How are Ge appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a ge dryer I am supposed to be picking it up. It was kinda on a whim usually I do some research before purchasing . However now I'm second guessing. Growing up we had a ge stove that literally lived forever 30yrs or so. Our washer and dryer were always kenmore 70's series. They worked great I think they where whirlpool products. I remember always hearing whirlpool made the best appliances. I know things changed but couple years ago before getting divorced me and my ex wife bought an amana front loader set made by whirlpool and they were junk. Computer fried in both pump went out and 2 belts broke in 1 yr ended up being some problem with the drum causing that. So needless to say my more recent experience with whirlpool has been lack luster. I have a frigidaire refrigerator just a regular fridge and so far it's been fine almost 2 years old. How does ge and firigidaire compare to everyone else in the industry like whirlpool Bosch lg Samsung ect.

I was the Home Depot recently looking at washers and the sales person got running down the consolidation that's happened since the good old days. My take on it: the domestic machines of yore are made by 3 producers. After that there's the Koreans and Speed Queen which still stands alone.

Anybody else heard this sort of thing?

Personally Id never buy Amana regardless of who makes it..they are usually the cheapest most entry level item. I have had success with whirlpool. Have a fridge and stove that are 6 or 7 now, only issue was drain clogged in fridge causing ice buildup fixed it myself with a coat hanger..besides that I have Kitchen Aid dishwasher and Jenn Air fridge and stove now which only thing Ive done is change a temp sensor on one of the dials for glasstop. Easy fix. Ive been quite happy with whirlpool. Whirlpool makes every kitchen appliance noted above.

My folks have a GE fridge..so far no issues. I think GE is decent but personally, Id never buy a used appliance. Buy on sale and keep as long as possible is my mentality.

Last edited:
Our 1996 GE electric stove lasted 20 years before it got replaced by a Frigidaire glass top. The 1996 GE refrigerator is still running. You couldn't give me a GE microwave...mine puked after only 2 years. It was replaced by a commercial-grade Amana 6 years ago which I love. The washer is a Whirlpool top-load going on 8 years with no problems. I wouldn't have a front-load...but that's just me. The dryer is a *old* GE gas that we got from a church rummage sale for $25...still running after 7 years. YMMV.

Since I happen to work for an HVAC manufacturer I can tell you that "Made in USA" means little or nothing. The majority of the internal parts have been subcontracted to the lowest bidder in the cheapest country. They may stamp the outer sheet metal here, but most everything else is foreign sourced. That is not necessarily bad, but it does make it very hard to judge potential performance based solely on a brand name.

I generally buy Whirlpool products.
Every repair person that I have talked to states that they are about the best of the mainstream manufacturers and that parts are easily accessible. I like them because they are American owned. and they are the last of the American owned manufacturers.
Having said that,last year I bought a Bosch dishwasher because I got a deal on it. I don't understand the hype, have had two service calls on it. Never again.
My 23 year old Maytag washer died last month. I ended up buying another Maytag. Even though we are not displeased with it, I would have bought Speed Queen, if the closest dealer had not have been 50 miles away.
Ask yourself if you would buy a Haier dryer? If the answer is yes, you will be happy with your purchase. Haier now owns GE Appliances.

AFAIK all the new stuff except SQ is pretty much junk. I bought a Speed Queen set out of frustration with cheap junk and so far (new in January 2009) no problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Personally Id never buy Amana regardless of who makes it..they are usually the cheapest most entry level item. I have had success with whirlpool.

Whirlpool owns and manufactures Amana appliances. A few years ago when we toured the Amana factory, there were a number of brands being made on the same assembly line, and were virtually identical except for the logo on the door. Whirlpool and Amana are virtually the same product. The Whirlpool refrigerator we have at our lake home was made in that Amana plant. They manufacture all of the bottom-freezer refrigerators, built-in refrigerators, for the Whirlpool, Amana, Maytag, Jenn-Air and KitchenAid brands. If I remember correctly the washers and dryers are all manufactured in one of the Ohio plants.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
AFAIK all the new stuff except SQ is pretty much junk. I bought a Speed Queen set out of frustration with cheap junk and so far (new in January 2009) no problems.

Interesting. We have two households with non-Speed Queen appliances, and have never had a single issue with any of them.

Whirlpool is not great. Father has a lower end whirlpool and the thing just absolutely ruins everything you put in the freezer in days. Everything gets really hard and forms ice crystals all over, the texture and flavor are dead within 2 weeks even if it's sealed food. Never had an issue with something like that with any other brand.

Friend had GE based kitchen, all good stuff, nothing ever broke or had issues or stupid unintuitive buttons or anything of the sort.

published comments on speed queen

Speed Queen washers and dryers are a familiar sight in Laundromats, but they also tout "commercial quality" and "superior cleaning results" for homes&mdash:all for the princely price of $1,500 for the ADE41F electric dryer we tested. But dismal results in our latest roundup suggest those claims are hot air.

Poor drying performance sank the Speed Queen ADE41F to last place in our Ratings of 73 electric dryers. Even on its lowest setting, it overdried clothes in our tests, putting delicate fabrics at risk. The problem could be this model's lack of a moisture sensor, which helps dryers turn off more promptly when clothes are dry. While that's typical for the $300 to $500 machines clustered at the bottom of our Ratings, we expected more from the über-pricey Speed Queen.

And despite its name, the Speed Queen isn't exactly speedy: the ADE41F took more than two hours to dry 12 pounds of laundry, or about twice as long as most electric dryers. Nor do Speed Queen's issues appear to be limited to this one dryer. Over in our washer Ratings, a front-loader and top-loader from Speed Queen received some of the lowest overall scores of the more than 100 models

There's been a lot of turnover in the home appliance market. GM sold off Frigidaire a long time ago. Maytag got bought out by Whirlpool. Raytheon (invented the microwave oven) bought Amana to market consumer microwave ovens, but sold that off in the 90s.

GE has basically exited all of their consumer product manufacturing by selling off those divisions and licensing the use of the name. They sold off the consumer electronics 30 years ago when they bought back RCA and sold off both brands' consumer electronics to Thomson. The money they got from Haier is a drop in the bucket compared to what they make with high margin industrial equipment like aircraft engines, locomotives, power generation, medical equipment, etc. About all they have left in consumer products is lighting (most of which they don't even make these days), and who knows how long it takes before they sell that off?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Speed Queen is supposed to be the best

Don't know whats best, but wife sure likes her Speed Queen washer/dryer set.

It doesn't get much simpler than a dryer, all it has to do is spin the drum and blow hot air. I'm sure any you buy will be fine.

I think GE just sold their appliance division to Haier. I don't think any changes have been made yet so you're still buying legacy designed products.

I prefer Whirlpool, they're reliable, easy to repair and parts are cheap and plentiful.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
It doesn't get much simpler than a dryer, all it has to do is spin the drum and blow hot air. I'm sure any you buy will be fine.

I think GE just sold their appliance division to Haier. I don't think any changes have been made yet so you're still buying legacy designed products.

I prefer Whirlpool, they're reliable, easy to repair and parts are cheap and plentiful.

I've bought an electric dryer that didn't produce any heat and had it returned.

My laundry room doesn't have 220V. Unless I pay to have 220V installed, my only option is a gas dryer. However, gas is way cheaper to run than electric.

I bought the cheapest Inglis washer and dryer set from Best Buy about 12 years ago. They get the holy heck used out of them and have been flawless and do an awesomely job.

Who knows a moving target.

I read the scary reviews(during purchase) of my leader Frigidaire washer $390 picked due to dimensions and 1910 built stairs.(upstairs laundry)

Family of 5 it musters on after 6 years(daily use) with a rusted out door on bottom. (Made in Mexico)

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
what is Haier? Chinese

Yup. They actually have a pretty good reputation as far as Chinese manufacturers go. They're not Taiwanese with Chinese manufacturing like Foxconn, but actually from China. They went so far as to build several factories in the US.

The big thing that cemented their reputation in the US was wine refrigerators. Their quality is reasonably good compared to a lot of junk that's made in China with Chinese designs. They also work quickly, and can have a custom requirement from a retailer out in full production in a few weeks. The've specialized in compact appliances that are reasonably efficient. A lot of times your average compact refrigerator is horribly inefficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back