Valvoline Restore & Protect

So, it looks like I did not find the right patents for this product. But the two patent applications that I did find (both titled "Lubricant for preventing and removing carbon deposits in internal combustion engines") prove that Valvoline has been doing R&D and filing for patents in this area for over a decade, so this is not a hoax thought up by the marketing department as some on this board appear to suspect. Also, LSJR's video showed that they have a pretty impressive test lab. So it appears to me that they have put effort into the science, modeling, experiments, testing, and patenting, and are proud about what they have come up with. How well it works in the real world is yet to be seen, as they admitted in LSJR's video.

Also let's admit that they're marketing department is doing an excellent job. Their parents company Aramco is loaded with $ and it seems like they are making positive changes.
Formula 1 Monaco was yesterday and their ads were all over the circuit.

And as a side note, why even bother with 4 OCIs? Why not a couple of longer runs but then change the filter halfway through each. Wouldn’t that achieve the same thing?
I think they want people to use the R&P just like a normal oil with a normal oil change interval to make it easy. It's a relatively slow clean, so they suggest 4 OCIs to get the full results on dirty engines. If the engine is not very dirty, it might only take one or two OCIs. They most likely would not suggest a longer than normal OCI due to the possible oil filter loading factor.

So, it looks like I did not find the right patents for this product. But the two patent applications that I did find (both titled "Lubricant for preventing and removing carbon deposits in internal combustion engines") prove that Valvoline has been doing R&D and filing for patents in this area for over a decade, so this is not a hoax thought up by the marketing department as some on this board appear to suspect. Also, LSJR's video showed that they have a pretty impressive test lab. So it appears to me that they have put effort into the science, modeling, experiments, testing, and patenting, and are proud about what they have come up with. How well it works in the real world is yet to be seen, as they admitted in LSJR's video.
While I agree with you, the Restore product those patents are for was developed in conjunction with Cummins to specifically deal with a problem they were having with the ISX engine: ring coking. It was a purpose-built lube not designed for broad market appeal or consumption. Ergo, it was not marketed to Joe Average and his poorly maintained Scion XB, nor was their a price point target set to align with that.

There is absolutely an obvious marketing angle to this product that, whether you like @cheesepuffs2's take on the matter or not, is well evidenced by the stuff he has posted. This does NOT mean that the product doesn't work! But it does mean that there is "more going on" here with R&P than there was with Premium Blue Restore.

And for those crowing about Mobil getting a free pass on marketing, the Engineering Explained video when it was first shared, Mobil was crucified for this "marketing exercise" and all manner of hyperbole was spun and aspersions cast about both Mobil and the guy from EE who dared participate in this "promotion".

Advertising stuff always gets crucified on here, no brand is immune, regardless of how the jaded may feel on this.

Probably the most ridiculous spectacle I remember was the fawning over PYB being some sort of super cleaner, a myth plucked from the ether, seemingly without parent, and spread like a virus.

While I agree with you, the Restore product those patents are for was developed in conjunction with Cummins to specifically deal with a problem they were having with the ISX engine: ring coking. It was a purpose-built lube not designed for broad market appeal or consumption. Ergo, it was not marketed to Joe Average and his poorly maintained Scion XB, nor was their a price point target set to align with that.

There is absolutely an obvious marketing angle to this product that, whether you like @cheesepuffs2's take on the matter or not, is well evidenced by the stuff he has posted. This does NOT mean that the product doesn't work! But it does mean that there is "more going on" here with R&P than there was with Premium Blue Restore.

And for those crowing about Mobil getting a free pass on marketing, the Engineering Explained video when it was first shared, Mobil was crucified for this "marketing exercise" and all manner of hyperbole was spun and aspersions cast about both Mobil and the guy from EE who dared participate in this "promotion".

Advertising stuff always gets crucified on here, no brand is immune, regardless of how the jaded may feel on this.

Probably the most ridiculous spectacle I remember was the fawning over PYB being some sort of super cleaner, a myth plucked from the ether, seemingly without parent, and spread like a virus.
Cheese puffs take is not about marketing - he’s basically saying it’s a con job whilst knowing nothing about it - nor LSJ intentions …

And you got to think about the 4 OCIs to work. Like they said they do not want to overload the filters and send them into bypass. This is a mass market product.
This is on the Valvoline website FAQs about R&P. This makes it sound like you wouldn't see big chunks of deposits in the oil filter, but the deposits cleaned away could still be large enough for an efficient filter to catch, so the filter should not be used longer than on a normal OCI.

1716836737529.jpg

Cheese puffs take is not about marketing - he’s basically saying it’s a con job whilst knowing nothing about it - nor LSJ intentions …
I'm just specifically referring to his screenshots that show a concerted and well planned marketing effort (which there is nothing wrong with).

It doesn't appear that Valvoline has filed any patents pertaining to their mysterious wunder molecule.

A seemingly positive note on this is that Valvoline appears to have spent and are spending on R&D and not a fortune on expensive Television commericals. Now can anyone answer: Did the Valvoline company sell out entirely or sell part of their business in the last
couple of years? I heard they did but only saw something about a type of business re-organization that could mean just about anything,

A seemingly positive note on this is that Valvoline appears to have spent and are spending on R&D and not a fortune on expensive Television commericals. Now can anyone answer: Did the Valvoline company sell out entirely or sell part of their business in the last
couple of years? I heard they did but only saw something about a type of business re-organization that could mean just about anything,

I posted Valvoline's own marketing campaign material earlier and it was taken down, but Valvoline has been utilizing many sponsored influencers to market R&P through digital means, which is the way advertising is trending in recent years (away from television commercials and more specifically targeting demographics through digital/social platforms).

Valvoline Instant Oil Change is still USA based, but Valvoline the blender is now owned by Saudi Aramco.

Thanks for a rational thinking post. Much appreciated. If brand xyz says it can clean people believe it, if brand ytq says it can clean, it's marketing. Ok. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
interesting BUT as usual over my head!! back in the early 70's i used ONLY conventional valvoline 10-30 in my oil burning junk 307 chev nova BUT when tearing down for a rebuild at 70 thou the engine was SPOTLESS inside!! prolly 3 thou OCI as i worked locally with much sort driving. on another note an engine brought into my friends shop i used to hang + help out. tore that chevy small block down for a HOT TANK bath + FILLED a lb coffee can with SLUDGE!!! not knowing the owner i said, you use pennzoil, he said how did you know!! had no idea of the engine upkeep or lack there of!!!

(y)

One thing about LSJ I have to say is he never seems to prefer a single brand. He's pretty objective and not a brand guy. He also worked for Driven so if he thinks their lab/facility is impressive, I believe him.

Last edited:
It doesn't appear that Valvoline has filed any patents pertaining to their mysterious wunder molecule.

Two possibilities:
  1. They may have filed it under a different corporate identity such as a subsidiary or their parent company.
  2. They may have decided to protect is as a trade secret, thereby avoiding telling their competitors exactly what it is. Or they may want to protect it for more than 20 years. Or they may want to protect it from competitors in areas of the world where patent protection is not very strong. Or all of these.

Two possibilities:
  1. They may have filed it under a different corporate identity such as a subsidiary or their parent company.
  2. They may have decided to protect is as a trade secret, thereby avoiding telling their competitors exactly what it is. Or they may want to protect it for more than 20 years. Or they may want to protect it from competitors in areas of the world where patent protection is not very strong. Or all of these.
What if it’s called “lubricant composition containing ashless TBN molecules” - 2 for Valvoline (2022 & 2023) and one of the names is Indian

Last edited:
Back