How are Ge appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the all time best dryers made are the 29 inch Whirlpool built models with the lint trap on top. The basic design has been around over 50 years.

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9jJU4oJmAc and built under many names; Kenmore, Estate, Whirlpool, Roper, etc.

Unfortunately GE hasn't built decent appliances in long time. Last good dryer they made were the models with the D shaped opening, they were/are workhorses that would run trouble free for a long time.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Wasn't GE, Whirlpool and Kenmore all the same manufacturer?

Whirlpool made a lot of Kenmore appliances for Sears, but GE and Whirlpool are completely separate companies. Whirlpool bought Maytag about 10 years ago.

Kenmore is nothing more than a brand name. I remember when I bought a house I needed a new refrigerator and got one from Sears. It was Kenmore and had a label claiming that it had technology that won a certain manufacturer's prize that I remember Whirlpool won. GE certainly is not the same as Whirlpool.

Sears has pretty much bought from every major US appliance manufacturer at one time or another. At this point it wouldn't surprise me if some Kenmore appliances were made by Samsung or LG.

My Mom had a Whirlpool oven that is identical to my GE one. The only thing different is the logo. They share the same repair parts too.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Whirlpool made a lot of Kenmore appliances for Sears, but GE and Whirlpool are completely separate companies. Whirlpool bought Maytag about 10 years ago.

There are certain brands out there that are secondary labels for the parent company, but yeah - GE and Whirlpool are completely distinct companies. GE Appliances has Hotpoint though. At this time Whirlpool has Maytag, Jenn-Air, and Amana.

Actually Hotpoint is more complicated. It's a split brand name where different companies (GE Appliances and Whirlpool) have different marketing rights depending on location.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

There are certain brands out there that are secondary labels for the parent company, but yeah - GE and Whirlpool are completely distinct companies. GE Appliances has Hotpoint though. At this time Whirlpool has Maytag, Jenn-Air, and Amana.

Actually Hotpoint is more complicated. It's a split brand name where different companies (GE Appliances and Whirlpool) have different marketing rights depending on location.
Yes it was probably Hotpoint. It's been a few decades.......

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

Yes it was probably Hotpoint. It's been a few decades.......

Here's a list of Kenmore manufacturers' codes:

https://www.reliableparts.com/sections/kenmore-model-reference

They list Whirlpool, Amana, GE, Samsung, LG, Frigidaire, Hoover, Speed Queen, Bosch, Roper, KitchenAid, Panasonic, Haier, and several more obscure brands.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I bought a ge dryer I am supposed to be picking it up. It was kinda on a whim usually I do some research before purchasing . However now I'm second guessing. Growing up we had a ge stove that literally lived forever 30yrs or so. Our washer and dryer were always kenmore 70's series. They worked great I think they where whirlpool products. I remember always hearing whirlpool made the best appliances. I know things changed but couple years ago before getting divorced me and my ex wife bought an amana front loader set made by whirlpool and they were junk. Computer fried in both pump went out and 2 belts broke in 1 yr ended up being some problem with the drum causing that. So needless to say my more recent experience with whirlpool has been lack luster. I have a frigidaire refrigerator just a regular fridge and so far it's been fine almost 2 years old. How does ge and firigidaire compare to everyone else in the industry like whirlpool Bosch lg Samsung ect.

GE is good quality. No need for the top of the line GE appliances to get quality a dryer.

Over 40 years of home ownership, I have purchased Whirlpool, Maytag, Kitchenaid, GE, Amana, Thermador and Wolf appliances. All and all, currently I favor Whirlpool for value and Kitchenaid if you can afford to spend a little more. I have had repair issues only with GE microwave/hoods, an Amana bottom freezer and a Maytag top freezer.

Try to avoid the entry level model of any brand you choose. They generally have the cheapest features and components. When my 20 year old Whirlpool washer gives out, I'll be buying another of its mid-level models.

Brand names mean almost nothing these days. Every brand uses some cheap components. We have GE top of the line stuff in our house (came with the house) and every single one of them has needed repairs, the Maytag stuff isn't any better.

Definitely, definitely do your research. It really pays off. Buy based on real customer reviews not on brand.

We have an LG direct drive washing machine that is great, bought it based on customer reviews and the features we wanted. So far it has out lasted the "bulletproof" Maytag it replaced that destroyed it's plastic transmission after only a few years. The guy who came to look at it says almost everything he sees now lasts just out of warranty, then has a really expensive repair that most people opt not to do.

My parents left our old house with a 23 year old Whirlpool washing machine. The new Maytag machine lasted 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back