2023 Acura - First oil change timing?

I would bet that the UOAs done at 2,000 miles show a similar level of fuel dilution as the UOAs done at 10,000 miles
Very likely true. I saw similar fuel dilution at 7k miles and at 4k. My strategy is to use one grade higher oil to compensate for fuel dilution and change oil every 4-5k miles

I found that site and information yesterday. The information doesn't fully satisfy me because it does not fully address my internal questions and curiosity, but it is nonetheless helpful and has given me some ideas for further searching.

As a response to my direct question to you, is that all you have to share? Is that the source of the information you used to make your initial assertion? I've seen that source referenced elsewhere, and even a couple of times in this thread.

It's actually the ridgeline owners club (roc)

It's there if you follow Zroger73 (the site admin) you'll find it.
He has been quite close to the factory reps and I got into this when I bought my ridgeline in 2017, but its a common question.
You'll find everything I mentioned and more.

I'd help you look this all up if I werent traveling but if I get some spare time maybe I'll go back and find the exact threads.

You can come to whatever conclusion you'd like, but as a Honda owners and serial filter cutter and oil changer I already went down this road.

Last edited:
Dump it and the filter at 5k miles. I would keep doing 5k oil and filter changes for the first 20k. Then still 5k but 10k on the filter till whenever. By the way, Congrats!

Last edited:
Q: My Honda is equipped with Break-in Oil, should I change it early?

A: No. To ensure the proper engine break-in, the factory-fill oil needs to remain in the engine until your first maintenance interval. The only difference between the factory fill oil and the Honda replacement oil is the Molybdenum lubricant that is applied to specific engine components.

What is proper break in? There are people that think syn oil will not allow proper break in.

The question I need to ask is how long do you keep your vehicles? Why because some keep their vehicles till the wheels fall off, some trade in every few years and some live where the chassis and body rust away before the engine and trans fail.

Last edited:
Hi...I just bought a 2023 Acura RDX with a 2.0L Turbo engine that uses a recommended 0w-20 synthetic oil.

I am sure this has been discussed several times over the years. When should I do the First Oil Change...? Over the years I have read and heard it was appropriate to do the first oil change early - to remove any small metal particles that may have worn off the new engine.

I asked the dealer at the time of purchase and he said with the modern small turbo engines - no "early" oil change was necessary - just do it at the recommended 7,500 mile intervals and watch the Instrument Panel Maintenance Minder.

Like many, I prefer to change the oil and filter more regularly myself (5,000 miles to more to my liking) - to ensure optimum engine maintenance.

Your thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated...!
Why not follow your owners book.....They should know when to do it....

0w-20 every 5k, fuel dilution is this forum’s pet cause but hasn’t been shown to have any harm on wear metals or reliability that they can ever show. The fact that the oil thins down doesn’t seem to make any difference, and I trust Honda’s brains over the conspiracies I’ve heard parroted here

0w-20 every 5k, fuel dilution is this forum’s pet cause but hasn’t been shown to have any harm on wear metals or reliability that they can ever show. The fact that the oil thins down doesn’t seem to make any difference, and I trust Honda’s brains over the conspiracies I’ve heard parroted here

When I had my 0w-20 mobil1 EP for a full MID cycle (around 7k miles), the TBN was low 2.

I now change my oil half cycle through what car tells me (50% and 0%)

When I had my 0w-20 mobil1 EP for a full MID cycle (around 7k miles), the TBN was low 2.

I now change my oil half cycle through what car tells me (50% and 0%)
I just do every 5k as a habit and I like having fresh oil. Never got involved with testing for viscosity etc because I trust Honda engineers know what they are doing. They have designed more engines than anyone on this forum claiming to know better. I tested my Miata for a while because it had a rebuilt engine with aftermarket components including an aftermarket pump, pistons, rings, bearings, all with custom clearances. Regular production cars that are produced by the hundreds of thousands are designed with decent margins for error knowing that there will be someone who neglects the car, so if you’re even remotely good about maintenance, you should make it to 200k miles easy. Hell I ran my Prius to 200k stretching the intervals past 10k at times using M1, cartridge filters, sold the car to my wife’s uncle who has it up to 220k now.

These mainstream appliances don’t care

I’m
I trust Honda engineers know what they are doing

Honda engineers want you to change your oil when computer tells you to do so. I did not like that my TBN was low and viscosity dropped from 8.8 to 6.2, hence for my particular driving style - more frequent oil changes & higher viscosity to compensate drop in viscosity. If my viscosity stayed above 7, I would continue with 0w-20, I have nothing against it. My wear metals were also kind of high with 0w-20, so not sure if it was due to viscosity drop ( 5% fuel). I trust the engineers, but also trust & verify.

i dump factory fill the first day i bring my brand new vehicle home. so for my 4Runner that was at about 76 miles.

then again at 500 miles. then at 2,000 miles. the last was at 5,000 miles.

is this necessary? probably not... do i care what others think about my OCD?? No!

"bUt yOu'rE wAsTinG mOneY" they'll say. i don't care about that.

this is bitog and we're all obsessed w oil unlike 99% of normies who will leave the factory fill to 10,000 and then skip one or two oci.

i say do what makes you feel the warm fuzzies and let's you sleep good at night.

enjoy your new ride! 🤝

***now i'm going to change at 10,000 mile intervals because i'm running HPL.

As far as I know, all cars have oil filters install at the factory, when the vehicle is built. Based on that, I don't get to concerned with dropping the factory fill since it's probably good oil. The wife's Highlander went the whole 10,000 miles on Toyota's factory fill and every 10,000 miles since then until we got into Covid times and I reduced it to every year or so. Currently at 135,000 miles.

Back