2023 Acura - First oil change timing?

Hi...I just bought a 2023 Acura RDX with a 2.0L Turbo engine that uses a recommended 0w-20 synthetic oil.

I am sure this has been discussed several times over the years. When should I do the First Oil Change...? Over the years I have read and heard it was appropriate to do the first oil change early - to remove any small metal particles that may have worn off the new engine.

I asked the dealer at the time of purchase and he said with the modern small turbo engines - no "early" oil change was necessary - just do it at the recommended 7,500 mile intervals and watch the Instrument Panel Maintenance Minder.

Like many, I prefer to change the oil and filter more regularly myself (5,000 miles to more to my liking) - to ensure optimum engine maintenance.

Your thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated...!

Hi...I just bought a 2023 Acura RDX with a 2.0L Turbo engine that uses a recommended 0w-20 synthetic oil.

I am sure this has been discussed several times over the years. When should I do the First Oil Change...? Over the years I have read and heard it was appropriate to do the first oil change early - to remove any small metal particles that may have worn off the new engine.

I asked the dealer at the time of purchase and he said with the modern small turbo engines - no "early" oil change was necessary - just do it at the recommended 7,500 mile intervals and watch the Instrument Panel Maintenance Minder.

Like many, I prefer to change the oil and filter more regularly myself (5,000 miles to more to my liking) - to ensure optimum engine maintenance.

Your thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated...!
You're going to receive a lot of subjective opinions based on anecdotal experiences. I don't see what you will gain by doing it sooner other than "felling good" about it. People who change early tend to be more diligent with regards to maintenance so their vehicle will likely run longer due to that additional diligence rather than the more frequent oil changes.

Last edited:
I do believe Honda recommends the standard OCI/FCI as the factory fill is rich with molly from the assembly lube.

Dealers will typically refuse to do it unless the MM is at or below 20% remaining.

In the last few years, I bought two new cars. I changed the oil in both around 1200-1500 miles, and then at 5K mile point and then 5K every since. I have done this type of schedule with every car I owned, and never burned oil or other related issues, and gone 100's of thousands of miles.

TLDR:
First oil change: 5k miles or less.

As a fellow honda engine owner (not my first not last) here is my advice.
NEVER trust the maintenance minder. Sometimes its 4k miles sometimes its 15k miles. Its all over the place, and probably inaccurate.
I have done 3 oil analysis on my 2.0 turbo so far, and even with higher weight oil, there is fuel dilution (2-3% which is bad) and I live in a warm climate where this shouldn't be as bad of an issue. Personally I switched to 5w30 because the 0w20 honda oil was down to like a 0w10 after a few thousand miles with bad fuel dilution.

I change my honda (and toyota) engine oil and filter ever 5k miles. Oil is cheap (M1 or Valvoline is like 25$ for 5qt and a filter is like 5$) engines are expensive.
Transmission fluid changes every 30k miles.
Check your intake filter regularly, the turbo sucks in a lot more air than an NA motor, and thus more debris.
Keep an eye on coolant.
Honda's are also notorious for brake warping. Keep an eye on your brakes and brake fluid (never had to do this with a toyota).
And finally, tires, keep your honda aligned properly.

I would argue with turbo engines you should change the oil MORE frequently. The oil going to the turbo comes in cool and comes out super hot (like multiple times hotter than at the engine), and its part of the cooling process as well as coolant. Unless you grandma drive in eco mode permanently, this is a high strung racing motor detuned with a smaller turbo from the civic type R. And this is actually worse for wear, since the engine makes MORE torque at lower RPM (1500-3500) vs the Civic Type R where the motor is actually making less torque than the acura/honda at 1500-2500 RPM and the peak torque is up high. This puts massive strain on the con rods and pistons down low and actually generates more heat, more often, without reving out the engine.

Last edited:
When the OLM tells me I'll take it into the dealer for the complimentary maintenance that was included with the car. I'm currently at 50%, it appears to take time into consideration.

When the OLM tells me I'll take it into the dealer for the complimentary maintenance that was included with the car. I'm currently at 50%, it appears to take time into consideration.
According to honda, it considers "everything", which they say includes how you drive, temperatures, and time, RPM, etc.

I THINK (my opinion) is it measures crank revolutions total. I drive my cars harder than most...and MM is at 70% oil life at 4.5k miles. Doing the math that is 15k miles...which isn't unheard of...

But both times when I bought my honda's from the honda dealer, they asked if I changed my oil every 4k miles, because they would give more money if I did. I couldn't prove I did, I change every 5-6 normally. I don't know why they asked me this, because 4k miles is a bit much IMO, but apparentely that is something honda dealers ask (because this was two different dealers in two different states).

This is all guessing...But I won't trust the MM unless one day it tells me to change my oil BEFORE my normal OCI.

I do believe Honda recommends the standard OCI/FCI as the factory fill is rich with molly from the assembly lube.

Dealers will typically refuse to do it unless the MM is at or below 20% remaining.
So do you believe the special 'factory fill" is in my 2023 Acura RDX...? How do I find out...?

Q: My Honda is equipped with Break-in Oil, should I change it early?

A: No. To ensure the proper engine break-in, the factory-fill oil needs to remain in the engine until your first maintenance interval. The only difference between the factory fill oil and the Honda replacement oil is the Molybdenum lubricant that is applied to specific engine components.

I have this engine in my 2020 RDX, its a fuel diluter per multiple oil analysis, and you should consider changing your oil 3-4k miles and use x-30, which btw will drop in viscosity to look like Xw-20.

I am curious about this. I'd like to learn more about this and learn it for myself. Can you provide a link or two that can support this assertion?

Back