Vegas trip, Should i change the oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those highway miles go through places like Baker, CA though. They had to build a 100 foot tall thermometer because the 50 foot version kept exploding! :)

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
1) You are out of warranty.
2) You are using a good Syn.
3) You have a half qt. extra
4) You are going to drive all highway
5) The OLM IS calibrated for dino, and
6) You have 500 or so "extra' miles, anyway.

I would definitely not change it until I got back. I go 7500 on Syns. Any less would be a waste. Just do it later, no sweat!

+1

Originally Posted By: lemonade
Wow! thanks for all the input. My car is out of warranty,currently i have 5000 miles on the oil, and it says I look at the owner's manual, Honda doesn't state a different viscosity for my car, this raise another question: "it's fine to run 5W20 in near freezing and Vegas heat temperature?"
I am sorry, so many questions, very eager to learn from you guys.
^_^

Lemonade,

If you only have 5K on that PP you have now it's possible that you do slightly more short trips so the OLM might shorten your OCI schedule a tiny bit. I'll bet if you do that Vegas trip the computer may lengthen your OCI a bit to perhaps 6K. If I'm right you can take that PP farther than you expect it.

When I bought last year my 08' Impala SS my OLM indicated to do my first oil change at 6K. When I was close I decided to wait until the OLM indicated for me to do so. I took my SS for a nice long spin to Arizona and came back slightly over 6K and well with the OLM parameters.

Basically I can't say about your OLM but my Chevy's is based on driving habits and not necessarly mileage alone. Again your PP is capable of absorbing that trip to Vegas easily and I would do so cuz again synthetic is expensive.

Since you bought the O'Rielly synthetic already go ahead and give it a try. It just might surprise all of us. My personal preference would be to buy a brand name synthetic.

Mail Clerk

Originally Posted By: 3311
Chnage it now, you won't have any money after the trip.:)

That's not a problem, he won't have money for gas either.
13.gif

i usually change it when OLM gets to 20%. i always change it before a long trip. high speed driving and carrying a heavy load definitely is stressful for the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back