom had a problem with her washer about 6 years ago and the repair guy told her that she should do what she can to keep the thing running because the new ones are 'fertilizer' no matter what brand.

Speed Queen *may* be an option as I recall reading that they realized that their last redesign was a mistake and went back to the older design, but don't quote me on that.
I have a Speed Queen dryer that is going strong but had read so many mixed reviews about their washers - usually something like they used to be great but now they’re trash too. I also read lots of stories about no one picking up the phone when you need warranty work. Perhaps they fixed the washer issue since I last looked online. Thanks…

Family has had excellent service from LG Washers and Dryers. Between three different units, none of us has had a service call on any of them. Mix of Top Loaders and Front Loaders.

If your parameters are no Whirpool, no LG, or No Samsung, that doesn't leave much these days...

Reactions: JC1
Not a fan of top loaders. Family of 4 with two teenage boys here. We had a Maytag one and after about 3 years the shaft seal leaked and ruined the bearings. Had them replaced for $200 dollars parts and labor and it lasted another 3 years.

Now we have a front load LG that was on sale at home depot. I would buy the one you can get the best price on that fits your needs and be ready to replace it in 5 years. Any thing over 5 years is bonus time.

Always leave the door open and the soap tray pulled out so the machine doesn't get mold in it.

Go down to your local library and look in either the back of Consumer Reports Magazine, the index of past issues is there,

or look in the Yearly Guide…

for a detailed review of Washers and dryers…

I just Xerox the pages, ad take them with me when I go shopping…

Had a Kenmore Elite He3 front-loading washer and dryer and both lasted 10 years and both pooped the bed within 3 months of each other. I replaced that with a Whirlpool top-loading washer and after 3 years it is shot - needs more work than it would cost to replace it. We do a lot of laundry with three teen boys but three years?

So, I'm looking for your opinions on a durable top loading clothes washer. I'm willing to pay more if it means the thing is not built to be replaced in 3 years. Not a fan of front-loaders and not a fan of Samsung or LG.

I appreciate any comments.

I've been told the best clothes washer is the floor model or the scratch and dent because today the savings are found in the reduced acquisition cost rather than improved durability.

Last edited:
Your challenge will be two-fold now. Finding a washer that can go the distance, AND actually gets your clothes clean.

I just had a running GE top load hauled away because, since day one, it washed clothes in a puddle. It had a huge wash tub, but you couldn't utilize it because it would never add enough water to actually let the clothes move around. We kept it set on "Bulky", and "Deep Rinse" no matter what we washed. Near the end of our tolerance for this, we were just adding 5 gallon buckets of water to it for the wash & rinse cycles so our clothes would get clean. Stick a fork in me.

I ordered a Whirlpool top load to replace the GE "water miser", and it brought a tear to my eye when I lifted the lid on the first load of clothes, and it had actually filled with water.

WHIRLPOOL WTW5005KW Washer T/L 4.2cf W/Agitator

Now, we pray it lasts.

Speed Queen. Made in the USA in Ripon WI. Just watch the videos on youtube.com

I have both a SQ washer and dryer.....very durable. They replaced a front loader GE washer, and Maytag (pre-Whirlpool design buyout). I could not not be happier. Stay with the models that use physical knobs instead of the membrane button touch panel controls.

When Maytag went China the poo hit the fan and the whole room smelled like a dog fert.

LG is OK but like all LG junk they hire the homeless people from Seattle and call them previous MS software engineers to do the ML, firmware and software interface. Then they will throw an update at the device and it will never perform as good as new.

It's a crap shoot finding reliable new appliances at a reasonable price. In the past two years, we have replaced a 23 year old Whirlpool washer and dryer and have been satisfied with the mid-grade GE replacements (old style agitator washer). We purchased from a family owned GE dealer, not a big box store, to get better service at the same price.

They are all junk.
I have heard that from the last three repair people that I have talked with.
I say that as I will have to be home between 12-3 today to await a repair person to deal with my six year old Whirlpool upright freezer that decided to shut down last week, resulting in its contents having to be hauled away by the city.
Come to find out there was a TSB on this freezer for this very issue. Would have been nice to let me know, so that it could be dealt with. Thought that was the advantage to "Registering" them upon purchase. Guess not.
However, in regard to washers/dryers, there is supposedly one model of Speed Queen that is still old school and is extremely durable. The newer models, not so much. The problem that I had with them (when I finally found one because the only dealers in my area are RTO places) was the capacity in them was so small (especially w/agitator) that it would take forever to do regular loads, let alone anything that required any capacity.
We ended up with a Maytag, and we are not crazy about it. The Maytag that we had before (went 23 years) and I would still be using it if the lower tub had not rusted out (and I could have found a replacement.) Went from always clean clothes, to sometimes clean clothes (if we are lucky on a given day.)
The three repair people all agreed on one brand (even the Bosch repair person who had to come out to repair my 30 day old Bosch dishwasher): Whirlpool. All three said that their recommendation was not based on them being exceptionally better, but that parts are readily accessible. I have to agree with that, because the repair person had the part for our freezer in less than 48 hours. With the current supply chain issues, I was amazed.
Probably the best road for you to follow is to buy the cheapest, simplest one that you can find, use it up, and move on. Higher end models don't buy you enhanced durability, just more costly electronics to replace.

The next washer / dryer I buy will be the simplest commercial series there is. Worked in a prison for 20+ yrs, that's all they bought as the washer / dyer's were used 16 hours a day, every day. They lasted a long time before repairs were needed and they were fixed at the prison. 99% of the time the dial timers went bad on the washers and the belts wore out on the dryers. Both simple fixes.

Back