VW 2.0FSI and Pennzoil Ultra 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't find a UOA on this, anyone have any experiences with Pennzoil Ultra European 5w40? Below is a quote from their data sheet

--
PENNZOIL ULTRA™ EURO 5W-40 FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL with Hyper Cleansing Technology™ is suitable for fuel-injected gasoline engines fitted with 'blow-by' recirculation and catalytic converters operating in extreme driving conditions; and also is suitable for turbo-charged and inter-cooled direct injection high performance diesel engines fitted with 'blow-by' recirculation and exhaust gas recirculation without particulate filters.
--

The literature makes me want to go out, buy it and kiss it!! I have the legendary UOA on here where I sheared down GC in my car to a low 30 weight in 1300 miles...so naturally I'm not too fond of GC right now...even though it probably isn't all its fault. As the 2.0FSI engine has a flat tappet cam follower, I believe I need high levels of Zinc?

Look at my post count...I'm really new to this but I'm learning!!

Any thoughts on this oil vs GC on shearing resistance and which one has lower volatility? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: vgliou
Couldn't find a UOA on this,

That's because this oil is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to find. Unless SOPUS does something about its general distribution/availability, it'll probably remain just on paper for the most of us.
frown.gif

A VW 2.0? I wouldn't put an expensive oil in it unless they have fixed the oil consumption problem.

Ah - my car doesn't burn a drop of oil...seriously, not a drop. It was driven hard originally (demo car) :)

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
A VW 2.0? I wouldn't put an expensive oil in it unless they have fixed the oil consumption problem.

I think you're confusing it with the old 8-valve 2.0. The OP has a 2.0FSI (turbo) - quite a bit different beast. This engine is very hard on oil... very few oils stand up to the torture.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

That's because this oil is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to find. Unless SOPUS does something about its general distribution/availability, it'll probably remain just on paper for the most of us.
frown.gif

Darn.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the new 2.0 TSI and I wish I had more confidence in traditional A3 oils, including GC. Not at all a fan of the Castrol 5w40.

I know it doesn't hold up to warranty, but I gotta wonder what the new T6, Rotella 5w40 would do in these engines. That oil is a beast in the new Turbo Charged Diesel engines from Ford to Dodge.....with long OCI's.

I would love to try this new Ultra if it could be found. I have 5w20 Ultra in my 4Runner right now and it is proving to be outstanding.

I just recently switched from GC to T6 in my 07 GTI. I am waiting to hear back about the GC that was in for 2K. I only have 150 on the T6, but power seems the same. Engine idles smoother, no increased turbo lag. It is too soon to check on oil consumption, but I will monitor that closely as well. I also noticed that it takes approx 5qts to top off my BPY powered car. The Bentley and owners manual says 4.4qts.

Will run the T6 for 2 OCI's(5K each)and load the results when they come back.

Is Ultra 5w-40 going to be available in the U.S. soon? Anybody know?

From the Pennzoil Ultra FAQ:

Quote:

8. Pennzoil Platinum® 0W20, 0W30 and 5W40 are available only online, when do you plan to have these grades in retail stores such as Pep Boys, AutoZone, Kragen, Wal-Mart?

These vis-grades across all motor oils have not been high in demand to justify Retailers having them on the shelf. We assure you we are working with our retail customers to make these vis-grades more available as we anticipate growing demand.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index....2&Itemid=80

frown.gif

Plus it only has been available two months, most likely to little time unless someone drives for a living to rack up the miles to do as UOA without wasting oil.

Actually, the Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 has been available for a number of years... right now they just re-badged it to Ultra Euro to signify that it's their top of the shelf oil, like the other Ultra grades.

Actually, the Pennzoil Euro 5w-40 has been available for a number of years... right now they just re-badged it to Ultra Euro to signify that it's their top of the shelf oil, like the other Ultra grades.

So the old Platinum Euro would look similar in chemistry to the new Ultra oils? or Would a VOA of Platinum Euro and Ultra Euro be the same as they just changed the name?

I asked Pennzoil and they told me European spec requirements of BMW (VW too) are met with Ultra. Since I work at a BMW dealer, I am telling customers they can use Pennzoil Ultra instead of the terribly expensive Castrol the dealer sells in liter bottles imported from Europe. Ultra is even available at Wal Mart at a great 5 qt price! I think Pennzoil has made a great move with this product in the US.

My question is, is their any advantage of using Ultra (instead of Valvoline Synpower or Mobil 1) in cars that don't need to meet the VW/BMW oil spec?

I think you're confusing it with the old 8-valve 2.0. The OP has a 2.0FSI (turbo) - quite a bit different beast. This engine is very hard on oil... very few oils stand up to the torture.

Our old 2.0L doesnt burn a single drop. Its been driven hard most of its life.

Originally Posted By: BGK
I asked Pennzoil and they told me European spec requirements of BMW (VW too) are met with Ultra. Since I work at a BMW dealer, I am telling customers they can use Pennzoil Ultra instead of the terribly expensive Castrol the dealer sells in liter bottles imported from Europe. Ultra is even available at Wal Mart at a great 5 qt price! I think Pennzoil has made a great move with this product in the US.

I do not think Pennzoil Ultra European 5w-30 or 5w-40 are available at Walamrt in 5-quart jugs. I wish though.

Originally Posted By: BGK
I asked Pennzoil and they told me European spec requirements of BMW (VW too) are met with Ultra.

Yes, but not with just any Ultra. Only with Ultra 5w-40. Good luck finding this grade of Ultra at Wal-Mart, or at any other local auto part store for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back