Guy goes a million miles on group lll synthetics doing 15,000 mile intervals.

I love high mileage stories; this guy is a courier in the Texas area doing 15,000 mile intervals in his Honda Accord V6 using off the shelf Mobil1 5W20 from Walmart (and I believe other off the shelf brands as well). Found that interesting because of the weight of the oil - I figured in the Texas heat he’d bump it up to a 5W30 or something, but he didn’t. The engine developed a misfire at around 920,000 miles (burnt valve), he drove the remaining 80,000 miles on five cylinders. He bought a used engine and swapped it out when he reached a million.

This thread is LONG, but it’s some pretty cool documentation.

Here‘s his million mile engine tear down.

I don’t think he makes it that far in a direct injected Honda on those intervals. IMO. There’s another member on that site that tried to keep up with him in a newer DI Accord, but his engine failed (I think it was around 350,000 miles, not sure). Anyway, interesting that someone went that far on a 5W20 group lll synthetic in those temps down south.

But I thought engines running x20 were only designed for a 150k mile lifespan. But I thought x20 was no good for the heat. But I thought it was only for CAFE and detrimental to the customer. But I thought x20 hasn’t been around long enough to know.

But what I’m definitely sure of is it it WAS running x30 it would have made it to 3 million miles

A quality XX-20 meeting the spec of the application is an oil proven to protect. No issue there despite my affinity toward 5-30 when I can reasonably use it (my F150 5.0 called for 5-20 in 2015; my kids 4cyl Rav4 spec for 0/5-20). Love these long term, high mileage stories but not so applicable to most of our driving styles.

There ia one on F150 forum that tracks a auto part delivery man with his 2.7 Eco in a F150. That's a good one as well but again, not the typical driving style.

Thanks for posting OP.

I love high mileage stories; this guy is a courier in the Texas area doing 15,000 mile intervals in his Honda Accord V6 using off the shelf Mobil1 5W20 from Walmart (and I believe other off the shelf brands as well). Found that interesting because of the weight of the oil - I figured in the Texas heat he’d bump it up to a 5W30 or something, but he didn’t. The engine developed a misfire at around 920,000 miles (burnt valve), he drove the remaining 80,000 miles on five cylinders. He bought a used engine and swapped it out when he reached a million.

This thread is LONG, but it’s some pretty cool documentation.

Here‘s his million mile engine tear down.

I don’t think he makes it that far in a direct injected Honda on those intervals. IMO. There’s another member on that site that tried to keep up with him in a newer DI Accord, but his engine failed (I think it was around 350,000 miles, not sure). Anyway, interesting that someone went that far on a 5W20 group lll synthetic in those temps down south.

As long as the cooling system is functioning properly weight isn't really an issue for an intended application. The choice to use heavier weight than needed is largely the result of marketing along with the misidentification of the needs of ones application.

But I thought engines running x20 were only designed for a 150k mile lifespan. But I thought x20 was no good for the heat. But I thought it was only for CAFE and detrimental to the customer. But I thought x20 hasn’t been around long enough to know.

But what I’m definitely sure of is it it WAS running x30 it would have made it to 3 million miles
Honestly, I’m one of those guys that bumps up his viscosity to a 5W30 when it reaches around 120,000 miles (from 0W20).

The guy did have a burnt valve at 920,000 miles🤣🤣🤣. But I like to be proved wrong - and I’m not sure this proves it - but I do like the fact this guy went 1,000,000 miles using a group lll 5W20 in Texas heat. Makes me wonder if I should drop my viscosity back down to 0W20? probably won’t because the 5W30 seems to be doing great (no drop in fuel economy whatsoever). But it’s soemthing to consider, maybe.

A quality XX-20 meeting the spec of the application is an oil proven to protect. No issue there despite my affinity toward 5-30 when I can reasonably use it (my F150 5.0 called for 5-20 in 2015; my kids 4cyl Rav4 spec for 0/5-20). Love these long term, high mileage stories but not so applicable to most of our driving styles.

There ia one on F150 forum that tracks a auto part delivery man with his 2.7 Eco in a F150. That's a good one as well but again, not the typical driving style.

Thanks for posting OP.
You have a point there: most of use aren’t putting 200-300 miles a day on our cars going up and down the highway at 75 mph for hours on end. That is an advantage (one would think), and an easier life for an engine/and oil.

Although on the flip side, lately I seem to be reading a lot of posts about high speed highway driving and increased oil consumption. But still, it’s an easy way to accumulate a lot of miles very quickly.

As long as the cooling system is functioning properly weight isn't really an issue for an intended application. The choice to use heavier weight than needed is largely the result of marketing along with the misidentification of the needs of ones application.
I think that’s where it always gets murky (intended application), because we all want “more”. More capability, more of a cushion between intended and those instances where we might need more. It’s why we’ll go out and buy a better air filter, a better oil filter, plugs, whatever. For those rare opportunities when we need more, question is...do those opportunities actually exist? I guess if you’re towing, or hauling a payload or something?

You have a point there: most of use aren’t putting 200-300 miles a day on our cars going up and down the highway at 75 mph for hours on end. That is an advantage (one would think), and an easier life for an engine/and oil.

Although on the flip side, lately I seem to be reading a lot of posts about high speed highway driving and increased oil consumption. But still, it’s an easy way to accumulate a lot of miles very quickly.
I think it just depends on the vehicle. At 70mph my Tundra is humming along just below 2k rpm and the Kia is a tick over 3k rpm at the same speed.

And my apologies, it appears there was a similar thread on this car/subject several months ago (and I actually posted on it). 🤣 I forgot. I didn't remember where I heard about this car, but since then the guy did reach 1,000,000. And there’s a some videos of the tear down.

And my apologies, it appears there was a similar thread on this car/subject several months ago (and I actually posted on it). 🤣 I forgot. I didn't remember where I heard about this car, but since then the guy did reach 1,000,000. And there’s a some videos of the tear down.
I'm the master of not remembering I already replied to a thread only to come across my post just before I was about to reply to the post.

Honestly, I’m one of those guys that bumps up his viscosity to a 5W30 when it reaches around 120,000 miles (from 0W20).

The guy did have a burnt valve at 920,000 miles🤣🤣🤣. But I like to be proved wrong - and I’m not sure this proves it - but I do like the fact this guy went 1,000,000 miles using a group lll 5W20 in Texas heat. Makes me wonder if I should drop my viscosity back down to 0W20? probably won’t because the 5W30 seems to be doing great (no drop in fuel economy whatsoever). But it’s soemthing to consider, maybe.
Well I'd venture to guess a 0w20 is going to be as shear stable if not more so than a 5w30 under certain circumstances. Possibly more engine cleaning ability in the 0w20 vs 5w30 but that's just an assumption without knowing the actual oil.

Well I'd venture to guess a 0w20 is going to be as shear stable if not more so than a 5w30 under certain circumstances. Possibly more engine cleaning ability in the 0w20 vs 5w30 but that's just an assumption without knowing the actual oil.
Really? Never heard that before. Be curious to know if that’s true.

Blackstone labs interviews the accord owner as well on their podcast. It was a fascinating listen. He mentioned he bought a brand new engine from a company that bought new stock several years ago. I would have bought a new car myself but more power to him for being loyal to his car.

Last edited:
This story was discussed a few months ago. The owner is actually a recent "Bob" participant.

It seems likely that valve clearances were never adjusted, the exhaust valves got a bit tight and one burned. And thus the engine didn't make 1,000,000 miles "all in one piece".

examples that were done in a very short period of time,
20 years-ish?

So, if it’s highway driven and has high miles, it’s irrelevant because highway miles are easier than city miles. And if it’s city driven, it’s irrelevant because it hasn’t been driven enough

But one thing is for certain, x30 is better because more number = more better

Last edited:
Back