Toyota dealer uncertainty in the oil viscosity used

It seems the dealers are incompetent in CA too. I told my Jeep dealer to keep the 2 free oil changes they offered with my vehicle. Sadly the risk far outweighed any reward I could possibly have letting them change my oil for free.
It is not CA, but here too. I found Toyota dealerships to be seriously challenged if you ask anything besides: how long it will take?
I went to buy transmission filter, and three people gathered to figure out whether 2015 Sienna has transmission filter. I did not want to state obvious, as I was trying to get the filter. In the end they said: "no it does not have, but leave your car with our professionals, they will take care of it." I almost started to cry laugh.
I got filter online from dealer from New Jersey.
Every time I go there to ask about some part it turns into investigation. I started to feel bad about those people waiting, happy they got free popcorn.

It is not CA, but here too. I found Toyota dealerships to be seriously challenged if you ask anything besides: how long it will take?
I went to buy transmission filter, and three people gathered to figure out whether 2015 Sienna has transmission filter. I did not want to state obvious, as I was trying to get the filter. In the end they said: "no it does not have, but leave your car with our professionals, they will take care of it." I almost started to cry laugh.
Every time I go there to ask about some part it turns into investigation. I started to feel bad about those people waiting, happy they got free popcorn.

Makes me glad I have a Ford.

Give parts desk the number. He types in computer. Goes and gets part.

I think Toyota needs to update their system if it's not that easy.

Forget part numbers. The fact that three "experts" cannot figure out obvious is a problem.

Reactions: JC1
I was having some fun. All kidding aside I think it is more of a national crisis after being a member here as long as I have. ;)

I hope you are not talking about a Service Advisor or the Parts Desk.

Qualifications: Prefer that you be breathing, have a high school diploma or equivalent and show up on time at least 3 out of 5 days.
Yes, parts desk. That is not excuse. I really do not care what are their qualifications, who they are, how old, etc. In 20 minutes they could figure out how to make transmission, let alone find a part.

I was having some fun. All kidding aside I think it is more of a national crisis after being a member here as long as I have. ;)
It's a lack of technical schools enrollment. Aviation tech schools are HUGE these days, I see it all over, county colleges are expanding their aviation tech training facilities and doing massive marketing to attract students for a industry that needs such skills. Automotive seems to be lacking on this front. Technology is advancing, and workers are becoming unskilled-lazy relying on a tube to show them a pic of a part w/ no knowledge to know how to even just lookup a part #, go get it if in-stock, and then make the sale. Many dealer parts places have you "take a walk to checkout", and/or "pay here, your receipt will be printed out over there".

Heck, I have parts credit from Lexus (via a letter and a credit number). If I go to the dealer to get a part and I don't have the vehicle with me, they don't want to "sell" me the part! How dumb is that.

I would almost bet they gave your vehicle the back lot sunshine treatment and the oil installed first time around is what is in your crankcase now. Really doesn't make that much difference. If I had a vehicle that used 0W-16, I would use 0W-20.

First Issue with incorrect viscosity was with my FORD Bullitt 2001. Brought it to the dealer for an oil change. I mentioned the engine took the new "low viscosity" 5W20. When I got the car back, I drove it out and it felt sluggish compared to how it drove when I brought it in. Checked they paperwork and the O.C. reminder sticker. They put in 5W30.
-
You may not know FORD has been recommending SAE20 for warm weather and SAE10 for Winter way back in the 1950's on the Y-block V8. How do I know? I looked at the oil viscosity recommendation sticker on a survivor car, a 1955 ford Customline with their first pushrod V8, the 272 cube Y-block. I even took a photo of it.
Here it is!
-
p.s: When I heard the engine run, sadly it had a deep bearing knock so I walked. And Yes I know they have solid tappet cam :)

WP_20200813_18_02_03_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
My second and third dealer woes with lubrication service oil quality and viscosity are:

2) Subaru Dealers are supposed to use "Genuine Subaru Synthetic". Dealer in Exeter, NH charges 96 bucks and then puts in PEAK 0W20!

3) VW 1.4 turbo oil change REQUIRES VW508 00 oil. Dealer in Greenland, NH installs bulk 5W40. I tell them it's wrong, they claim stupidity and wont budge. I bought and brought MOTUL 0W20 VW 508 00/ 509 00 and had them install it. Techs REFUSED and the service writer (nice guy) and I had to do it. Talk about Jerks.
I was thinking of a harsher word for the "grease monkeys" but I am trying to promote BITOG family values :)

Ask this question, what stealership these days have sales/service/cust-experience controlled by corp? None any longer, none that I know of. For most stealerships, corp only has their fingers in the customer-experience area. This leaves the other two areas wide open for abuse, lack of knowledge, and lack of care. Nobody should be falling for the "buy from us, we'll give you free stuff later" bit.

That good 'ol saying still holds true, if you want it done right better do it yourself, because everyone else is looking to cut corners to save a few $$.

My advice, if DIY is not an option then seek out a honest local small shop mechanic.

The window sticker was printed.

32LRaA0ZERvCCXQ9TTcvMTfdo8Sf3ZhoelFDjR2238oLRLfpEzekDRZF1LIUp4chtJbXyBod-hNlrN-7Fdf7i3Hf8RVsvMRM_3GMLTVxKeBevAQYwZWlXPYHTvoW9lfuS8lgimeIyPUjX-7IbAv1FvEAzHvQQyzC8U4PTs8Pvc4cdnBq9_9EjufxWtvgBdnc3e3rSlMM-7wV3OorPHGObb5Epg3ltFGRJf4w02DOqgoLWdJG0F51J7YXCNpF_kgvkCSrr5yuA6PAQ5ojTdnj2X3SqBsKlgxlNuaQoXRiDZfwEIsUYR_IMGxogzAlXdy12UhCjYPRk_UezKlBS2Nx2Jenlg-GIZjNRvlrq6ZRyiJg8DSfx25YJrLN2lHVY19KCWSlRLUcuQlvWpvQpBad6AMqS6970GN2cBHUQeXRFxO7xIh7k9-YdcN-2MDgVY03Uud27eKewUEXsZ47XhRCr9xQlpKciaUQte0yZugIUWaUBsvQpPOUM_oR1tvyPQtT9k4JTdfi4vX5L1pO2TUpBdsRUFxNThoiM-dRjlQPPa3Uv1V2skMf6BwvG3fPcDWXfpQgM5qf8_Pb-XOiLkFvX8uxknhnCZgkOErVPLWG6JchTHycIaIOJk1pkbJbErfk35fGp1lIGXIctThu1KcJmpWLlLBOVy7Umhi1QOGGsE322vpme9nxVs9zzvFJAg=w640

I now understand the problem the dealer is having. They have this "10KSYN Service - 10,000 Mile Complimentary Service - Synthetic Oil Vehicles" code in the service request, which automatically brings up 0W-20. They don't seem to have any room for 0W-16 in their service codes.

Looking at the part number, they conveniently list it as "00279SYN," which is one number short of being identifiable as 0W-16 or 0W-20.

I really doubt the technician actually looks at the oil-filler cap.

There is no excuse for 0W-16 not being available at the Toyota dealer. It has been in use in the Camry Hybrid since 2018.

When I went in for my freebie 10k mile oil change, the Lexus dealership used factory 0W16. I watched thru the customer lounge window as the service mechanic poured in 4.5 quarts, in single quart bottles, of this exact oil. On my invoice, it clearly stated "GTMO 0W16."

Reactions: JC1
If it was my car I'd want 0w20 in it, but you're right, it's the principal of the fact that they mislead you. Maybe if they advised you that 0w16 was mainly for fuel economy and 0w20 would protect as well or better and let you make the choice, but they kind of just swept it under the rug.

Two pages of replies including escalating the issue to the general manager. All with a ZERO CHANCE of his motor blowing up.

Gotta love the dealer hate on BITOG! :)

I just called the service manager at this dealer. He assured me that they used 0W-16. He said he just looked at the parts number on the computer and saw that the parts department sent them the 0W-16 oil. I also asked them whether they have 0W-16 in bulk (can we also call it draft?) or bottle, and he said it's only in bottle. He said the sticker is incorrect because they did it in a rush and their system is not updated. He said they can put the correct sticker if I bring my car back.

I will take his word and later find out if I notice a 0.3% drop in my fuel economy or not.* ;)

*Official fuel-economy limits for SAE 0W-20 GF-6A are 3.8% and 1.8% minimum improvement over SAE 20W-30 fully formulated reference oil for new and used oil (125 hours), respectively, and for SAE 0W-16 GF-6B they are 4.1% and 1.9%. GF6-A and GF6-B use ASTM Sequence VIE and Sequence VIF, respectively; therefore, I am not sure how fair it is to directly compare the numbers.

Last edited:

Wow. I’ve been in a GM/Mopar parts dept working only 1 1/2 months and even starting out I was never taking THAT long. Unless it’s some small thing on a ancient Chrysler that the customer is describing over the phone with no VIN #, THAT is a long ordeal where you get your manager and co-counterperson to help 😂

Back