VW 502 00 and API SN PLUS?

Yes, nice little engine. But "sleepy"
They do things weird on this engine. It has more punch in cruise control than
through the pedal. It seems all bets are off when it comes to boost control when
I engage cruise control. :p

Interesting. My GTI (with adaptive cruise control) is very smooth when engaging
and when setting a higher speed. Contrarily my Mini with a conventional cruise
control is quite vigorous when resuming CC from a lower speed or raising the set
speed. It appears to be more torquey but I bet it's just an illusion. Does it come
with Driver Profile Selection? If it doesn't retrofitting should be helpful. On my
GTI Driver Profile has noticeable effect on both acceleration and deceleration on
ACC.

Why would you go for VW 504 00 if running fixed intervals of around 8000km
(5000miles)? Should I be going with a 5W-30 weight compared to 5W-40?

As kschachn explained. I'll add that VW 504 00 (which generally comes along with
VW 507 00) has tougher requirements. My personal favourites are M1 ESP 5W-30
and Ravenol VMP 5W-30. Sadly Shell ZA doesn't list Helix Ultra Professional AV-L
0W-30 and Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30. Same as Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Euro LX
0W-30. All with VW 504 00 approvals of course. Ravenol VMP 5W-30 has a HTHS
of 3.7 mPas which is 0W-40 territory and unmatched for a 0/5W-30 with approvals.

View attachment 100161
Pretty much on top of that site. If it doesn't appear use the arrows on the right.

Hard to safely say if or how much it's better, however 'Ultra' promises a step up. 'Pure Plus
Technology' equals to using major content on GTL base oil along with an advanced additive
package. What's the difference in price in South Africa?

Yes, exactly. VST uses group 4 (PAO), perhaps with some group 5 (ester and/or AN) while
Helix Ultra uses mainly GTL (so-called group '3+') perhaps with some regular group 3. A
combination of group 4 & 5 is more expensive to produce but often but not necessarily
yields lower pourpoints, lower Noack numbers and/or higher flashpoints. For obvious
reasons all that rarely is or isn't required to achieve mentioned manufacturer approvals.
Again, what's your local difference in price?

Everything approved is perfectly suitable, appropriate, good enough. Btw, what's the sump
capacity, ~4 l? Are Mann filters available in SA?
Can only check current Helix Ultra prices in the morning. The HX8 is less than half that of the Ravenol VST. The Ultra will most likely be inbetween, but should be about 10-15% less than the Ravenol.

Yes, Mann filters available here. I only use those.

About 4L capacity. I get in about 3.7-3.8 on last measure.

Interesting. My GTI (with adaptive cruise control) is very smooth when engaging
and when setting a higher speed. Contrarily my Mini with a conventional cruise
control is quite vigorous when resuming CC from a lower speed or raising the set
speed. It appears to be more torquey but I bet it's just an illusion.

As kschachn explained. I'll add that VW 504 00 (which generally comes along with
VW 507 00) has tougher requirements. My personal favourites are M1 ESP 5W-30
and Ravenol VMP 5W-30. Sadly Shell ZA doesn't list Helix Ultra Professional AV-L
0W-30 and Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30. Same as Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Euro LX
0W-30. All with VW 504 00 approvals of course. Ravenol VMP 5W-30 has a HTHS
of 3.7 mPas which is 0W-40 territory and unmatched for a 0/5W-30 with approvals.
I used to run Mobil 1 in my old Audi. Then it was gone. Now there seems to be single place across country that has it.

So the thing with this 1.2tsi is this: get it up to 100km/h by pedal, engage cruise control then using the steering controls bump speed to say 120km/h and it will shove the seat into your back, but then disengage CC and back off to 100km/h and then mash the pedal to the floor and ... nothing. Engage CC again and it hits you in the back again.

I then tested on a local main road through my neighbourhood. Start at around 40-50km/h in 3rd and floor it and it's smooth accelleration. Boost reads out 0.7 bar. Then again at 40-50 in 3rd, engage CC, nothing happens for a second or 2 and then it starts to pull. When it gets up around 3500rpm it's like a mini bat outta hell. But then it starts reporting boost of just 0.2.

So finally back on this.
The price difference between the helix ultra and Ravenol VST was just about zero. The VMP was under $10 more.
So I went with the VMP 5W-30.

I then also picked up a $20 5L can of Wolf Vitaltech 5W-40 just as a flush oil to use with some Ravenol engine cleaner. This clean and flush is completely unnecessary, I know, but I'm doing it once and moving forward.

Now to find a Saturday/Sunday where I can get this done. There is nothing more annoying than 1) being a single car household, 2) being a single driver household, and 3) being the last person consulted on "planned" weekend events.

OP,
what is the fuel quality like in South Africa?
How much sulphur is in the fuel?

If you still have high-sulphur (low quality) fuel then I would go for a high SAPS (high SA%) oil that is ACEA A3/B4 and VW 502/505. The higher sulphate ash content, means more TBN (total base number) which neutralises the acid buildup from the sulphur.

If you have good quality, low sulphur fuel, then you can use a low/mid SAPS oil that is ACEA C2/C3 and VW 504/507.

I spent some time in Jo'burg years ago, things were a bit rough back then.

Last edited:
Looks like you have 10ppm or 50ppm sulphur levels, but maybe others too, depending on which fuel you buy.

2021 Link above "Regarding gasoline, the share of 50 ppm and 10 ppm is also expected to increase but as both sulfur limits are not officially regulated limits in the country, the market share of these low-sulfur fuels are not significant at the pump."

The 10ppm stuff is good, same as USA and Europe.
The 50ppm stuff is OK, similar to what I get here in Australia in premium high octane fuel.
We also get some very low quality 150 ppm stuff, I suspect you may get that too give the article above says South Africa has limited official regulations for petrol/gasoline.

Your opening post said VW 502 00, I would stick with that, it's high SAPS and works better with low quality fuels.

Last edited:
To be honest, I have no idea.
Who knows what the "guavament" regulates around here except their own profit margins.

The only thing advertised low sulphur content is the diesel fuels and that's still maybe 50ppm, but I don't think we're on the unregulated end for petrol.

So, yes, I opened with VW 502 00 against this new SN PLUS and have barrelled down the rabbit hole. :ROFLMAO:

So I just found some information for those upcoming government regulation changes for refineries and part of it wants them to produce EN 228 quality fuels. Got the manual and it explicitly states VW 504 00 requires EN 228.

I'll just pop in at Ravenol and swap out the VMP for the VST I wanted.
But thanks for all this info.
Gone in circles a bit, but I rather be pedantic about it all than wind up with other issues I can ill afford.

Anyway, off to do an oil change. Will run the Wolf 5W40 I picked up as a flush oil for the timebeing. Looks like it churned through another 500ml of oil in the last month.

Back