UPDATE - Defective Fram Ultra? Missing ADBV leads to engine damage in 2018 Mazda6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She wrote back after I sent a photo of the redesigned box:
"It has been awhile, but I believe this was the box since I only started buying the filter in 2020."

I guess this is something only a BITOGer would pay attention to haha

What number is this Ultra?

Fram part search says 6607

400x400_smart_fit.jpg

She wrote back after I sent a photo of the redesigned box:
"It has been awhile, but I believe this was the box since I only started buying the filter in 2020."

I guess this is something only a BITOGer would pay attention to haha
I don't think there was any redesign, the Ultra's basic design has been the same for many years. Only thing that's changed is it went from 15K to 20K max use rating, and the media might not have even changed when that hapoened.

Tell me, where are the pics of ANY other brand oil filter missing the anti drain valve, and it is inside the engine? The Fram valve is already 1/3 of the way into the center tube from the design. Others are not at all inside the center tube. That makes a difference. You want it to be others do it too, but it isn’t that way. You will defend Fram like you are hired to do it. 😄
As for liability it can’t be shown it left the factory like this. Anyone handling it after could be responsible. Fram could be responsible due to design defect that produces rattling filters if dropped, but lawyers are very expensive to convince the judge. Not that there is a judge or ever will be. It will boil down to good will and get rid of more bad advertising. People reading this already out in internet land may say no more Fram for me. So it needs to get swept under the rug ASAP. So get to sweeping.🧹
I'm sure you'll latch on to this one real tight since you jump on every opportunity to bad mouth Fram. You don't bad mouth any other filter brands when they show problems like you do Fram, it's blantenty obvious. I'm sure you will link to this thread any time another brand of filter shows any kind of problem.

You get these nonsensical ideas locked into your head without really thinking about all aspects, it's been your typical mode of operation for the last 10 years. If the design of Fram's ADBV was "bad" why haven't we seen multiple other failures like this one over the last 10 years? It failed because the guts were loose enough for the delta-p to push the ADBV inward and out of place. Even if the ADBV didn't protrude up from the base it would have still happened. It took it 10 km to fail, and it faled in Canada in the middle of winter - that should also give you a clue.

Last edited:
'No more fram for me'... never used one anyway 🤷‍♂️
They are like $20+ dollars over here. I was considering their racing filter at one stage but no. Just having some fun.

I don't think there was any redesign, the Ultra's basic design has been the same for many years. Only thing that's changed is it went from 15K to 20K max use rating, and the media might not have even changed when that hapoened.

Yes, you're right. There's no evidence the filter was redesigned.

I just meant the graphics on the box changed after Trico bought Fram.

I've still got one of the old boxes for my Honda, subsequent purchases from Amazon came with the new design.

Old box pre-Trico:
IMG_4102.JPG

New box post Trico:
s-l1600 (4).jpg

Yes, you're right. There's no evidence the filter was redesigned.

I just meant the graphics on the box changed after Trico bought Fram.

I've still got one of the old boxes for my Honda, subsequent purchases from Amazon came with the new design.

Old box pre-Trico:
View attachment 46234

New box post Trico:
View attachment 46235

Trico acquired Fram in 2011 and I can 100% assure you that Trico used what you are referring to as "pre-Trico" boxes for several years. The "post-Trico" boxes, as you call them, were introduced as recently as 2019 or 2020 IIRC.

Trico acquired Fram in 2011 and I can 100% assure you that Trico used what you are referring to as "pre-Trico" boxes for several years. The "post-Trico" boxes, as you call them, were introduced as recently as 2019 or 2020 IIRC.
Trico acquired Fram in March 2019 according to this
https://www.autoserviceworld.com/trico-acquires-fram/

This thread gives us an idea that the new boxes started around November 2019:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/new-fram-boxes.318354/

Fram was previously owned by Rank Group, which acquired Fram as part of a deal to buy the automotive consumer business of Honeywell International for US$950 million in 2011.

Reactions: wdn
How on earth . First time see this for myself . Keep us update on what fram dealing with this .

I want to know how that even possible of the adbv pass the oil filter . And how fram step up on dealing with this.

I guess Mobil 1 is on my to go high end easy availability at Walmart for now

OP is correct, the windshield wiper company acquired FRAM in March, 2019, which is less than two years ago. The FRAM brand has changed hands three time in the past ten years.

OP is correct, the windshield wiper company acquired FRAM in March, 2019, which is less than two years ago. The FRAM brand has changed hands three time in the past ten years.

Yep and the company renamed itself First Brands. They now control besides Fram, Champion Labs, Raybestos, Autolite spark plugs, Carter, Luberfiner, and Anco wiper blades amongst other names as well.

What exactly was the engine damage? Spun bearings, thrown rod, just general weird noises? Hard to believe there weren’t godawful valve train sounds, etc. (unless this Mazda has mechanical lifters?) and codes/warning lights galore? Not defending Fram here, but there are a still a lot of weird questions on this one. Like spotting Bigfoot riding on the Loch Ness monster...

Probably one in a million or less, even so someone is still is going to get the zonk. It happens, lets see if they do the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back