M1 0W40 FS (updated formula) vs PPE 5W40 (API SP)

Which one is likely to be easier on the cats?

M1 SN
M1 SP
PPE

I am running PPE and noticed a lot of soot coming out of the tailpipe after 5K

Last edited:
Which one is likely to be easier on the cats?

M1 SN
M1 SP
PPE

I am running PPE and noticed a lot of soot coming out of the tailpipe after 5K
Unless it is a 2 stroke I wouldn't worry about it. Unless the engine is burning a lot of oil you have a fuel issue not an oil issue, I see a lot of Euro cars with cats 20 years old and older that have used higher zinc/phosphorous oils their whole life that are well maintained and the cats are still fully functional.
The engine running rich can overheat the cat and destroy it regardless of the oil used. Running leaded fuel which is not applicable today would wipe a cat out in a few thousand miles if that.

Unless the engine is burning a lot of oil you have a fuel issue not an oil issue, I see a lot of Euro cars with cats 20 years old and older that have used higher zinc/phosphorous oils their whole life that are well maintained and the cats are still fully functional.
Thank you. Actually it did start consuming oil a short time before I noticed the soot on the garage floor behind the tail pipes.

Unless it is a 2 stroke I wouldn't worry about it. Unless the engine is burning a lot of oil you have a fuel issue not an oil issue, I see a lot of Euro cars with cats 20 years old and older that have used higher zinc/phosphorous oils their whole life that are well maintained and the cats are still fully functional.
The engine running rich can overheat the cat and destroy it regardless of the oil used. Running leaded fuel which is not applicable today would wipe a cat out in a few thousand miles if that.
ah, a bavarian here in bitog! can you please define a lot of oil? have some issues too.

The one time I saw an O2 sensor generating an efficiency code due to oil burning the car was using something in excess of 1 quart per 500 miles.
do you remember the code.? i have reasons..when i replaced the injectors ,as always there is an o2 sensor error, probably of bsc, injectors failing . i replaced them on dealership with a good will second time the same way.anyway the dealerhip mecahnic wanted me to take me a ride. wanted to replace the sensor. and lambda.i told him that i will go a long ride and the error light will turn off.just like the first time.and it did as i expected. but..

i have 400-500ml consumption per 600 miles. is it considered oil burning ?

do you remember the code.? i have reasons..when i replaced the injectors ,as always there is an o2 sensor error, probably of bsc, injectors failing . i replaced them on dealership with a good will second time the same way.anyway the dealerhip mecahnic wanted me to take me a ride. wanted to replace the sensor. and lambda.i told him that i will go a long ride and the error light will turn off.just like the first time.and it did as i expected. but..

i have 400-500ml consumption per 600 miles. is it considered oil burning ?
engine coolant temperature sensor (ECT) issue can flood the engine with gasoline and thinn out engine oil, also will mess with O2 sensor

Generally, 13.5 gives HTHS around 3.7-3.9. Motul X-Cess I have in BMW now has KV100 of 13.5 and HTHS of 3.8.
Castrol Edge 0W40 has KV100 13.1 and HTHS of 3.7.
Of 0W40, I would go with Castrol 0W40, although my favorite is still Castrol Edge 0W30.
Of 5W40 oils? Motul or Pennzoil. Pennzoil is 13.1 and HTHS is around 3.88.

I used Mobil1 0W40 extensively, but this HTHS is really poor.
I was looking around PDS on Castrol’s website and I saw that the latest API SP 5w40 a3 version had a higher KV100 of 13.5. Would that put Castrol in the 5w40 conversation?

I was looking around PDS on Castrol’s website and I saw that the latest API SP 5w40 a3 version had a higher KV100 of 13.5. Would that put Castrol in the 5w40 conversation?
I did not see new API SP version and just checked now. I mean, it looks like any other Group III. I would still go Motul or Pennzoil if 5W40 is a must.
Knowing Catsrol it is step below 0W30/40.

I did not see new API SP version and just checked now. I mean, it looks like any other Group III. I would still go Motul or Pennzoil if 5W40 is a must.
Knowing Catsrol it is step below 0W30/40.
Is there reason for concern due to the reduced flash point of PPE 5w40 if oil temps don't go above 250f and there's no oil consumption?
My UOA also confirmed this aspect of the formulation in an S55.

Is there reason for concern due to the reduced flash point of PPE 5w40 if oil temps don't go above 250f and there's no oil consumption?
My UOA also confirmed this aspect of the formulation in an S55.
Flashpoint is not an issue. Check which ASTM they are using. Castrol 0W40 had a lower flash point than Mobil1 0W40 but a different ASTM.
Also, oil temperature and flash point won't be correlated. I ran Mobil1 0W40 at 300f in my BMW.

What's the functional relevance of flash point. Afaik it's just a physical characteristic, like how density is also listed on pds. NOACK would be far more useful, and even then only up to a certain point with regards to oil consumption.

what matters is the quality of the oil and HTHS.

there are thinner oils with high HTHS ,NOACK close to 10 (guess) and flash point lower than others that are superior in quality. castrol 0-30 ll01 API SL i think, is one of them.or 0-40 as mentioned.

I'm just comparing Blackstone reports.
I did BMW TPT 0w30 and PPE 5w40 UOAs.
Anyway, I'll keep using PPE 5w40 since it's available for half price of Motul while on sale at Canadian Tire.

Back