Toughguard vs wix

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you're saying Puralor's testing is much more transparent because they list ISO 4548-12 as the test spec when their filters start to come apart?
laugh.gif

Just kidding, thanks for taking the time to make the phone call to Area 51.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Anyway, for all you guys who think the specs on WIX's website are the "bee's knee" ... they are all pretty nebulous IMO. Fram and Purolator, etc that actually reference ISO 4548-12 as the test spec they base their efficiency numbers on are way more transparent than WIX is.

Not really. Get a betas for "other" purolator filter numbers or betas from Fram (the "greater than" designation/metric is not used in ISO 4548-12). Everyone is playing hide the pickle for consumers trying to make a rational decision.

Still, it is just like Fram, with WIX you can't disprove or affirm their efficiency claims. But anyone can prove Tearolator fails.

^^^ LoL ... it sure seemed like I was talking to someone at "Area 51".

My feeling is that WIX has used some older test spec that makes their numbers look better. If they are not proud enough to say what test spec they have based their numbers on (like other manufacturers do), then something fishy is probably going on.

I'd agree, if it was to the latest spec why not post it? It wasn't and they figure they can just post some numbers and that will be good enough, for most it probably is.

One thing I have noticed about Wix, often their filter media is smaller.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Anyway, for all you guys who think the specs on WIX's website are the "bee's knee" ... they are all pretty nebulous IMO. Fram and Purolator, etc that actually reference ISO 4548-12 as the test spec they base their efficiency numbers on are way more transparent than WIX is.

Not really. Get a betas for "other" purolator filter numbers or betas from Fram (the "greater than" designation/metric is not used in ISO 4548-12). Everyone is playing hide the pickle for consumers trying to make a rational decision.

Still, it is just like Fram, with WIX you can't disprove or affirm their efficiency claims. But anyone can prove Tearolator fails.

There is no doubt that the statements Fram or Purolator uses that references ISO 4548-12 would have to stand up to scrutiny because any other filter manufacturer could verify if they are lying or not by simply doing the test per the ISO test spec. WIX is hiding that information so no other competitor can verify if their claims are true or not, because nobody knows what test spec their claims are based on.

I don't know why you are saying ISO 4548-12 doesn't use the "greater than" metric. It's something the manufacture can choose to express in the manner they see fit. As beat to death, Fram using the ">20" statement is not some voodoo mystery to understand. Frankly, it's pretty clear what they mean if the person reading the statement really knows what "greater than" means. Do you have a full copy of ISO 4548-12 to base that comment on?

And anyone could certainly verify Fram's or Purolators's claim statement quite easily. If they put that up on their website you can bet they can defend the statement if anyone tries to challenge them legally. Why do you think WIX and other DO NOT say what spec they use? There's probably a reason why.

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
I'd agree, if it was to the latest spec why not post it? It wasn't and they figure they can just post some numbers and that will be good enough, for most it probably is.

Exactly ... for most consumers they see "95% efficient" or "99% efficient" and they think it's really good. But a major piece of information is missing.

^^^ LoL ... it sure seemed like I was talking to someone at "Area 51".

My feeling is that WIX has used some older test spec that makes their numbers look better. If they are not proud enough to say what test spec they have based their numbers on (like other manufacturers do), then something fishy is probably going on.

Would not surprise me. All three are likely taking their "best case" to put forward.

As for area 51...Even when doing interviews/survey research for transport agencies, we could not trust folks to give accurate information, even from those who sole task was to keep up with the data. We would get different ridership numbers, funding, or different number of vehicles in an agency's fleet. It was wild. We could get a different answer from the maint. shop, the operations director, and the director. We had to track down the physical records to know for sure. Calling in can be useful but sometimes expect those hard numbers is beyond even an agency head.

So Wicks says nothing, not even if single pass or multipass test? Without a reference the data isn't very strong. I like Wicks, but they won't score me free filters for posting nice stories about them.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
So Wicks says nothing, not even if single pass or multipass test? Without a reference the data isn't very strong. I like Wicks, but they won't score me free filters for posting nice stories about them.

LoL ... yeah, bummer. I'd probably still use WIX/NAPA Gold, but maybe not as quickly as in the past. It all just seems so "secret underground" to me. Manufacturers who operate like that don't seem real trustworthy to me.

There is no doubt that the statements Fram or Purolator uses that references ISO 4548-12 would have to stand up to scrutiny because any other filter manufacturer could verify if they are lying or not by simply doing the test per the ISO test spec. WIX is hiding that information so no other competitor can verify if their claims are true or not, because nobody knows what test spec their claims are based on.

I don't know why you are saying ISO 4548-12 doesn't use the "greater than" metric. Do you have a full copy of ISO 4548-12 to base that comment on?

And anyone could certainly verify Fram's or Purolators's claim statement quite easily. If they put that up on their website you can bet they can defend the statement if anyone tries to challenge them legally. Why do you think WIX and other DO NOT say what spec they use? There's reason why.

Yes, Purolator use ONE filter across ALL of their product. Fram uses an unknown sum (likely of many particles sizes) of "equivalent" models. Both have plenty of maneuverability to avoid any legal items.

ISO 4548-12 tests at specific micron efficiencies. So the test is calibrated to specific micron sizes (but less than 99% at 10um), 4 micron, 6 micron, 20 micron and up to about 80 microns. So when Fram says greater than 20, who/are the collectively averaging the filtration rate from particles 20-80? You can test with multiple size particles so not giving which particles sizes above 20 they tested kinda makes the point mute. The standard is precise enough to say what something is AT 20 without using the greater than modifier. So while WIX isn't saying if they use the standard, Fram isn't saying how they counted the result...

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Why not use the ISO 4548-12 test results for Wix and Wix made-fors on the second page of this document?

http://www.mobil.com/Shared-Files-LCW/mobil-1-ep-oil-filter-design_amer_en.pdf

Good info ... that shows the WIX/NAPA Gold 51515/1515 being 98.2% @ 25 microns, which could translate to around 95% @ 20 microns as WIX claims. That data was back in 2007, so who knows what numbers are based on today.

Still funny that WIX won't divulge what test spec their numbers are based on. Being non-transparent makes you wonder.

Plus now that Microgard is a Wix made-for (not the case in 2007), the 82.8% efficiency @ 25 microns for the other Wix made-fors is not unreasonable based on the verbiage currently used on the O'Reilly web site.

"MicroGard Oil Filters provide good engine protection using conventional motor oil for normal driving conditions such as daily travel, throughout a traditional oil and filter change interval. MicroGard Oil Filter Laboratory Test Performance per ISO-4548-12: 13 grams dirt 95% efficient at 29 microns (Based on MicroGard MGL51515, MGL51356, and MGL57060)."

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

ISO 4548-12 tests at specific micron efficiencies. So the test is calibrated to specific micron sizes (but less than 99% at 10um), 4 micron, 6 micron, 20 micron and up to about 80 microns. So when Fram says greater than 20, who/are the collectively averaging the filtration rate from particles 20-80? You can test with multiple size particles so not giving which particles sizes above 20 they tested kinda makes the point mute. The standard is precise enough to say what something is AT 20 without using the greater than modifier. So while WIX isn't saying if they use the standard, Fram isn't saying how they counted the result...

So you think that Fram only puts in a ratio of 1 particle that is 20 microns and then puts in 99 particles that are 80 microns in size so the filter removes all the 80u particles so that only the 1% (all 20u particles) pass through? Then they can claim the "99% >20 microns".

Hummm ... boy, that's a pretty good stretch IMO. I'm betting the ISO test spec clearly stipulates exactly how the test dust needs to be mixed up and at what ratio of all sizes involved.

If you are saying the testers using ISO 4548-12 can play with the ratio of particle sizes as they see fit, then that is cheating from what the ISO test procedure would dictate. Is that what you are claiming here? I highly doubt the ISO test spec would allow such actions.

Yes from my understanding the specific iso 4548-12 standard specifies all of this so without a copy of the paper we don't know for sure. That one guy had it before he got booted. By quoting the ISO standards though it's hard to fudge anything. Either it's 20 microns 25 microns or 30 micron tests I think.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yes from my understanding the specific iso 4548-12 standard specifies all of this so without a copy of the paper we don't know for sure. That one guy had it before he got booted. By quoting the ISO standards though it's hard to fudge anything. Either it's 20 microns 25 microns or 30 micron tests I think.

Yeah, I highly doubt the ISO test spec can be manipulated much if at all. The mixture of test dust and the number and sizes of particles in the mix used during the test is probably very specific. That's what makes a standard a standard. No monkey business can take place if it's followed correctly.

Yes, "Mr ISO" was a bit too aggressive here and got himself smoked.

Nyogtha - good info. I see on the link you posted that there are all kinds of ISO test dust specs. I'm not sure which test dust spec ISO 4548-12 calls out, but I'm sure it must call out what dust spec to use. Bottom line is that the test dust size and mixture ratio distribution is defined as shown in your example.

So you think that Fram only puts in a ratio of 1 particle that is 20 microns and then puts in 99 particles that are 80 microns in size so the filter removes all the 80u particles so that only the 1% (all 20u particles) pass through? Then they can claim the "99% >20 microns".

Hummm ... boy, that's a pretty good stretch IMO. I'm betting the ISO test spec clearly stipulates exactly how the test dust needs to be mixed up and at what ratio of all sizes involved.

If you are saying the testers using ISO 4548-12 can play with the ratio of particle sizes as they see fit, then that is cheating from what the ISO test procedure would dictate. Is that what you are claiming here? I highly doubt the ISO test spec would allow such actions.

Not necessarily (I can't prove how Fram is counting just like we cant prove which test Wix is counting from).

I don't think Fram is using 1 20 micron particle and 99 80 micron particles. I would be more concerned if they are using the cumulative mass or volume of particles to determine the efficiency as then large particles would be weighted skewing things upward. For example of a particle with equal density, a single 20um particle is missed but a single 40um particle is captured, it might not be counted as 50% as it could be counted as mass or volume as easily as more than 60-70% from that application alone. I don't know if they are doing this, I kinda doubt it. But at the same time while I doubt Fram is doing this, I also kinda think that WIX is using ISO 4548... but neither can be proved one way or another.

Because ISO counts are very specific microns (and the dust link shows that particles can be made to exact sizes), then lets take the Mobil comparison with WIX in mind. Let's say that WIX uses the "greater than" definition too. It has:

We know there is at least a claim for:
95% at 20 (via WIX without documentation)
98.5% at 25 (via Mobil with ISO 4548)
So lets just take hypothetical for 30, 35, and 40 that reduce "missed" particles by 70% (which is the difference between 95% and 98.5%) for each 5 micron increase (this is conservative and simplified for demonstration), so:

98.95 @ 30
99.36 @ 35
99.49 @ 40

So, if we assume that all particles distributions are 1:1 the same with a simple count (not mass or volume), then WIX's capture rate is 99.07% for particles greater than 20um. Wait, whaaaa???? (My method: Efficiency % x 100 particles for each 5um increment size of 25-40 microns the divided by the total n of particles test). If you are curious about if I were to add 20 microns in, the result would be 98% at greater than and equal to 20um (note this is different than >20um).

This is what I mean when we do not know how Fram is counting or where they start counting from. We do not know where they slide within that >20um range to get that number. They could be counting in that >40um that I did not count for my example. I do know that >20 is not = 20.0001 and up as the standard does not use that distinction. Adding that > symbol opens a wide range of possibilities that Fram does not clear up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back