Dodge Durango 3.6L - second run of HPL 5w-20 - 12,000 miles on oil - filter pictures at 5,000 mile change interval run from 147,000 - 152,000 miles

Wow you chose a study from 1960. Impressive hehe. At least we have 60 years of consistency.

Well I hope this puts to rest all of that misinformation. Thank you for sharing.

It looks like they all agree.

As you posted too...

"Studies in laboratory engines equipped with radioactive piston rings show that wear is highest during a cold startup."

Last edited:
Wow you chose a study from 1960. Impressive hehe. At least we have 60 years of consistency.

Well I hope this puts to rest all of that misinformation. Thank you for sharing.
I've been in this space a loooonnng time...if you are poo pooing the study...then I'd check the source of the chart that you keep pulling out on liner wear...I've got that paper too somewhere...and it's not "fresh" by any means...are you following it's advice, and using SAE 30 exclusively rather than those not very good multigrades ?

BTW, not sure how many engines thtat you have seen in side, but there' a whole lot more than a piston, rings, and a liner.

For exampole, additional components in an engine include, but aren't limited to...bearings, both rotating and reciprocating, cams, and follower contact surfaces...lost of parts that I'm sure you can research, and form conclusions on, and form a much more complicated life equation than the handful of components that you are fixated on.

For example, in camshaft wear (which is also part of the wear process for any engine that has similar components), the specific (look up Sequence IVA...it's a "fresh" test that all engine oils have to pass...is specifically in the space that I've explained, as the lube thins out, and before the additives kick in

I've been in this space a loooonnng time...if you are poo pooing the study...then I'd check the source of the chart that you keep pulling out on liner wear...I've got that paper too somewhere...and it's not "fresh" by any means...are you following it's advice, and using SAE 30 exclusively rather than those not very good multigrades ?

BTW, not sure how many engines thtat you have seen in side, but there' a whole lot more than a piston, rings, and a liner.

For exampole, additional components in an engine include, but aren't limited to...bearings, both rotating and reciprocating, cams, and follower contact surfaces...lost of parts that I'm sure you can research, and form conclusions on, and form a much more complicated life equation than the handful of components that you are fixated on.

For example, in camshaft wear (which is also part of the wear process for any engine that has similar components), the specific (look up Sequence IVA...it's a "fresh" test that all engine oils have to pass...is specifically in the space that I've explained, as the lube thins out, and before the additives kick in

On the contrary there were members here who were stating that cold start was not when the highest wear occurs. ...oops it was actually also you in post number 107. After @kschachn in post 93.

And then you presented a study from 60 years ago that says cold start is exactly when the most wear occurs and it agrees 100% with the studies that I posted as well.

Again it was a good job clearing up this misinformation. I'm happy I could help!

Last edited:
Back