Valvoline Restore & Protect

Based on what information?

Sure, but have you found a patent for a novel chemical that would indicate that this compound isn't one that has previously existed or been used?

In an engine run on M1 EP 0W-20 its entire life?

Per our previous discussion about the massive cleaning done by AN's on that belt covered in varnish (which was totally unexpected) in an industrial application, my position is that while esters can be used to clean, as Restore demonstrated, AN's are also capable of the same. This is because they have very high solvency. They do NOT however, have high polarity, so you don't have the issue with surface competition that you do with esters (see: Redline).

I'm sure Dave and company at @High Performance Lubricants have torn down hundreds of engines in their race and fleet testing programs. Maybe they have some before/after piston pictures?
If one oil could clean I would say it's HPL. I think HPL and maybe Amsoil SS can clean very well. But again, we don't know because they're not doing this test. They're not running a modified IIIH test to validate. We're just seeing people's filters which is not really conclusive of anything.

This is what most of the industry considers "cleaning" This same oil can not clean piston deposits though.

1716820359612.jpg

Your posts are a joke. Stop trolling with b/s.
It's a joke that you think the LSJ video of the engine lab wasn't completely planned and curated by Valvoline. LSJ benefits by getting content for his channel (being a Youtuber with hundreds of thousands of views is a business) and Valvoline gets to push their narrative.

Their goal is to take your money, plain and simple. The fact that the claim of them being the "only oil company with a lab like this" is a recurring theme in their marketing tells me all I need to know.

He doesn't believe they're using AN's. Also the fact that it appears they synthesized some ingredient in a lab in India suggests it's not AN to me.
I was thinking they might have put together some AN-containing compound as an additive, just due to the high solvency and high levels of stability. The problem with lower group bases and other high solvency products is that they tend to have low stability and high volatility, AN's are kind of the opposite in that respect, though I fully admit to not being a chemist, so perhaps there are other options available that have not typically been used in engine oil (see our previous discussion about Mobil's use of something from their cosmetics arm in their race program).

As one would expect, the SDS doesn't tell us much other than they are using GTL:
Screen Shot 2024-05-27 at 10.34.53 AM.jpg

I was thinking they might have put together some AN-containing compound as an additive, just due to the high solvency and high levels of stability. The problem with lower group bases and other high solvency products is that they tend to have low stability and high volatility, AN's are kind of the opposite in that respect, though I fully admit to not being a chemist, so perhaps there are other options available that have not typically been used in engine oil (see our previous discussion about Mobil's use of something from their cosmetics arm in their race program).

As one would expect, the SDS doesn't tell us much other than they are using GTL:
View attachment 221557
I mean it could be? I have no idea. He thinks it's some type of a chemistry synthesized from napthenics. 🤷‍♂️

Just pure speculation though let me be clear about all this lol.

It's a joke that you think the LSJ video of the engine lab wasn't completely planned and curated by Valvoline. LSJ benefits by getting content for his channel (being a Youtuber with hundreds of thousands of views is a business) and Valvoline gets to push their narrative.

Their goal is to take your money, plain and simple. The fact that the claim of them being the "only oil company with a lab like this" is a recurring theme in their marketing tells me all I need to know.
Which is nothing

Of course it was planned. Do you think he just showed up and knocked on the door? Do you think Valvoline and others are not trying to make money? Are they a nonprofit company just making oil to sell for free? Wow. You're really dumbing down this site to very low IQ levels.

Of course it was planned. Do you think he just showed up and knocked on the door? Do you think Valvoline and others are not trying to make money? Wow. You're really dumbing down this site to very low IQ levels.
I find it very interesting that this forum prides itself on being data driven, yet the second we're subjected to some slick advertising, that all goes out the window and suddenly we're believers just because they said so.

I find it very interesting that this forum prides itself on being data driven, yet the second we're subjected to some slick advertising, that all goes out the window and suddenly we're believers just because they said so.
You're never going to get the exact formulation. That's why they state its proprietary information. The world of BITOG is mostly speculation let's face it. The only hard cold facts are specifications these products meet. Beyond that we're all just playing backyard chemist guessing. That is a fact.

The fact that Valvoline explained the process, capability and what they found in their testing using a modified IIIH is information. If you don't want to believe it, don't. Don't use it. It's as simple as that.

I never cared much for the Valvoline brand and am not even using this oil, but I'll give credit when credit is due. I think they've done more than most others when trying to explain the marketing behind their product.

I also have no idea if HPL and Amsoil SS could do the same. I'm going to say HPL could likely very well clean as well as this R&P oil due to it's AN/POE base.

Last edited:

Isn't the goal of every business "to take your money?" Some companies might be a little more ethical than others, but at the end of the day it's your money they're after, every single one of them. Highly respected here or not.

The only thing I’m curious about is why they say 4 OCIs without giving an actual mileage? Are they assuming everyone is going to do 3000 mile intervals? 5000 miles? They must have a rough estimate of how many miles it would take to clean.

And as a side note, why even bother with 4 OCIs? Why not a couple of longer runs but then change the filter halfway through each. Wouldn’t that achieve the same thing?
I have a 5.3L bought new and most of the miles were on Mobil 1 AP - a 70% PAO lube that claimed some advanced antioxidants … We know it didn’t sell - I got it so cheap that I never ran it past the OLM
But being GDI - I was concerned of some CBU on pistons - so from 85k-90k I ran 25% HPL EC30. The filter had no carbon - oil was not even dark.
So now I’m doing the first of two R&P runs …
Assuming the next two filters look good - going back to M1 …
(I don’t see the need for 4 runs of R&P) …

looks like Valvoline maybe on to something ,instead of negative views, it very well maybe what is claimed by Valvoline as they are a reputable company, and of course time will tell, and see what positive results happen.
From their Youtube video, seems like any other synthetic oils only slow the rate of deposit to a very low level, but R & P can dissolve and remove deposit. That means if someone using R&P from day 1 in a new car, the engine will look brand new. (apart from piston)
Exciting if it's true.

From their Youtube video, seems like any other synthetic oils only slow the rate of deposit to a very low level, but R & P can dissolve and remove deposit. That means if someone using R&P from day 1 in a new car, the engine will look brand new. (apart from piston)
Exciting if it's true.
Right. The original Restore & Protect was loaded with ester, which is more of a one and done type of deal. You have to be mindful of the filter loading up when using an oil like that. It's more of a clean/flush product. The new R&P is a slow controlled deep clean that dissolves piston deposits.

Exciting if it's true.
So because Valvoline insinuated it, other synthetics can't remove deposits? HPL doesn't remove deposits?

That is the goal of ALL companies. They want to make money off of you. Your bias against Valvoline is embarrassing. Get off of your high horse and give it a rest. Clearly nobody cares about your opinion. Troll.

Back