VW 508.00 Does it really matter?

So what is the base oil in this ESP 5-30??

1602799750794.png

Yeah, I would tell them same.
Cost of oil is cheap enough that consumers should probably use the 508 spec while their car is under warranty as VW has shown what they have done in the past to avoid coverage. Many of the HPFP problems had nothing to do with improper fuel and everything to do with pump design and lack of lubricity in the ULSD. Since rectified with redesigned pumps.

Cost of oil is cheap enough that consumers should probably use the 508 spec while their car is under warranty as VW has shown what they have done in the past to avoid coverage. Many of the HPFP problems had nothing to do with improper fuel and everything to do with pump design and lack of lubricity in the ULSD. Since rectified with redesigned pumps.
Ah, so now gas is ok?

Ah, so now gas is ok?
Gas is definitely not ok but the lesson here is that this manufacturer can and will exploit any reason to deny warranty coverage up to and including the use of non approved oils. Not sure if the Magnuson act would help you in this instance.

Gas is definitely not ok but the lesson here is that this manufacturer can and will exploit any reason to deny warranty coverage up to and including the use of non approved oils. Not sure if the Magnuson act would help you in this instance.
Well of course, I mean if customer used gas in diesel engine, again, I would send them home also.

I'm not a chemist. That's why I asked what the base oil is. These chemical names mean nothing to me. Thanks anyway.

@Loneryder48
Lol, neither am i but i did sleep at a Holiday-Inn last night.

There are 5 kinds of base oils: Group I, Group II, Group III, Group IV and Group V.
When folks mention "PAO", they are referring to Group IV base oils. The 1-Decene' you see in the first line of the MSDS is that, PAO. For quite a few traditionalist, this is what's considered "truly synthetic". What most north american "Full Synthetics" use is a combination of various base oils, with the predominant ingredient being Group III, or extremely refined (hydrotreated, hydrocracked) crude oil. In all honesty, Group III base oils have been refined and improved so much that the performance difference is very small for the average consumer.

One unofficial Group is Group III+. This is what many assign to Gas-to-liquid or GTL based motor oils. The most famous of which being Pennzoil Platinum with "Pure Plus"(GTL) technology. Although others us it too.

Here's a good, easy read...

Strictly speaking of the B-Cycle 2.0T here.
I keep reading that the "2.0T" in Europe uses 5W-30. I'm assuming you guys are talking about the GTi/GLi version and not what's in my Passat. I've yet to see where the exact B-cycle EA888 2.0T sold in North American Passat's is also sold overseas. The hp difference is one indication it isn't. I guess since the article i cite below is from Australia, it's sold there too. According to said article, here are other differences aside from hp.

20201017_012809.jpg

Last edited:
*Too late to edit above*

I did find that the euro passat also has a 5w30 recommendation but again, is this 2.0T the same as the US B-cycle which shows as having less hp.

A little food for thought on Volkswagen and warranties. With the advent of ULSD, Volkswagen was getting a bunch of high pressure fuel pumps that shelled themselves causing the need for almost a complete replacement of the entire fuel system. In some cases the cost exceeding $7k. Volkswagen did not like this expense and pulled fuel and oil samples on every warranty claim vehicle soon after, they were convinced that the consumer was accidentally putting gasoline into their diesel vehicles. If anything was untoward in this sampling they refused warranty coverage and told the customer tough luck, see you in court. Happened many times over. Just food for thought concerning oil specifications, warranty, dye and tracer chemicals and VW's track record..
Careful making statements about auto makers pulling an oil sample for a warranty claim. ;) Many people here swear that will never happen, but it can and it does sometimes when there's an engine failure or a costly warranty repair. I'm sure VW isn't the only company that does or has done that.

@Loneryder48

There are 5 kinds of base oils: Group I, Group II, Group III, Group IV and Group V.
When folks mention "PAO", they are referring to Group IV base oils. The 1-Decene' you see in the first line of the MSDS is that, PAO. For quite a few traditionalist, this is what's considered "truly synthetic". What most north american "Full Synthetics" use is a combination of various base oils, with the predominant ingredient being Group III, or extremely refined (hydrotreated, hydrocracked) crude oil. In all honesty, Group III base oils have been refined and improved so much that the performance difference is very small for the average consumer.

One unofficial Group is Group III+. This is what many assign to Gas-to-liquid or GTL based motor oils. The most famous of which being Pennzoil Platinum with "Pure Plus"(GTL) technology. Although others us it too.

Thank you for this. I have been trying to figure out what the hell PAO means.

Careful making statements about auto makers pulling an oil sample for a warranty claim. ;) Many people here swear that will never happen, but it can and it does sometimes when there's an engine failure or a costly warranty repair. I'm sure VW isn't the only company that does or has done that.
I'm just relating what was going on at the VW boards a few years back with a rash of HPFP failures and the lengths VW went to deny claims. I'm sure other manufacturers do it too. Why else mandate a dye and other tracers in a warranty specified motor oil unless VW possibly foresaw issues and wanted to get in front of any warranty claims. That's my word of caution. Otherwise I would not even care what folks used.

I'm just relating what was going on at the VW boards a few years back with a rash of HPFP failures and the lengths VW went to deny claims. I'm sure other manufacturers do it too. Why else mandate a dye and other tracers in a warranty specified motor oil unless VW possibly foresaw issues and wanted to get in front of any warranty claims. That's my word of caution. Otherwise I would not even care what folks used.
I agree with you. If you search the archives here many claim dealers check the dipstick, and if it's full they honor the claim, and go on to say things like it's that simple. I say not always. Many who stated they'll do oil analysis and deny claims were in for the fight of their life, getting called out for stating it. If a claim is big enough they can challenge it, and if they do the car will sit until it gets sorted out. Sometimes for a long time.

@Loneryder48

Thanks. I know the 4 groups. I just don't know the chemical names for PAO, Esters, and what Hydrotreated/hydrocracked are.

There's no "heavy 30" requirement in 504 00 - all it requires is a 0W-30 or 5W-30 with the corresponding KV100 minima and maxima, as well as a 3.5 cP minimum HTHS.

Why do so many people on this website seemingly want to educate people on things they already know?

I said "based on heavy 30 grade" simply trying to put the spec into layman's terms. Most of us know that the spec requires 3.5 HTHS but someone asking the question, or saying "508 and 504 are very similar" (paraphrasing) obviously does not, and probably doesn't know what HTHS is in the first place.

The easiest way to define it is to say one is based on ACEA C3 and the other on ACEA C5 - But again the chances the person asking the question knows what that means, is low.

Last edited:
Back