VW 508.00 Does it really matter?

It's 1.5. This is one instance where reading a PDS is helpful, if you're substituting something for 508 00 you should be aware of the SA for the oil - such as for Mobil 1 ESP.
I have never seen 504.00 oil with sulfated ash at 1.5.
There is no way oil would be DPF compatible. Regardless what VW put as limit, purpose of 504/507 oil is to be compatible with DPF. So, by that VW limits sulfated ash level.

For me it is the increased HTHS. Plus when it is on sale at NAPA the price is quite a bit lower than $7.13/qt.
As long as you are aware that there are potential consequences of warranty denial. While the chance is slim, the risk does exist.

Did a first oil change on my gf's new golf at 3000 miles. Ended up putting Castrol 0W20 synthetic and plan to change it every 3000 miles.

From what I've read in this thread, the VW508 has a special dye and designed for longer OCI. If I'm changing it every 3000 miles, does it even matter if I just use a normal 0w20?

Also, was planning on using OEM filter at 6000 miles in case she wants to bring it to the dealership for oil change at the 10,000 miles mark so she's able to maintain her warranty. I am curious, is there a way for them to tell that the oil that was used was not VW508? I'm sure the dye is only visible for new oil and not used oil... so in that regard, I don't think there is a way for them to tell?

Did a first oil change on my gf's new golf at 3000 miles. Ended up putting Castrol 0W20 synthetic and plan to change it every 3000 miles.

From what I've read in this thread, the VW508 has a special dye and designed for longer OCI. If I'm changing it every 3000 miles, does it even matter if I just use a normal 0w20?

Also, was planning on using OEM filter at 6000 miles in case she wants to bring it to the dealership for oil change at the 10,000 miles mark so she's able to maintain her warranty. I am curious, is there a way for them to tell that the oil that was used was not VW508? I'm sure the dye is only visible for new oil and not used oil... so in that regard, I don't think there is a way for them to tell?
The performance standard for 508.00 is significantly higher than SN+ or SP in a number of areas. Using a lower quality oil at shorter intervals does not resolve the issue. Take a look at the Lubrizol tool which compared the differences between the two specs:

1609189569233.png

Your focus on grade rather than approval is misguided.

Does it matter if you use regular 0W20? Yes it does.

Aside from the color it also has a vanadium tracer in it. If VW wants to know whether you have been using approved oil, they can find out.

3000 mile OCI is mega overkill.

^^^^ Yes they can tell and it could potentially bite you over a warranty claim. If you're going to use 0w20 anyway why on earth would you dump the VW 508 spec? If you can't find it your dealer will sell it over the counter for about 6 bucks a quart.

The only reason I could see for deviating would be if you weren't comfortable with the 0w20 and wanted to go with a thick more traditional Euro oil. But again you'd be doing it at some warranty risk.

If I had one of these it would get VW 508 at least until warranty is up, not that long really 50k I think.

VW changes their warranty every few years. About seven or eight years ago they dropped it to 3/36 even while calling for 40 grade oils... Imagine that.

I wouldn't read much into it.

VW used the long warranty as bait to get people back in the showrooms after diesel gate. I bought mine in late 2018 and the finance guy said sales were down about 33%. That's a lot.

I didn't figure it would last and it didn't. I'm sure they will SELL you an extension however. :rolleyes:

It simply isn’t that hard to find and use the correct oil- so why use an oil that lacks the OEM approval?

Last edited:
7 year warranty was just for 2 years to get folks back to the brand after Dieselgate - worked for me, I picked up 2 of them. Dropping that longer warranty isn't about their "faith" - not many companies provide long warranties like that b/c it's not a great business move for any auto company. VW replaced the extra 3 years with a 2 years of free service I believe (what amounts to oil changes).

.... VW replaced the extra 3 years with a 2 years of free service I believe (what amounts to oil changes).

You have to buy the "free service" ...

Edit, actually you might be right... I'm thinking of ours 2 years maintenance was about $210.00 .... not sure about 20 and 21...

Last edited:
I respect the 508/509 specification that seems to require higher percentage of pao base stocks. If wanted extremely high quality oil for vehicle requiring 0w20 oil-I would likely use this specification because of the high quality base stocks.

7 year warranty was just for 2 years to get folks back to the brand after Dieselgate - worked for me, I picked up 2 of them. Dropping that longer warranty isn't about their "faith" - not many companies provide long warranties like that b/c it's not a great business move for any auto company. VW replaced the extra 3 years with a 2 years of free service I believe (what amounts to oil changes).
Agreed about the warranty trying to lure people to buy for that period of time.

we got one as well almost 2. That’s a hard warranty to pass on

Back