Turbo break in on my 05 sti

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone suggest other oils to run after the turbo is fully broken in? anyone have experience with a dare i say "perfect" summer oil? I live in PA.. so we can hit 100 sometimes and 110 on the race track. thanks.

With that being an dry center turbo I personally would run Redline. 5/40 probably. Without water cooling the turbo all the heat goes into the oil.
You have a turbo timer ? It is mandatory on a dry center. ( unless you like sitting in your car )

This is not a dry center turbo. It is WATER AND OIL COOLED. You can turn the car off and it will FULLY cool and circulate water through until it is cool.. hence the beauty of oil and water cooled turbos. If it were just oil then yes a TT would be needed.

pa-sale: Since you mention that turbo break-in article, I'd point out this quote:

"Change the engine oil and use a high-quality non-synthetic engine oil for turbocharger break-in."

Again, I'd suggest saving the GC (or any other synthetic) for after the 500 mile turbo break-in period that you mentioned in your original post.

yesyes i understand that quote. i called FP.. it would cause WAY more damange doing a vert to dino oil from synthetic to my engine... He primped the turbo with dino oil for 15 miles on their machine.. not on a car... he said it will be totally fine so long as it is THICK 30 weight.. hence why i wanted the GC. I will post my findings and results.

Gotcha pa-sale, good luck getting her up-and-running tonight. Can't wait to see her prowling the streets of the Main Line.

Hmm,. I was not under the impression that there was a wet center green. I have never seen one, all the greens I have done were dry.

Isnt subarus water circulation scheme great?

Good luck man, you will REALLY enjoy that 49lb/min turbo above 17 psi....

Vehicle - Subie LegGT '05:

Drained the factory dino (full mark on stick) at ~5,400mi.

Since, I had lowest consumption with M1 5w-30 last spring/partial-summer on a 7,500mile OCI. At the 5,000mi mark I was down ~1/2qt. US. This was pushing it daily always taching it passing everybody with the a/c running constantly. So there was heat and load. The UOA came back not bad at all. No extra metals.

I switched to TSUV late summer and with the same driving style used a bit over 1 qt. after ~5,500mi. The 2.5 ran 'sweet' on that oil. No UOA but I could still 'see through' a droplet when changed out at 7,700 miles. Stuff is just nice. (It's going away I hear...)

Just changed to 5w-40 Rotella synthetic at ~20,000mi, and I think cranking is slightly easier when cold. Want to do a UOA on this @ 7,500.

You might want a 15w-?? in the heat for your extra output.

quote:

Originally posted by pa-sale:
anyone suggest other oils to run after the turbo is fully broken in? anyone have experience with a dare i say "perfect" summer oil? I live in PA.. so we can hit 100 sometimes and 110 on the race track. thanks.

I still say M1 5w-40 ("Truck & SUV") would be a great oil for your STi. Only issue may be availability of it as I believe it's going to be reformulated shortly (according to some posts I've read).

Viscosity of some oils being discussed.

code:

TEMP GC 0W-30 M1 5W-30 RP 5W30

40 68.4 56 65.3

100 12 10 11

It seems to be all about viscosity. No?
Thinner oils (ie Mobil 1) seem to increase engine noise.

The Delvac 1/T&SUV 5W-40 would be my second choice for this engine. A very robust oil, indeed.

Well i broke the turbo in with some fresh royal purple 5w-30. Put 30 miles on it and did a full oil and oil filter change like proper precedure with a new turbo. I put in 4.75 qts of 0-30 GC green. Certainly seems thicker than m1 no question about that. engine seemed slightly quieter nothing too special, but the engine liked it. Even with 850cc injectors a BIG maf sensor, new turbo, new fmic and no tune, the car idled perfectly. I did not go into boost on my ride to the tuner so i cannot see if i burned any truly.

I will post my replies and also do a black stone lab report on my oil shortly.

Yes drew its real close to a 50 trim. In the DSM world its a 450+ hp turbo. Should really wake that sube up for sure!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back