Valve cover off-2002 Honda CR-V 140,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Behold my 2002 Honda CR-V. The first new car my wife and I purchased, we bought it anticipating family additions ahead. Since my car was in the poorest condition at the time (94 Probe SE), we traded it. I drove the V daily for 9 months as my highway commuter, wracking up 30,000+ miles in that short time. For that entire period, I used M1 5W30 Synth, as I couldn't really find 20 weights in stock in my neighborhood parts stores. Changes were every 5k, which went by fast.

After turning it over to my pregnant wife (she was having trouble getting out of her Eclipse, lol), it served her for the next 6 years as a daily driver. Initially, mileage ticked by slowly, as she was in med school and residency for much of that time. Then, from 2007 on, she went into private practice and began to log up to 100 miles a day on days she had to round at several hospitals. In 2009 we traded off my SAAB 9-5 on a new Honda Odyssey and the V became my car again for a few months and then a third car for our sitter to pick up the kids from school and get them to various activities.

My fastidiousness about OCI dropped during that time, as my focus went to my SAAB's sludge issues. The V went many years with twice annual oil changes. At first, with synth. Then...not... I got to the point where I just dumped whatever I had in the stash in. Often a mix of 30 weight dinos of vintage SJ thru SM with maybe some SLOB or auto-rx. Occasionally a 40 weight thrown in. So..in summary, this engine has seen it all. I was fooling around with it other night and decided to take a peak after all these years. Not too shabby for such lackadaisical care...

top.jpg

side.jpg

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
That is is beautiful for the kind of mix's you put in toward the end. This is a very good engine and really appreciate the pics!

But not technically "the end." She's running fine, minus low mpg, and bodywise everything is pretty clean. So I've no reason to trade her off yet.

Lots of miles remain in this engine and this vehicle. Perhaps we can stretch out to a 7,500 mile OCI or longer, supported by a UOA or two.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
Lots of miles remain in this engine and this vehicle. Perhaps we can stretch out to a 7,500 mile OCI or longer, supported by a UOA or two.

I still have so much stash oil that I just change it out of boredom. I think it's only averaged about 5k a year since 2009. It's a treat to open up a 5 pack of Valvoline and get a Hotwheels from that new movie "Cars" that's coming out soon...I bet it will be a hit!

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Very clean engine there.
thumbsup2.gif

What part of La. are you in? Avoyelles parish here.
smile.gif

Thanks! I'm up in Shreveport. From Natchitoches originally.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
It's a treat to open up a 5 pack of Valvoline and get a Hotwheels from that new movie "Cars" that's coming out soon...I bet it will be a hit!

LOL. I bet your're right! That movie could be big-might even generate a sequel, who knows?
laugh.gif

Very clean engine there.
thumbsup2.gif

smile.gif

I'm very familiar with Shreveport. For awhile there I was driving to LSU Shreveport hospital, the ACC Clinic, and the Retinal Clinic every week. Now it's about every other week. 178 miles one way.
smile.gif

Wow. Very nice and thanks for sharing. Did you ever have the valves adjusted? Does it burn any oil between OCI? Have you changed the pcv?

Relating to your poor-ish mpg-have you tried new plugs, checked the coils, drain and refilled the trans fluid, checked the tires?

I agree it will give you many more years of dependable service, maybe your first born can learn to drive on it?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: k24a4
Wow. Very nice and thanks for sharing. Did you ever have the valves adjusted? Does it burn any oil between OCI? Have you changed the pcv?

Relating to your poor-ish mpg-have you tried new plugs, checked the coils, drain and refilled the trans fluid, checked the tires?

I agree it will give you many more years of dependable service, maybe your first born can learn to drive on it?
wink.gif

Never adjusted the valves. That's one of the reasons I tested the waters. When I get some time I will. It's always burned a little oil. I had to replace the cat at just under 120k miles. Then again about 4-5 mos back since I sabotaged the replacement w/ non-OEM o2 sensors.

I have changed the tranny fluid a few times. I first changed it bc I started noticing a whine that is speed dependent and changed it a couple of more times since with just Maxlife. Whine never went away but never got worse. I figured either torque converter or awd clutch packs? Heck maybe the thing is locked in awd? Doubt it, but...

I've never checked/changed the coils. I've replaced the plugs twice. No change. I really thought when I put on my 2nd replacement cat, things would improve. It had melted and bits were everywhere. I noticed pieces were in the muffler and found one cheap online. That's my next step and one I would have done other night. But since I rounded off a nut right off the bat, I decided to wait until a shipment of fresh hardware was on hand to save me any headaches.

Yeah, I tell my oldest she's going to drive the V one day and she just cringes. She says she wants a Camaro, lol. Yikes...

Very clean engine there.
thumbsup2.gif

smile.gif

I'm very familiar with Shreveport. For awhile there I was driving to LSU Shreveport hospital, the ACC Clinic, and the Retinal Clinic every week. Now it's about every other week. 178 miles one way.
smile.gif

Man! That's a drive! Good ol' LSU Hospital. That's where my wife did med school/residency, of course...

Thanks for posting the pictures. Did you adjust the valves with the valve cover off?

I have an 03 CRV with 145,000 miles and adjusted the valves at about 135,000 miles. The valves were very close to spec and the factory valve cover gasket was still soft and pliable but I changed it anyways.

I'll post some pics the next time I have my valve cover off which I anticipate will be 250,000 miles.

Happy Motoring!!!

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Im from Lafourche Parish, Golden Meadow.

I used to work w/ a girl from Golden Meadow. She was a hoot!

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
It's a treat to open up a 5 pack of Valvoline and get a Hotwheels from that new movie "Cars" that's coming out soon...I bet it will be a hit!

LOL. I bet your're right! That movie could be big-might even generate a sequel, who knows?
laugh.gif

My 5 year old boy thinks I'm the best, lol.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Im from Lafourche Parish, Golden Meadow.

LOL! The Speed Trap Capitol of The United States! I have family there. And in CutOff.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back