Valve cover off-2002 Honda CR-V 140,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kool1
Thanks for posting the pictures. Did you adjust the valves with the valve cover off?

I have an 03 CRV with 145,000 miles and adjusted the valves at about 135,000 miles. The valves were very close to spec and the factory valve cover gasket was still soft and pliable but I changed it anyways.

I'll post some pics the next time I have my valve cover off which I anticipate will be 250,000 miles.

Happy Motoring!!!

No, it was a spur of the moment decision to take the valve cover off. As I'd mentioned just now in a follow up, I'd initially set out to replace the muffler but ran into issues. So instead I replaced the rear diff fluid. It was amazingly much more simple to do with my new siphon pump so I decided to top off the oil and do a test run of valve cover removal. Then my oldest came out to the garage 5 mins before her bedtime and asked for homework help. So no further tinkering was done that night, lol...

Originally Posted By: Brenden
The b20b will just keep on going, enjoy!

Good thing that "2" is in there.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Originally Posted By: Kool1
Thanks for posting the pictures. Did you adjust the valves with the valve cover off?

I have an 03 CRV with 145,000 miles and adjusted the valves at about 135,000 miles. The valves were very close to spec and the factory valve cover gasket was still soft and pliable but I changed it anyways.

I'll post some pics the next time I have my valve cover off which I anticipate will be 250,000 miles.

Happy Motoring!!!

No, it was a spur of the moment decision to take the valve cover off. As I'd mentioned just now in a follow up, I'd initially set out to replace the muffler but ran into issues. So instead I replaced the rear diff fluid. It was amazingly much more simple to do with my new siphon pump so I decided to top off the oil and do a test run of valve cover removal. Then my oldest came out to the garage 5 mins before her bedtime and asked for homework help. So no further tinkering was done that night, lol...

I'm interested in checking the valves on my k24a4, 115,000 miles and counting. At the risk of sounding ignorant, any special technique required for removing the valve cover bolts? I've read a few stories of the bolts breaking on removal.

How did the gasket look? I'm debating whether to order one or not.

In any event I'll take some pics of the valvetrain. Will most likely have time for the job in June.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

grin.gif

Why? Who is bob ? And why would he care?
48.gif

Or did you mean, b00b?
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: k24a4

I'm interested in checking the valves on my k24a4, 115,000 miles and counting. At the risk of sounding ignorant, any special technique required for removing the valve cover bolts? I've read a few stories of the bolts breaking on removal.

How did the gasket look? I'm debating whether to order one or not.

In any event I'll take some pics of the valvetrain. Will most likely have time for the job in June.

No it wasn't too difficult. The hardest part was prying loose the breather hose to the airbox. You just have to remove all the valve cover bolts, the coil packs and their bolts, the breather hose, and the bracket that holds the PS hose (isn't it the PS?) in place. You still have to kinda shimmy the cover out of there with that hose in the way and the coils and their wires pushed to just behind the engine.

Oh, and the gasket was in fine shape.

Last edited:
Regular LOF changes give you a clean engine. The pics do show plenty of visible camshaft wear; the engine appears to have plenty of life left in it. Keep the timing between the crankshaft and camshaft properly aligned (with regular Timing Belt services) and the CRV should last until the rust sets in.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Regular LOF changes give you a clean engine. The pics do show plenty of visible camshaft wear; the engine appears to have plenty of life left in it. Keep the timing between the crankshaft and camshaft properly aligned (with regular Timing Belt services) and the CRV should last until the rust sets in.

Actually I think it just appears worse than it is due to varnishing. I don't know if it was before or after these pics but I rubbed my finger on one of the lobes to see if I could "feel" any difference and the browner outer edges of the lobe lightened up to practically the same shade as the inner part. I can look down the filler hole of my '12 Si and see the same pattern.

Obviously, I'm not the poster child for OCD maintenance on this engine. But I think it's held up spectacularly well.

Not a b20b - it has a timing chain, so it's the k24 or k20 variant, which use timing chains. Either way it's a honda and the engine will outlast the frame if serviced properly. lol

Originally Posted By: k24a4
Originally Posted By: lexus114

grin.gif

Why? Who is bob ? And why would he care?
48.gif

Or did you mean, b00b?
blush.gif

The latter one.

Originally Posted By: accent2012

Not a b20b - it has a timing chain, so it's the k24 or k20 variant, which use timing chains. Either way it's a honda and the engine will outlast the frame if serviced properly. lol

k24A1 as I stated earlier.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
That's actually a first year k24A1 engine, btw...

LMAOOOOO you are right, that's what I get for posting on a forum 15 minutes after waking up!!!

The timing chain is a good give away T.T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back