Major Home Appliances, Which Brands are Hot and Which are Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are all made in the same plants in Mexico anymore, pure junk no matter the major brand. I was told this by an actual Maytag repair man who invented a special tool (Tony tool) to fix the old Maytag machines. He said to buy a comercial/industial washer that laundry mats use or buy a cheap one with the least features and throw away when they break. Not worth fixing.

We have an HE LG top load without the center agitator. I constantly watch it wondering how on earth it gets anything clean. But it does. Every single time. No complaints.

We had a brand new Whirlpool Duet front load washer,cost about $600,worked well for about 2 years then after warranty was over,it became a money pit..pump broke $120 to replace,then 6 months later door seal failed $60.00 then a couple months later computer board failed.Decided at that point to quit throwing $$ at it. Bought a reconditioned old school top loading Roper washing machine for $160.00 delivered. Granted it is not energy saver and does not have a fancy computer and 50 different wash settings but it does the job we expect it to do..wash clothes.It is probably a 15 year old model as it has 2 turn knobs,cold warm and hot settings and normal, heavy and delicate wash options and honsestly that is more than enough.Clothes get cleaner too.IMO the fewer bells and whistles on an appliance the more reliable it is likely to be.

Originally Posted by Donald
Given that almost all laundrymats use front loaders, I think that is the way to go.

Big difference between a commercial-spec Maytag/Speed Queen/Dexter and a home-spec machines. I haven't seen the inside of a Dexter, but their documentation says there's an actual VFD within the machine that drives the motor and it's indirect drive.

I vote for Whirlpool. We got all new Whirlpool appliances back in July 2017 including washer and dryer and loving them all. We have the Whirlpool Cabrio washer and dryer, washer has no agitator but always does a good job washing our clothes.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
Don't know why people are ragging on top load washers. That agitator is what tears up the clothes. With a side loader, if you don't open it enough, you're going to get mold problems unless you use it a lot. They are also a heck of a lot easier to unload than a sider.

Cause the top loaders suck. Recently had to use one (SpeedQueen) while out camping at a laundrimat. Put in jeans and other stuff with mud. 1 detergent pod and 40 minutes later they came out, only slightly less muddy than they went in. Round 2 with 2 pods and they came clean. I often put muddy clothes in our front load LG and they come out clean the first time. We've avoided mold by leaving the door open after we're done using it. Seems to work as we've not had a mold problem.

Hummm.... thanks all for the replies. Looks like everything made now is [censored]. For reference, my wife doesn't like front loaders. I do. Guess who wins though?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by itguy08
Originally Posted by Schmoe
Don't know why people are ragging on top load washers. That agitator is what tears up the clothes. With a side loader, if you don't open it enough, you're going to get mold problems unless you use it a lot. They are also a heck of a lot easier to unload than a sider.

Cause the top loaders suck. Recently had to use one (SpeedQueen) while out camping at a laundrimat. Put in jeans and other stuff with mud. 1 detergent pod and 40 minutes later they came out, only slightly less muddy than they went in. Round 2 with 2 pods and they came clean. I often put muddy clothes in our front load LG and they come out clean the first time. We've avoided mold by leaving the door open after we're done using it. Seems to work as we've not had a mold problem.

New top loaders suck. The older ones with agitator work quite well.

LG and Samsung are generally good for washers and dryers. They seem to get great reviews for the front loaders. My parents love their LG frontloading pair.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Need to get a matched pair washer and dryer for the house we recently got. Looking for high efficiency low water use, top loader washer. Inclined to buy Whirlpool, since never had problem with their products in the past but as we know, manufacturer quality assurance can change over the years. Current set is a Whirlpool Duet Sport front loaders high efficiency, stacked, bought in 2008 and still going strong with zero problems. New ones will be set side-by-side, not stacked.

I understand Whirlpool owns Maytag and many of their parts are shared. Not crazy about Samsung and LG, no record of longevity like the traditional American stalwart brands.

I have the Whirlpool Duet Washer and Steam Gas Dryer for the past 10 years, and have never had a single issue with either. I had a Samsung Fridge / Freezer that was nothing but trouble. We finally got rid of it when the second icemaker took a dump at $380.00 a pop.

We purchased both a Whirlpool Fridge and dishwasher. Both have been excellent. The icemaker on the Whirlpool is the absolute best I've ever had. Makes plenty of ice quickly, and has a large bin. It also dispenses a large tumbler full of ice in seconds. The ice auger on the Samsung turned pathetically slow, and took forever to fill a glass with ice. I'm sold on Whirlpool appliances, and will never buy anything from Samsung again. Too many problems, not to mention parts and service are very expensive.

The only thing I did was to install a large in line water filter in place of the small, overpriced built in refrigerator water filters they all now come with. The unit will dispense water and ice without them, and the in line filters are larger, much cheaper, and last much longer.

We've decided on a matched set made by Maytag (Whirlpool), both energy star certified. Getting them in slate grey to look snazz in the new-to-us house. Top loader because she doesn't want a front loader.

Good move … our Maytag machines did a heap of clothes, jackets, bedding, towels this weekend … and there are three puppies adding to the loads …

One more comment as this thread fades … I'm going to miss Sears when it comes to appliances. I have six stainless Kenmore Elite machines … 12 years old and not one of them has seen a tech ~ all run like new. There was a time they knew what machine to buy and rebrand, had the leverage … and in smaller areas the outlets knew what to recommend. Lost that. Move on.
I have watched family members buy shiny SK (crooks) junk from the orange box and I'm not doing that. We have one small guy left who sells only Maytag/ Whirlpool and gives 10% off for cash … that's my guy for now …

Our Whirlpool Duet washer is 9 years old to the day. It has never given us an issue except for occasionally it will spin at a slower final spin speed for no apparent reason. Our clothes are always clean. Never have had an issue with buildup or mold. The door is always open when not in use. The key with front loaders is to use hot water washes frequently. Bed sheets, towels, rags, whites, socks and underwear all should be washed in higher temperatures to remove all soils and bacteria. I have used numerous HE top loaders and have always been left disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back