VW 508.00 Does it really matter?

Why do so many people on this website seemingly want to educate people on things they already know?
Because the assumption that it is something that everybody "already knows" is false. I simply try to put facts straight so that people can understand and make better-informed decisions. A lot of information gets stated as "fact" with no caveat. Your statement was not true - you could make a 504 00 oil at the light end of SAE 30 according to the specification, so it isn't "based on heavy 30 grade (almost 40 grade) ".

Why do so many people on this website seemingly want to educate people on things they already know?

It's helpful. You may not have noticed but some members who have been here for yrs and have thousands of posts ask newbie type questions quite often.

you could make a 504 00 oil at the light end of SAE 30 according to the specification, so it isn't "based on heavy 30 grade (almost 40 grade) ".

Come on man... Can you show me one?

In fact the previous 502 specification also required a 3.5 HTHS and the vast majority of them are 40 grades.

You are being pedantic. If you want to give a hyper specific response just say it is based on ACEA C3 and they can either ask more questions or look it up themselves.

Below is a distribution of KV100 for a sample of 23 VW504 oil spec sheets that I've collated over the past few years. Many manufacturer represented - Shell, Total, Elf, LM, Mannol, Mobil, Chevron etc. 20 of the oils have KV100 >= 11.6 so I think it's fair to say that they are at the heavier end of the permitted SAE range. Most ACEA C3 oils without VW504 approval e.g. those with LL04 or MB229.51 approval are in the same ballpark.

504.png

I am being pedantic - yes, because facts matter and too often opinions are passed off as (or inferred as) facts. There's a difference between "most 504 00 oils are heavy 30 grades" and "the 504 00 specification is based on heavy 30, nearly 40 grade". The first one is how the oil companies respond to the spec challenge. The second one implies you know the specification and its limits, and that these limits include a minimum viscosity that is higher that that of SAE 30.

For example - a little quirk of 504 00; it is based on ACEA C3 but has a specific sulfated ash limit in the spec itself - you might be surprised what that limit is.

VW uses high spec oils and with the dye I would use it, its tough to loose the long warranty on a new car to save a few bucks. JM2C
I have to agree with Trav. It is my intention to use 508.00/509.00 oils until my warranty is up. After that, I will likely transition to something else. Heck, I may choose a GF6 oil for the Tiguan. Perhaps something like a thick 5W20 or Pennzoil Platinum 5W30.

I am being pedantic - yes, because facts matter and too often opinions are passed off as (or inferred as) facts. There's a difference between "most 504 00 oils are heavy 30 grades" and "the 504 00 specification is based on heavy 30, nearly 40 grade". The first one is how the oil companies respond to the spec challenge. The second one implies you know the specification and its limits, and that these limits include a minimum viscosity that is higher that that of SAE 30.

For example - a little quirk of 504 00; it is based on ACEA C3 but has a specific sulfated ash limit in the spec itself - you might be surprised what that limit is.
It's 1.5. This is one instance where reading a PDS is helpful, if you're substituting something for 508 00 you should be aware of the SA for the oil - such as for Mobil 1 ESP.

It's what happens when technical decisionmaking is abdicated to other forces. VW isn't the only one, in fact they are one of the last.

Agreed!
We make changes with our $$$$ hopefully.
I avoided a few Toyota models for the same reason. Basically I did not like the extra hassle on an oil change when in reality
it was no big deal but enough for me to look elsewhere. I just didn't like the process and seen no reason for it.
As you said I can name other makers too. If you don't like it, don't accept it.

Here's a breakdown of Mobil1's nominal Phosphorus/Zinc levels per oil used.

Attachments

• mobil-1-product-guide-rev-31 (1).pdf
    122.8 KB · Views: 71
To me, this spec is a big deal. It typically includes Porsche C20. We have a thin oil that runs clean at the piston rings, and that is significant for long term useage.

It's 1.5. This is one instance where reading a PDS is helpful, if you're substituting something for 508 00 you should be aware of the SA for the oil - such as for Mobil 1 ESP.
So are you saying that Mobil 1 5w30 ESP is a good substitute for 508?

Correct - 1.5% maximum sulfated ash for a specification described as "low ash". However, 504 00 is always bundled with 507 00, which includes a DPF blocking test, which there's no chance that a full-SAPS oil will pass. Plus many 504 00/507 00 oils will also carry ACEA C3 and perhaps BMW LL04 and/or MB 229.51 which limit ash to 0.8% max.

Back